Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: E2 FatBoy in rough shape.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    786
    Images
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default E2 FatBoy in rough shape.

    Sadly another "gentlemanly" member unloaded one on me a few weeks ago and I fell for it without asking for pics. The clicks work fine, but the doors don't close correctly and it really can't even be used. The appearance is sub par at best. I only post this with the hope that someone knows how to repair one and I can make a bit of my money back (would like to sell) because I would really own one that can be used. I can take more pics showing the doors closed with a blade inserted to illustrate the issue that would make it hard to use. Thanks for looking and any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0415.jpg  
    Last edited by KyMash; 03-03-2012 at 09:35 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    1,008
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Did you see this article about disassembling one?
    http://vintagesaws.com/fatboy/fatboy.html

    I'm not sure if that'll help you but perhaps you can figure out what is causing the problem.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Carrollton TX
    Posts
    12,968
    Images
    341
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

    Default

    Did you send a PM to the seller? It could be a matter of they did not know there was an issue. That is a good place to start.
    Scott


    PROUDEST MEMBER OF THE GREAT EAGLE GROUP BUY OF 2010, MINE CAME WITH A PINK RIBBON!


    Need Help Send Me A PM!!

    I would rather be judged by 12, than carried by six.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Outside Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,364
    Images
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    What do you mean by "the doors don't close correctly"?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    White Mountains of New Hampshire
    Posts
    2,797
    Images
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Some pictures will help us help you . . . also, 99.9% of alignment issues are external and are not fixed by disassembly.

    +1 on trying to resolve the issue with the seller - always the best place to start. Hope we can be of help!
    Brad - OGA
    You must be willing to do the things today others won't do . . .
    In order to have the things tomorrow others won't have. - Les Brown

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    506
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I know that they get mixed reviews on this forum, but you could check out Razor Emporium's "Razor Repair" and "Razor Revamp" services.

    http://razoremporium.com/store/index...index&cPath=46

    The repair service is only $20 and would get your razor back in shaving shape again. I have a Gillette Slim out to them for revamping right now and will post a review on the results once it arrives.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,100
    Images
    6
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ieschwoch View Post
    I know that they get mixed reviews on this forum, but you could check out Razor Emporium's "Razor Repair" and "Razor Revamp" services.

    http://razoremporium.com/store/index...index&cPath=46

    The repair service is only $20 and would get your razor back in shaving shape again. I have a Gillette Slim out to them for revamping right now and will post a review on the results once it arrives.

    Mixed reviews?

    Ok if you say so...

    I agree with the other posts though. What happened and did you contact the member that you bought it from? Also asking for help repairing it without specific pictures of the issue is kind of hard for us to help.

    I hope it all works out for you.
    Shave yourself.

    -Todd

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    White Mountains of New Hampshire
    Posts
    2,797
    Images
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I went back and re-read the OP's post . . . he wants to sell it and get part of his investment back.

    I hate to see someone throw out the baby with the bathwater . . . KyMash, if you want to send it to me along with five dollars to cover return postage, I'll be glad to take a look and see what I can do for you. Let me know and I'll PM my address to you.
    Brad - OGA
    You must be willing to do the things today others won't do . . .
    In order to have the things tomorrow others won't have. - Les Brown

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    1,236
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I would contact the seller, no member here should take advantage of another member, period. I've been blessed in that any of my purchases from BST here have been better than described by the seller and with many extra's thrown in. I recently purchased my R41 (2011 head) from a member here...saved over $25.00 off of amazon prices and was sent a bunch of Gillette yellows in the deal, and the member used the razor once...

    If the member is smart...he would do the right thing.....if he doesn't...call him out on it so we all know who to avoid. I would gladly refund your purchase if you were not happy, but that is me.
    ΘΣ of Open Comb Shaving; Founder of BOTOC (Brotherhood of the Open Comb) ~ Ken

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    1,733
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluesbishop View Post
    I would contact the seller, no member here should take advantage of another member, period. I've been blessed in that any of my purchases from BST here have been better than described by the seller and with many extra's thrown in. I recently purchased my R41 (2011 head) from a member here...saved over $25.00 off of amazon prices and was sent a bunch of Gillette yellows in the deal, and the member used the razor once...

    If the member is smart...he would do the right thing.....if he doesn't...call him out on it so we all know who to avoid. I would gladly refund your purchase if you were not happy, but that is me.
    I agree with my brother. I would contact the "gentleman" that sold you the razor, and if he does not make it right, I would call him out. The BST section should be a safer place than buying a razor than the 'bay, but if other members are taking advantage of buyers, they need to be called out so the rest of us do not have to an unfortunate experience.
    They need to make it easier to delete an account.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    353
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I'd try to contact the seller. If no response, I'd throw him right under the bus.

    By the way, pictures of what, exactly, is wrong wouldn't hurt.
    "I rob banks for a living. What do you do?" (John Dillinger) BOTOC

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    OKC, Oklahoma
    Posts
    566
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    It looks as though it was disassembled, and the adjustment dial wasn't turned down enough to seat the head properly. Look at the gap at the black band around the base of the dial; the blade adjustment arms look to be seated below the baseplate (not a shade over flush) on "1".

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    611
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    i would just throw him under the bus. i wouldent even wait. he knew he was screwing you. so do it.
    i really hate to think of someone on this forum abusing someone else. ive never met a bunch of better guys on here.
    i allways feel safe. so who ever sold this needs to be warned and talked to.
    castle forbes lime-bluebeards beard wash-40s aristicrat-feathers-heaven

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    White Mountains of New Hampshire
    Posts
    2,797
    Images
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    It looks as though it was disassembled, and the adjustment dial wasn't turned down enough to seat the head properly. Look at the gap at the black band around the base of the dial; the blade adjustment arms look to be seated below the baseplate (not a shade over flush) on "1".
    Looks like it could be "overclocked" - but disassembly is not required to do that. Push in on index spring, turn dial.
    Brad - OGA
    You must be willing to do the things today others won't do . . .
    In order to have the things tomorrow others won't have. - Les Brown

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    OKC, Oklahoma
    Posts
    566
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BBrad View Post
    Looks like it could be "overclocked" - but disassembly is not required to do that. Push in on index spring, turn dial.
    Ah, you're right! So, theoretically, KY could try depressing the spring, and running the adjustment plate up a bit, no? ...depending on what is causing the door closure problem.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    386
    Images
    30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    If a member did that to another member, he should automatically be banned. I know that when I sell razors, I AUTOMATICALLY post that you can return anything if not happy.
    "My wife combs her hair 100x times...I do the same thing to my Silvertip Brush".

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,102
    Images
    3
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Soph Gent View Post
    If a member did that to another member, he should automatically be banned. I know that when I sell razors, I AUTOMATICALLY post that you can return anything if not happy.
    +1
    Proud "Cult of ARKO" Member.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    White Mountains of New Hampshire
    Posts
    2,797
    Images
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Ah, you're right! So, theoretically, KY could try depressing the spring, and running the adjustment plate up a bit, no? ...depending on what is causing the door closure problem.
    If the plate (adjustment tang) is preventing door closure, then the dial needs to be turned DOWN to allow the doors to close. First, however, check to be sure that the adjustment tang can move freely up and down. If the head is bent (and the tang is "hung up" in a higher than normal position) that has to be addressed first before changing the dial "clocking."
    Brad - OGA
    You must be willing to do the things today others won't do . . .
    In order to have the things tomorrow others won't have. - Les Brown

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    ......Washington DC
    Posts
    679
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    .....i would hate to think that another member took advantage of another member.

    ....... every dealing i've had with buying razors, etc. on this forum has been excellent ......

    ..........i've never met a more honest and helpful group of folks...........
    Spartans! The orders of the day....... From this wall, we do not retreat........!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Troy, Michigan
    Posts
    269
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    If this is not handled properly I will donate my newly acquired '59 E1 to the OP. I got a bit uneasy typing that, but I can't take it back now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. FS: Fatboy in the rough
    By PaulL in forum The Badger & Blade Marketplace
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-02-2010, 05:51 PM
  2. Out of shape Fatboy??
    By thunderball in forum Double Edged Razors
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-10-2009, 07:52 PM
  3. FS: G-2 Fatboy in dang nice shape!
    By wtruitt in forum The Badger & Blade Marketplace
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-24-2008, 06:42 PM
  4. WTB Fatboy in nice shape
    By Rsdio in forum The Badger & Blade Marketplace
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-18-2007, 05:24 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
By accessing Badger & Blade, you agree to abide by the Terms of Usage. You can find our Privacy Policy here.
Once submitted, any posts, images, or content become the property of Badger & Blade.
Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.