What's new

London Mixture....thoughts?

So the other day I'm smoking London Mixture in a new Missouri Meerschaum. It is Saturday morning, chilly, whatever. So I bundle myself up, brew myself a cup of coffee, and get started.

Dunhill's London Mixture straight out of the tin smell fantastic. Reminds me of Creed's Tabarome if I have to compare it to anything. There is enough Latakia in there that it adds that smokey leathery nuance that I like but it doesn't detract from the sweetness of the matured Virginias. So I load my bowl up and I think I'm going to get a fabulous treat.

Well, for me I don't really taste that much in London Mixture. To me it reminds me of sucking down bland ash and occasionally I can get the smokiness from the lat or the sweetness of the Virginias. But all I can say is that it was a very flat smoke. Very cheap. Reminded me of smoking a brand that we used to buy in college called Sail. Not really noticeable or offensive.

It is the Bryant Gumbel of tobacco.

Does anyone get this? I remember smoking Nightcap and finding it tasty (but overwhelming). I've never tried Early Morning Pipe or Balkan Sasieni so I don't really have anything to compare other than GLP's Piccadilly, which I used to smoke in college. Has Dunhill just lost the edge?

Last edited:
If you like the original London Mixture before even Murry got a hold of it, GLP Westminster is very close. I don't mind orlik's version but I don't like it either, do like orlik's 965.

If you like the original London Mixture before even Murry got a hold of it, GLP Westminster is very close. I don't mind orlik's version but I don't like it either, do like orlik's 965.

I unfortunately never tried the London Mixture in its original incarnation. I tried Nightcap, though. It was delicious but it would knock me on my butt.

Hopefully someone out there likes the Orlik mix, because I don't.

Last edited:
Even the Murray was better than this new Orlik version of LM. I'd recommend giving Samuel Gawith Skiff Mixture a try. It's my favorite English blend.

I haven't had London Blend since Murray's used to make it. Actually still have a half a tin sealed in a jar somewhere. It used to be a fantastic blend when Murray's made it; can't say I cared for the Orlik version.

Top Bottom