What's new

Balkan Sobranie

Just when I was getting in the spirit of straying from my old standby tobaccos, my Tobacconist today tells me he got a new shipment of Balkan Sobranie. All the "seasoned" guys in the shop start raving about how it was the English Blend to beat all others, and has been off the market for a good long time. So I check an open sampler he has behind the pipe shop desk and the first thing I smell is the strong and amazing aroma of Louisiana Perique. Then I notice that the other tobaccos in the tin are also ribbon cut to match the traditional cut of the perique and notice some golden Virginia and perhaps a pinch of Latakia (it is English after all!) SOLD!

Sitting here smoking it out of a Vintage House of Fischer Irish Bowl short stem is quite a wonderful experience. For anyone like me who hadn't heard of this one let alone tried it in the past, check into it. It is currently being imported by Arango, so it should be in most reputable tobacco stores.

I managed to snag a tin of this last month when pipesandcigars got a small shipment. I haven't opened it yet because I acquired a lot of tobacco recently but am looking forward to a first bowl of this very soon.

I managed to snag a tin of this last month when pipesandcigars got a small shipment. I haven't opened it yet because I acquired a lot of tobacco recently but am looking forward to a first bowl of this very soon.

Having just finished a bowl it is quite the pleaser. Nice smooth draw, not too intense like some of the other (Dunhill) English blends, and that Louisiana Perique is just fantastic. Did I mention I used to smoke straight Perique when I lived in New Orleans! This is better though, uncut Perique is pretty intense stuff :001_tt2:

I really what to try the BS but at the time it was in stock I really didn't need any other tobacco's, so it would have been $19-20 shipped for the one tin, so I didn't do it.

Top Bottom