What's new

Blind test #6 - Gillette 7 O'clock, Yellow vs Black

Shave #1

Test set up as described in this thread here. This test compares the two Gillette 7 O'clock blades that I have - the Russian Yellow "Sharp Edge" and the Indian Black "Super Platinum". I'm using two EJ razors, one black handle and one white, and I don't know which blade is in which.

White = right side of face
Black = left side of face

Brush = Vie-Long 13800M
Soap = Arko Regular cream
AS = 4711

Pass 1, WTG: Both felt smooth, but the blade in the Black razor had more of the "sucking to my skin" sharpness feel to it. I felt a little more resistance around the chin area with white.

Pass 2, XTG: Both felt very good, but Black (razor) felt a little sharper.

Pass 3, ATG
: Same again, with Black (razor) feeling that little bit sharper - but both felt smooth enough.

Closeness: Close inspection showed a very close shave on both sides, with really no discernible difference. It's actually pretty near BBS.

Comfort: No irritation, and both sides felt fine.

AS: I got more of a sting on the left/Black side than the right/White side from the 4711, suggesting that Black had actually gone a little closer and removed a bit more epidermis, which fits in with the feel that it was a little sharper over all.

(It's confusing having a "Black" blade and a "Black" razor, but all references to Black are to the razor - I don't know which is which blade)

Last edited:
Ooooh, I'll be watching this one.

I tried the yellows hoping they were the blades for me, but was a little bit disappointed (probably my poor technique at the time).
I have recently tried the blacks and they are my favourite blades to date.

Keep up the good work

Totally agree with your observation here that the black is sharper, but I think the Yellow is smoother.

Totally agree with your observation here that the black is sharper, but I think the Yellow is smoother

Well, it's the blade in the black-handled razor that seems to be sharper on the first shave - but I don't know whether it's the 7 O'clock "Black" or "Yellow" blade.

I've got a Black loaded for today. Used it yesterday. Respectfully sharp. Probably less sharp than the GBE and Silver Blue I recently blindfold tested. I have some Yellows but it's been awhile since I've used them. When I first used Yellows I thought they were great and bought some quantity. I started struggling with them and eventually took them out of rotation. Felt rough and not as sharp as the others in my top rotation.

Subscribed!

Great!!! keep on the good work Alan!

+1 on that!

I am very familiar with both of these blades and like both of them very much, so much so that I have several hundred of each in my stash. This will be an interesting comparison. I too have experienced what Alan refers to as that "sucking " feeling that a sharp blade will have with the 7OC Black. I'm not so sure that I have experience it with the 7OC Yellow, but I'ts been a few week since I've used one. I will say the the 7OC Black has a very nice, unique feel to it that I haven't experience with any other blade that I can only best describe a "comfortable closeness" that belies the sharpness of the blade. In it own way, the 7OC Yellow has this too, at least to some extent. I really enjoy Alan's blind tests as they fairly eliminate our preconceptions that we have towards certain blades.

I too have experienced what Alan refers to as that "sucking " feeling that a sharp blade will have...
I'm glad someone knows what I'm talking about - I found it tricky to explain :001_smile

Shave #2

Test set up as described in this thread here. This test compares two Gillette 7 O'clock blades - the Russian Yellow "Sharp Edge" and the Indian Black "Super Platinum". I'm using two EJ razors, one black handle and one white, and I don't know which blade is in which.

White = left side of face
Black = right side of face

Brush = New Forest 2-band super
Soap = MWF
AS = Flöid blue

Pass 1, WTG: Both very good, both smooth. Black (razor) felt a bit sharper overall, and White felt a bit smoother on my top lip.

Pass 2, XTG: Black seemed exceedingly sharp for this pass and shaved beautifully, but White was really only a fraction behind. Both felt very smooth.

Pass 3, ATG
: Again, Black seemed a bit sharper, noticeable around the chin and the top lip.

Closeness: A very close shave from both again, with no differences apparent. There are a couple of tiny areas at the base of my neck (one on each side) that I'd usually touch up, but for these tests I'm sticking with straight W/X/A.

Comfort: Comfortable and irritation-free.

AS: The usual great feel from Flöid blue - just a tiny bit of sting, then the cool tight feel, both sides indistinguishable.

Overall, after the equivalent of one full shave each, there's not a lot between them. The one in the Black razor does seem sharper, but it's really not by very much.

(Again, all references to Black are to the colour of the razor handle, not the blade - I don't know which blade is which )

Shave #3

Test set up as described in this thread here. This test compares the two Gillette 7 O'clock blades that I have - the Russian Yellow "Sharp Edge" and the Indian Black "Super Platinum". I'm using two EJ razors, one black handle and one white, and I don't know which blade is in which.

Brush = Turkish #6
Soap = Arko stick
AS = Arko Cool splash

Pass 1, WTG: Pass 2, XTG: Pass 3, ATG: Describing all three together today, because things seem pretty clear at this point. As with the first 2 shaves, both blades were sharp and smooth, but the blade in the Black razor was a little bit sharper. This time, I thought the blade in White felt a little smoother. I got two small weepers from White ATG and one small weeper from Black ATG - stopped by a dab of the styptic.

Closeness: Pretty much BBS this time on both sides. It was only 32 hours since my last shave, and I usually shave every other day, so there was less stubble to remove.

Comfort: Little bit of irritation on both sides today, which is very possibly because the short time since the previous shave hasn't allowed my skin to recover enough - I do notice irritation if I try to push it and shave too often.

AS: A fair bit of sting from the Arko AS today, but it settled quickly and my face soon felt fine. As I write, my face feels very nicely shaven and comfortable. And I think the Arko Cool has a really nice clean scent.

Overall, this is pretty much the same picture - both blades pretty similar, but with the one in the Black razor being a bit sharper. The one in the White razor seems a bit smoother at times, but the smoothness difference is less pronounced than the sharpness difference.

This will be sooo interesting for me. I've done a Yellow/Blue/Black comparison four times. The results were very close between the three of them every time. However My favorite from the first three comparisons was my least favorite this last time I did the comparison. Interesting that for the first time I used a different razor for the comparison than I did the first three times. Maybe this "blades may rank differently in different razors" thing is really true.

This will be sooo interesting for me. I've done a Yellow/Blue/Black comparison four times. The results were very close between the three of them every time. However My favorite from the first three comparisons was my least favorite this last time I did the comparison. Interesting that for the first time I used a different razor for the comparison than I did the first three times. Maybe this "blades may rank differently in different razors" thing is really true.
It is...

I am currently feeling out a G7oC black before I try the yellow, blue, and greens, so I am anxiously awaiting your review on these two blades.

Shave #4

Test set up as described in this thread here. This test compares two Gillette 7 O'clock blades - the Russian Yellow "Sharp Edge" and the Indian Black "Super Platinum". I'm using two EJ razors, one black handle and one white, and I don't know which blade is in which.

Brush = Semogue SOC 2-band
Soap = Ach Brito Lavanda cream
AS = Turkish lemon cologne/Ach Brito Lavanda cologne

Pass 1, WTG: Pass 2, XTG: Pass 3, ATG: Similar story again. Blade in the Black Razor noticeably sharper, but both quite smooth. White seemed a little bit tuggy ATG on my upper lip, but that was compared to the Black which was still super-sharp. No weepers this time.

Closeness: Very close again, better than last time with nothing that would need touching up.

Comfort: Comfortable and irritation-free.

AS: Splash of high alcohol Turkish lemon cologne gave me a nice bit of sting and made my skin feel tight, and then some Ach Brito Lavanda cologne left me feeling very fresh and relaxed.

The equivalent of two full shaves each, and the blade in the Black razor is clearly winning this one so far.

Last edited:
Shave #5

Brush = Rooney 3/1 silvertip
Soap = Old Spice cream (India)
AS = Jovan Musk

Pass 1, WTG: Pass 2, XTG: Pass 3, ATG: I know I'm sounding boring, but the results were just the same as previous. Both blades very good, with the one in the Black razor being a bit sharper. I'm still getting smooth shaves from both, with no sign of deterioration yet.

Closeness: Good DFS, with a couple of small areas under my chin that would benefit from a touch-up - same both sides.

Comfort: Just fine - smooth with no irritations.

AS: Healthy glow from the Jovan Musk, with a nice tightening feel.

As an aside, the Old Spice cream and Rooney brush is a great combination - masses of really good lather very quickly, from just a small amount of cream.

Shave #6

Brush = Vulfix 404 Grosvenor mixed
Soap = Col Conk lime
AS = Floïd blue

Pass 1, WTG: Pass 2, XTG: Pass 3, ATG: Same again.. that's all

Closeness: Same again

Comfort: Same again

AS: Floïd blue is as good as it's always been, and really is one of my top two favourites (the other being Arlington)

OK, sorry to fail so badly on the entertainment front this time, but this shave really was just the same as the last one. The equivalent of 3 full face shaves each, and both blades are performing exactly as before, with no sign of either losing its edge yet.

Top Bottom