What's new

A Different Type of Futur Review (I've Seen the Futur and it's Good)

There have been two well done reviews of the Futur posted in the past few days here but they are both on the negative side. Neither reviewer had a favorable opinion of the Futur. I'd like to offer a review from the other side and some thoughts as to why I like this razor so much.

Let's begin by commenting on the most obvious features of this razor, the size of the head and it's weight. Yes it's a heavy razor and yes the head is larger than most any other razor except of course the Vision 2000. While many find these features to be a drawback I don't. The head is wider than other heads but not any taller per se. I don't find it any more difficult to get close under the nose than it is with a Super Speed or the 34C or 38C. The only razor I've tried that's easier to maneuver into this area is the Slim. A slight adjustment to my technique was all it took to reach up close under my nose.

The weight was only awkward for the first two shaves and not so much that I was put off. After two shaves the razor felt very natural in my hand and now my Slim, which has a decent amount of heft, would feel a bit light. The weight of this razor is a real benefit for those of us with heavy beards. Where the beard growth is very dense the weight really helps this razor plow through the stubble.

I'd like to offer some observations on the aggressiveness of this razor. It's widely opined that this razor is very aggressive and requires extreme care. Furthermore it's also said that beginners should avoid this razor. I don't share either of these opinions. Yes the Futur can be an aggressive razor at the higher settings but at the lower settings it's quite forgiving and let's face it, if you're new to wet shaving you need to be extra careful no matter which razor you try.

The Futur boasts the widest gap of almost any other safety razor, even at it's lowest setting. While this at first seems to support the idea that the Futur is super aggressive it really doesn't. Gap is only one factor in aggressiveness and some razors with very small gaps are quite aggressive. The Old Type is one example of this.

The gap on this razor is deceptive and I think this is because many people look at a razor's gap without considering the blade exposure. While these two factors are related they aren't the same thing. At the lower settings the Futur has a low blade exposure. Exposure is the amount of blade protruding beyond the tangent between the head cap and the safety bar. This low exposure on the lower settings combined with a very wide gap allows this razor to be gentle yet efficient. By contrast the Old Type has a very small gap but it has a lot of exposure making it quite aggressive. I was unable to shave with the Old Type without making my face feel like it had been worked over by a bunch of turn of the century union busters resulting in multiple nicks and weepers. Not so with the Futur. I really don't even think about wether I will draw blood with this razor.

One B&Ber mused that the wider gap may allow the skin to get caught more easily between the safety bar and the blade allowing for more frequent nicks. I actually think the opposite is true. The wider gap would actually mitigate agains the skin getting caught. I think a narrow gap will cause the skin to get pinched much more easily causing nicks and cuts.

So far I've tried, three Super Speeds including a Red Tip, a 34C and a 38C, the New and the Old Type, the De89 and the 2010 R41, and finally a Slim. Of all these the Slim set to 5 was the best razor providing great shaves but I still had trouble with occasional nicks on the chin which were happening more often than I'd like. I have the Futur set at 2.5 and I find this is the perfect balance between exposure and gap. The razor mows through my heavy beard without irritation and I feel very confident that I won't nick or cut myself. Set at 3 though the exposure increases noticeably and I get much more cautious with this razor. I don't even want to try it at 4. I really can't imagine how anyone could use this set at 6 but there are people that do. At higher settings the exposure increases as the tangent changes so of course and this razor can be quite aggressive if it's turned up.

I really like the snap on style head cap. Not only is it ingenious it makes blade changes quick and easy and I don't think it's any riskier than changing the blade on a three piece razor. In fact, in my opinion it's safer. The only real down side to the head design is in the adjustment. My advice is either take the blade out to adjust it or protect your hand with a towel before trying to adjust it with the blade still loaded. Many have cut themselves trying to adjust the razor with the blade installed. Like any sharp tool, a little respect and caution and you'll be able to use it safely.

I really like my Futur and I plan on using it for a very long time. It's very efficient at mowing through my beard and it doesn't irritate my skin. I realize that the Futur isn't for everyone but if you've got a heavier beard and you're frustrated with the performance of some of your other razors I suggest you give the Futur a try.

Attachments

• $P1010933.jpg
    $P1010933.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Well done, I too like the Futur and enjoy the shaves I get from it, unfortunately I'm using a number of great razors in my rotation so I don't visit it that often

Last edited:
Great review. I used my Futur today setted at 3 and its a joy to shave with this beauty. One of my favorites in fact if not my all time favorite.

Sergio

As to the problem with adjusting, I'm stumped about why it's such an issue with so many users. I have never adjusted a Futur any other way than to lean the head against my bathroom counter with a facecloth on it with the numbers facing me and slowly twisting the bottom part of the handle. You can do it easily and just as safely as with any other razor. In between cuts, not passes, in seconds. This keeps it nicely away from your face when adjusting. I also found a 12 hour soak in extra virgin olive oil, followed by a thorough clean was enough to make this mechanism silky smooth.

p.s. I love the polished finish!

I agree that the exposure of the Futur is different, and when dialed down it is a decently forgiving razor, and could easily be tamed by a beginner.

My issue with the Futur is the horrible, sloppy, shoddy production/fit/finish of the product, and if a noob gets one that is average-to-bad in the tolerance department, they might not realize that one side of the razor is significantly larger than the other, or that the blade/head are sitting crooked with regards to the safety bars.

The underlying polish, plating/pits/finish are horrible, and customer service is non-existent.

If the Futur were a $7.50 Chinese made razor, the quality would be commensurate with the price, however at 10X that price, the build quality/fit/finish/durability is totally unacceptable.
(It might be made in China for $3.00 - who knows what criteria must be met to be called German made, the metal work, finishing etc. may be done out of country, and assembled in Germany, I don't know, don't really care.)

Hmm, the fit and finish on mine is fine. The gap is even and there are no problems. I think it's a mistake to say that the gap is un-even as a blanket statement covering all Futur razors. You might be better off saying that your particular razor had a defect. Clearly many of us have Futurs that have no issues but if you feel you simply must complain, well this is America and you're free to do so.

There is a recent thread here lauding the excellent customer service a Futur owner received from Merkur.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/273664-Merkur-Customer-Care-Awesome?highlight=Dovo%2FMerkur+service

Love my Futur (did have to send my first one back, but not for tolerance reasons that would result in bad shaves).

Great heft. Great blade changes. Great adjustability. Looks outstanding. A bit slippery but solved with the rubber sleeve off of a pen.

I like my Futur. It was my first high-end DE and it sees regular use. Mine is set at 5.5 and I have no problems with cuts or nicks...I just don't hurry.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Great write-up. :thumbup1:
If I had to start all over again, I would choose the Futur and the Slant (in that order).

Futur was my first new DE razor since purchasing a Gillette Super Adjustable back in 1983.

I still use it but I prefer the other Merkur giant over it.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Great review.

I concur with your view that while it can be aggressive it is not dangerous. Even set at 4 with a Feather as long as I don't rush I get a fine shave and it's rare for me to have even a weeper let alone a nick. I've started dialling it down a bit for the ATG pass and for my neck and that seems to finish the shave off very well.

As for adjustment - you just need to hold it right. The counter or towel method works, but even simpler is to hang it from your first and second finger and put your thumb on the top cap. You can then easily adjust it with absolutely no risk - even if the head were to slip and turn it doesn't hit anything. To be honest I didn't figure this out until I had sliced myself once by being careless but I was just being stupid. Now that I know how to hold it it's safe and the cap and blade change is safer and easier than my other razors.

Futur on 6+ with a feather. Now that's a combo that gives a smooth shave.
As for the aggressiveness of this combination, use proper technique and you wont have a problem. As a matter of fact, if you use the futur/feather@6+ combo, and get a phenomenal result, you have clearly perfected your technique.

Very good review, Foyle.

I prefer a milder razor, and use both the Futur and Vision 2000 on their lowest settings and find little difficulty getting a smooth shave. I should qualify this by saying that I shave every day, 7 days a week, and on the very rare occasion that I have let my beard grow out for a few days, the Futur at low setting was a waste of time, it barely cut any whiskers at all. Adjusting it to 4, it ploughed through the beard like a scythe, so there is obviously varying degrees of effectiveness between men with different beard density.
My biggest gripe with the Futur is shaving around the corners of the nose, unless you are careful, it will bite.

I found it took some getting used to, as did the Vision, after using the more traditional DE's, but like many things, practice makes perfect.

Top Bottom