What's new

The Converter is Empty

strop

Now half as wise
Had 3 run dry yesterday. Parker Big Red with Sailor blue, Stipula flex nib with Liberty's Elysium and Parker Vac with asa-gao. At one point I had to borrow a Bic!:scared::cursing: I wasn't at my desk. The horror of it all. Really had to work to calm all the pens down after they thought I had betrayed them!

Mike H

Instagram Famous
... come to think of it, I only have one pen that uses a converter, a Sailor 1911, and it is currently empty.

Last edited:
Just emptied my Ahab with Noodlers blue eel - cleaned and put away into my pen case.

Replaced with my Pelikan 800 filled with 5 o'clock shadow - so should be good for a while given the massive ink capacity and fine nib.

Also filled up a 51 vac with a nice medium nib with PR burgundy mist

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Just emptied my Ahab with Noodlers blue eel - cleaned and put away into my pen case.

Replaced with my Pelikan 800 filled with 5 o'clock shadow - so should be good for a while given the massive ink capacity and fine nib.

Also filled up a 51 vac with a nice medium nib with PR burgundy mist
I empty my two Ahabs all the time, but I don't know where the ink goes, as I never write with them. Ahabs are my nemesis.

I empty my two Ahabs all the time, but I don't know where the ink goes, as I never write with them. Ahabs are my nemesis.

They seem to go through a ton of ink - even when adjusted for regular writing (minimum flex and modest flow). While I need to consider getting a better nib (I find the nib scratchy), I really like the pen and its a piece of cake to clean since you can take the thing apart so easily.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
They seem to go through a ton of ink - even when adjusted for regular writing (minimum flex and modest flow). While I need to consider getting a better nib (I find the nib scratchy), I really like the pen and its a piece of cake to clean since you can take the thing apart so easily.
What I should say is I never write with them. When I get them adjusted for good flow, the exposed part of the fees is extremely wet. None of my other pens are like that. Both of my Ahabs were near full, and sat unused for two months in my desk. When I had to use one the other day, both were near empty. No leakage detected in the drawer or pen body.

I emptied my TWSBI today for the first time. I actually ran out in the middle of a class; fortunately I carry a spare pen with me so I was good.

What I should say is I never write with them.

I don't have an ahab, but I do have an original Noodler's piston fill pen. It's got a hole in the cap that lets the ink evaporate at an alarming rate. It seems to dry the reservoir out in about a week, even if it's not used.

I do have an original Noodler's piston fill pen. It's got a hole in the cap that lets the ink evaporate at an alarming rate. It seems to dry the reservoir out in about a week, even if it's not used.

I also have one of the original Noodler's piston fillers and have had the same experience. I even went as far as covering the hole with a bit of tape and the ink still evaporated at about the same rate.

A real shame as it was an excellent pen otherwise.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom

My theory is that the Ahabs don't seal very well and air dries the ink.

My Stipula Modelo T ran dry on Iroshizuku asa-gao this afternoon.

I was reminded over the past couple of days why I don't use the pen very often. The nib is quite flexible, but the tines are smashed against each other a little bit. This causes some inconsistency in the way it writes, which is unfortunate. I would attempt to fix the problem myself if it were a gold or steel nib, but I really have no idea how a titanium nib would react to me attempting to bend it a little bit.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
My Kaweco sport just ran out of the sample of Noodler's red-black that I had in there.

I've washed it out, and once it dries I get to pick a new sample to try out.

Top Bottom