What's new

NCAA Conference And National Tournament Thread - Lets Get It On!

Who else follows NCAA basketball? I follow the Jayhawks as the user name should imply. Big 12 conference tournament starts tomorrow though the 'Hawks won't have to play till Thursday via their first round bye for winning the Big 12 regular conference for the eighth straight year. This will be a tough conference tourney since Missouri is REAL good this year as well. Kansas State will likely be looking to bruise somebody's shins real good as well. After that the NCAA national tournament is wide open this year. I don't care about Kentuck' and their five lottery picks. Awesome players but starting new guys every year never seems to translate into NCAA championships. Syracuse is great but I have watched them. We'll see how things go on selection Sunday.

Cheers, Todd

Go Hoosiers. I believe the only team to beat the Cats this year, and one of only two teams to beat 3 top 5 teams this year. The other being the Jayhawks. Man I have been waiting a long time to say that. Been a long 4 years. Again I say, go Hoosiers.

Sorry Chad. I didn't mean to besmirch the Wildcats. It was more directed at Calipari. And mind, he was a Kansas assistant coach at one time. But both his final four runs(Memphis and Mass) have been vacated due to violations. I hope it doesn't happen to old Kentucky. Remember, Kentucky was put on the map by another Kansas guy, Adolph Rupp. So we are kind of fond of the program up here. I just don't like the whole sell thefarm every year with new players approach. It never seems to quite work. But old 'Cal may pull it off this year.

And I am tickled pink the Hoosiers are making noise again. It just didn't seem right to not have them be a major factor in NCAA basketball. One of the blue bloods you know. Can't have them down too long.

Cheers, Todd

No worries, Todd :wink: I'm by no means a Calipari apologist myself, though I am pleased to be able to say that no one has been more vocal than he about wanting the era of the one and done to be over. Sadly, the chances of that happening in the near future are nil since the recent NBA CBA :frown: I miss the days of being able to follow a player through his entire career at a school; of watching a team develop over years, not months.

And whavens, I join both you and Todd in being pleased to see Indiana rise again. Growing up I remember the UK-IU rivalry being one of the best in college sports. I'd love to see us get there again, and wish IU well in the tournament. It'll be interesting, I think, to see how the Big 10 teams fare in general this year.

Agree with everything said here so far.

I believe this UK team is the real deal, but in the tourney, anything can happen.

I spent time at UK, and UNC in my younger days, and the Heels are peaking at the right time. (just ask the Duke Fans)

Syracuse is a force, as well as Michigan State and as always Kansas.

I live near Western Kentucky and glad to see them in the tournament.

Let the Madness begin.

Jeff

Well, my Jayhawks pretty well handled Texas A&M today. And Baylor took it to Kansas State. So tomorrow we have to take on a pretty talented Baylor team that will have a lot to gain by knocking off KU. Particularly arte we swept them in conference this year.

How did your conference tournies go?

Cheers, Todd

Louisville fan here. They had a great game tonight that I didn't see coming (especially the outstanding game from Siva). This year has been consistently excellent D and spurts of good offense. Overall a fun, yet frustrating team to watch. I could see them with a punchers chance to go elite 8 or out in the 1st round. The Marquette game roped me back in. ND or USF next! I can't wait to see the potential tourney match-ups!

I'm not one of those who actively roots against UK. In fact, UK looks like a final 4 lock. The brow-down is the best big man IMO since well before Oden. Simply amazing!

Tarheels all the way! I was in Chapel Hill, NC from 1998 - 2003. I hope my heels can continue their momentum through the ACC & NCAA tournament. I have to admit we have had some real poor performances this season for the level of talent on the team. All it takes is one of those nights in the tournament and you are gone.

Last edited:
Brent, I know your fear. When Roy was at Kansas we had a few of "those" years. 92, 97, 03. Everyone frets about 97 but it never bothered me like the others. Arizona beat three #1s that year to win it all. We would likely have won it all if we made it past Az. Ah well. The one that bothered me most was 03. We had Collision and Heinrich and once again the team choked and looked like deer in the headlights as they got schooled by FRESHMEN. I don't care that one of them was Carmello. He was not a one man show. Anyroad, you are right to be a bit fearful. Roy has some SERIOUS talent on that team and the weird losses should make your gut churn a bit. Look up Roy/Kansas tourney games with UTEP, Rhode Island and a few others.

As much as it pains me to say it, Ks is not going deep in the tourney this year. Look, they won conference when expected finish well back in the pack. Self did an amazing job. One thing his teams are is tough. However, this team is not deep and they lose game focus at times. This is disaster for them
this year. Witness the frantic comeback theyhad to make against Mo and then the lackuster performance against Baylor last night. This team must force other teams to play poorly or it is going to be a short tournament for Ks.

Cheers, Todd

Should be a good tourney this year. A lot of really good teams, most of which are playing very well this past week. I haven't cared much about conference tourneys, but a lot on the line right now.

Well, the seeds are in and the Jayhawks are #2 in the Midwest region. Truth be told I was sort of glad they didn' t wind up with the #1 target on their backs this year. They do not have the bench for it. Our starters are VERY good. Witness Thomas Robinson as a finalist for national player of the year. Tyshawn Taylor is just about at the top of the heap of PGs as well. Center Jeff Withey is a GAME CHANGER with over 100 blocks this season. However, if they have a bad night or foul trouble shows up it is a murkier situation.

When they lose focus and the killer instinct they get into trouble fast. We were right there with old Kentuck' for a half and should have flatly beat the Duck Blue Weevils. KU lost focus and with K at the helm it amounts to suicide. You don't lose focus with Duke or you get your drawers dropped and arse smacked. They did it with Davidson as well. So concerns mount. The other side of the coin is of the six losses they incurred ALL were to ranked and/or tournament teams. UK, Duck, Davidson, ISU, Mizzery, and Baylor. Of those six, four are top ten teams. Not too shabby. It s why I want them to fly under the radar a bit. For all the coaching Self did this year, and Lord knows it was one of his best turns, he cannot seem to get through to them they cannot just muscle their way out of ******* attacks like the 08 squad could do. They have to bring it full on every possession this year with that short bench. And when they are focused they can not only play with anyone in the country but beat anyone in the NCAA. We will see which version of the team makes its way through the tournet. Right now my confidence meter is a bit low.

Cheers, Todd

Big time upsets in the round of 64. Duck Blue Weevils ousted. Missouri ousted, which is particularly sweet for Kansas and other B12 teams. And then I got to see Duke Vitale's prediction of Detroit upset of my Jayhawks blow up in his face. We led by as many as 25 at one point. He was their coach years ago so I was glad yo see ole Dukie V miss that one by a mile.

Issues.KU turnovers. Too many in the first half. Most of them unforced. Self was about to pull his hair out. It kept Det in the game far too long. They righted it and went on a 15-3 run. Game over yeah? Well not so fast. Second half KU does two things well they've done all year. First they pound the dog water out their opponent building a nearly insurmountable lead, then inexplicably go into siesta mode for awhile and try to let the other team back into it.

They had two or three STUPID turnovers to let Def crank off 9 straight points. Here we go again. Then they had a six minute stretch without a score and still won by 15. Even though they were a legit tournament team KU should beaten them by 30 last night. Focus is the issue. Kansas pulls this with a better team and it's bye bye tournament.

Lets get some other teams fans in here. I kind of want to hear how you think your team is doing.

Cheers, Todd

Last edited:
Anxiously awaiting todays games. Hoosiers made it through the first round. Hoping they can continue to play well. Jordy Hulls shot the lights out Thursday, and finally got a decent big man. How many times do you see the youngest brother be the best of the bunch, after getting hammered by his older siblings all his life. And how many families have 3 Mr. Basketball trophies on the mantle? I love this time of year, but hate that it signals the end of college basketball.

Does it make me a bad person to be happy that Duke lost? I hope not. I like to think that this just gives Coach K a chance to relax and watch the rest of the tournament on TV, and his kids can get back to their schoolwork. The best of all possible worlds.

I'm pretty happy with how my Tarheels are playing so far. All across the state, loyal 'Heels fans have been doing hoodoo to get John Henson's wrist healed, and I have a feeling that he'll be back when we need him. I think that this is going to be the year for Roy and his boys. My brackets show them having an ACC rematch with NC State (sorry Todd--I think that KU is going to get upset!) and finally winning the title in a rubber match with the Noles. Of course, my optimism might be fueled by the very nice Irish brunch that I just finished.

However it turns out, it's been a great tournament so far.

It is never bad form to be pleased that Dook is watching the tournament rather than participating in it. UNC and Kansas are in the same region so it could get interesting if they meet again. I think UNC has more athletes than we do but Roy's team this year has these quirky tendencies(like his Kansas squads) to lose in the oddest of fashions. Don't mean to jinx you guys...ahem, right! Don't be surprised if...well just don't celebrate till you see them in the championship game.

And though it is near sacreligious I think Kansas is primed for an upset. And not because of arrogance or overconfidence but from lack of focus. This has to drive Self nuts. His teams FEED LIKE SHARKS off good D. They are consistently top five in fg% and even this year are holding teams to about 38% shooting. But when they daydream they come apart fast. I just hope if they do exit early they make a good show of it.

Cheers, Todd

It is Always bad form to be pleased that Dook is watching the tournament rather than participating in it. UNC and Kansas are in the same region so it could get interesting if they meet again. I think UNC has more athletes than we do but Roy's team this year has these quirky tendencies(like his Kansas squads) to lose in the oddest of fashions. Don't mean to jinx you guys...ahem, right! Don't be surprised if...well just don't celebrate till you see them in the championship game.

And though it is near sacreligious I think Kansas is primed for an upset. And not because of arrogance or overconfidence but from lack of focus. This has to drive Self nuts. His teams FEED LIKE SHARKS off good D. They are consistently top five in fg% and even this year are holding teams to about 38% shooting. But when they daydream they come apart fast. I just hope if they do exit early they make a good show of it.

Cheers, Todd
ftfy

Nah, you forgot the Dook jab so your correction is null. Besides, it still does not negate that K is the best coach in the NCAA. Yeah, as a Kansas fan I can say that because it is the truth. I still like it when you go home early.:001_tt2:

Cheesrs, Todd

Top Bottom