What's new

Segal

I am looking for some Segal DE Blades for an old Segal razor that I have. Anyone know where I might find these besides the bay and if the razor is even worth the effort?

Thanks

I believe I've read about folks modifying regular blades to fit the Segal. I've got one as well, but haven't ventured to look into the details. Perhaps someone that's done it will respond.

I have a curved pair of scissors, the blades about 1.5 inches long, for nails or cuticles or something, I don't know. With my Segal (and I've seen ones with slightly different shapes to hold the blade), I don't even make a stencil or anything. I eyeball it, and cut two simple arcs, one on each side, it doesn't have to be remotely perfect because the very ends of the slot in the blade are what's going to perfectly line up the blade. You just have to get the blade material out of the way of the rest of that oval shaped raised part on the razor. In fact, you don't even have to get it 100% out of the way, just most of it; the razor will clamp down on the blade and as the blade bends down to fit, it will bend around the raised part of the razor. The cuts really don't have to be perfect. Personally, I just like to try not to flex and twist the blade too much while I'm cutting it, because it seems like bending the cutting edge might mess it up. I don't know about that.

A few other ideas for cutting blades that I haven't explored: a Dremel, some people use that, or tools for cutting little sheets of metal for making jewelry. I think I'm going to ask around the next time I'm at one of those art fairs.

There are not infrequently a few Segal blades for sale on eBay. If nothing else, you could use one as a stencil. I did try shaving with NOS Segal blades. Really horrible results. On the other hand, my face is quite picky about blades.

As far as the razor, I find it's better than many and not as good as some others, so it would be worth trying for anyone, I would think.

I had one that came in a fleabay lot. I cut a few blades to fit but really didn't like cutting razor blades. I felt like it was an accident waiting to happen. I got great shaves with the blades I did cut, but centering the blades as the razor clamped down was a problem also. I gave up on the whole idea as the razor wasn't in good condition either. I think I gave the razor away.

Top Bottom