What's new

Wood versus non-wood handle for a shaving brush

Which material do you prefer for a brush handle?

• Wood Handle

• Synthetic Handle (nylon, plastic, micarta, etc.)

• Metal Handle

Results are only viewable after voting.
B

bAkewelle

The shavemac brushes cost about 182 dollar and they look great. :drool:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I like both wood and plastic as long as the handle shape/size looks good and feels comfortable.

I like a nice exotic wood. I turned one out of burl redwood, and it was probably the most difficult I have tried. The wood, while beautiful is so soft it catches the cutting tool easily and gouges. I finally got it done and sealed it well with cyanoacrylate glue.

Others have been turned, the knot cavity being sealed with epoxy, then generally an oil finish. Linseed or Watco on the visible handle surfaces. An occasional, every few years wipedown with fresh finish, seems to keep them water repelent.

I picked synthetics, but I love the look of nice, figured wood. Both have their problems. Synthetics will crack when dropped, but it takes a couple of good drops. Wood seems a bit more fragile - I've seen several wood brushes with chips and nicks around the base. Their owners tell me it happens frequently and easily depending on the design of the base. "Sharp" edges seem to chip easiest (90 degree or smaller angles).

Mostly out of practical reasons I voted synthetic handles. I love the look of wood but all the brushes that gave problems in the past had wooden handles. And when the synthetic material used is one of quality, like on the Vulfix and Simpson brushes, it is classy enough for me.

B

bAkewelle

Mostly out of practical reasons I voted synthetic handles. I love the look of wood but all the brushes that gave problems in the past had wooden handles. And when the synthetic material used is one of quality, like on the Vulfix and Simpson brushes, it is classy enough for me.

Me to, but the wood handles look great

Top Bottom