What's new

I love both bourbon & scotch, but to me bourbon burns more going down. Thoughts?

This is an across-the-board observation for me, and I've had decent bourbons. I'm not talking bottom shelf plastic bottle stuff.

Just wondering if any of you guys agree or have had similar observations. I dearly love bourbon despite the burn. I'm just wondering why scotch seems to be so much smoother.

I find there is more burn to bourbon as well. It has a more raw feel to it, IMO. But sometimes the burn is why I like it so much. I think it has to do with bourbon's higher proof (in most cases) as well as their use of only new oak barrels and again in most cases, their shorter aging periods compared with Scotch.

The burn has to do with the use of a fresh oak barrel as well as the fact that bourbon is only single distilled. Scotch is double distilled. Irish whiskey is the smoothest of all because it is triple distilled.

Dont mind either but Bourbon does burn a bit more , but as a mainly rum drinker I find it a mild burn compared to most rums.

Try Russell's Reserve bourbon. For me there is no burn going down. Perhaps one the reasons for bourbon having a little bit of roughness to it is that some are higher in proof.

Not sure why Scotch is smoother, but I think good Bourbon is better. Van Winkle, LOT B, 13 years old...down right orgasmic!

Indeed :) Myself, it depends on my mood. I can appreciate the smooth, somewhat sweeter Irish, but I can really sink my teeth into a peaty, smoky Islay malt.

-Joe

I really think that any brown liquor drinking is an acquired taste. I have found that one must try several examples of either bourbon, irish whiskey or scotch until you find "the one" that works for you. The upside is this could be a long and enjoyable journey based on the sheer variety you will find in each category.

I agree that generally speaking, bourbon burns more than scotch. However, in the world of fine bourbons, this is not the case. May I suggest you try a bottle of Evan Williams Single Barrel? While my tastes decidedly lean in favor of single malt scotch, I do dabble in bourbon for a change of pace. I recently purchased a bottle of this, and it is easily one of the smoothest, easiest drinking whiskies I have had the pleasure to try. It is on the expensive side (paid $50.00) at the duty free shop at Ben Gurion Airport in Israel, but well worth the expense. Many of the classic bourbon producers are now distilling higher grade products, and I would certainly look into some of these offerings. The Evan Williams truly surprised me, and it is something I would absolutely buy again.

Bourbons tend to be younger than scotch which makes it a rougher around the edges. The use of fresh barrels makes it sweeter than scotch because it pulls the majority of the sugars out of the wood in the first ten or so years. Scotch tends to me a little more mellow because it spends it's time in either used whiskey or sherry barrels and ages longer on average than most bourbons. I love a fine bourbon or scotch. 4 roses makes a single barrel and a small batch that are so different but equally amazing. Macallan makes nice s of us in a sherry oak style and more refined scotches in a fine barrel category where they use two type of sherry oak and bourbon oak. Great topic

I may have to try a better bourbon, as most have burned a bit on the way down. I've only had Jim Bean and Wild Turkey, usually in shot form and usually in a pretty ****ty bar.

I think you've answered your own question!
I've never really had the chance to buy any really nice bourbon, but even the middling, smooth ones have lacked that complexity of taste which marks out a nice Malt whisky. Something like glenlivet's 21yo special reserve keeps you interested till long after you realise you should have stopped a few glasses earlier!

It honestly depends on the bourbon I think. I've tried all types of bourbon and some do burn a bit more. Try some Woodford Reserve. I could sip on that stuff all day. I really haven't tried much in the form of Scotch. I think all I've tried was Chivas Regal. I wasn't all that fond of it. It was okay, but I'll take Woodford over it any day.

So would most whisky drinkers.
Chivas Regal is not good and not in any way representative of whisky. It's designed to be as inoffensive as possible, read bland.

Top Bottom