What's new

Is The Gillette Senator a Rare Razor ?

Reason i ask is that i am after one of these, really like the looks, i prefer to do trades for Razors, i was going to offer my British Rhodium 1958 Gillette Rocket as a Trade, i know that this is quite a rare beast.........

Is the Senator basically an OC version of the Ranger Tech ?

Have seen one on E-Bay but the seller wants $150 for it and it doesn't look in that great shape

Cheers Guys

That's not an even trade in my opinion. Senators aren't terribly rare and you should be able to pick up an uncased one in the $40 - $60 range if you keep looking.

That's not an even trade in my opinion. Senators aren't terribly rare and you should be able to pick up an uncased one in the $40 - $60 range if you keep looking.

Thanks for that, i am based in the UK for now so it's difficult to find one, will keep looking,...........

i do have 2 Rhodium Rockets, so i may take up the deal if a Nice minty Senator comes my way

Thanks for the info

I agree. Senators are fantastic razors and they're uncommon, but not rare. Don't use the asking price of active auctions/BINs as any kind of gauge for anything. Anyone can ask any ridiculous amount of money they want -- doesn't mean someone will actually pay it. You want to be looking for completed auctions that sold to see what things are really selling for.

Is the Senator basically an OC version of the Ranger Tech ?

It's an interesting question, and one that never occurred to me. I'd say the head design (mated doors) and the shave is quite different, with the Senator being significantly more aggressive due to the drooping comb.

What is the difference between the Gillette Rocket and the Gillette 40's Style Super Speed? I'm looking at 2 ebay auctions, and they look identical to the Super Speeds that I have. Picture of my razor is below...

$photo 3.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 1937-38 Senator in very good condition, but paid only $37.50 for it, including shipping. I had to hunt eBay for a while to do that, but echoing other comments, your rhodium Rocket should be worth a good deal more. Rather than the asking prices, do "advanced" search on eBay for the prices paid in completed sales. That's a better indicator of actual market value.

I like the Senator a lot, and due to my current SE obsession, it's now the principal loaded DE in my cabinet. As much as I enjoy it, I'd insert one caution that I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere.

The ends of DE blades - not the sharpened part, but the "tabs" - extend beyond the cap on all razors. On most non-TTO razors, just not a problem regardless of blade. But the cap of the Senator doesn't extend as far...maybe true of the Aristocrat too. More of that tab is exposed.

Using my now-standard low angle shaving technique, Israeli blue Personna super platinum blades have sharp corners that frequently dig into my face with this razor. Unpleasant. Not so with Feathers - more rounded I guess. And the Personnas are fine with razors having longer caps.

So if you have this issue, don't give up on the razor, just try a different blade.

Last edited:
You can always try to pick up the senators gold plated brother, the sheraton. These seem to be more common.

Top Bottom