I started classic shaving in December 2010, primarily because I hated spending $2 or more for a cartridge. I continue to classic shave because
· I enjoy spending only about 10 cents per DE blade
· DE safety razors and brushes are cool gadgets
· I enjoy learning and using the skill a DE razor requires
· I enjoy learning and using the skill required to make a traditional lather
· I love the luxurious feel of warm traditional lather
· I absolutely love the performance, feel, scent andvariety of quality creams and soaps
I know what I’m about to say is heresy. I have to confess, though, that the shave I got from a Mach 3 is as good--and probably better--than a DE safety razor.
I never had problems with razor irritation from a Mach 3 cartridge. I always got close shaves after only one pass. And I never nicked myself with a Mach 3.
With a DE safety razor I do three passes: WTG,CTG, and ATG. I’ve never had problems with razor irritation. I’ve watched all of Mantic 59’s videos. I’ve read Michael Ham’s book Leisure Guy’s Guide to Gourmet Shaving as well as the tutorials on Badger and Blade. I am proficient using the DE razor having shaved over 400 times. I have three DE safety razors: a Gillette Super Speed, a Merkur HD, and a Mergress. But still two to three times per week I get a small nick. My shaves are close, but I would say not as close as with a Mach 3. I’ve used probably 25 different DE blades, and I have not noticed much of a difference between blades.