What's new

My New Kent BK8

Still on the quest for the perfect silver tip brush, I pulled the trigger on this Kent BK8—a brush I've had my eye on for quite a while. Scored an amazing deal from an overseas vender, about 60% of what they sell for here. Measurements are 26/57/112. The 26mm knot size is just about ideal, not too much, not too little. The loft is just over half the height, but resists flopping around. This brush has sufficient backbone for me.

proxy.php

My first impression after three uses: I love this brush. Soft and luxurious, but not without a degree of backbone. It's a big brush, but that is my preference. This has already got me wondering about the BK12, but I digress. The handle is short and delicate, but does fit well enough in my large hands. It lather beautifully, producing copious amounts of rich, creamy lather.

One minor note: Like Vulfix, they silkscreen their brand logo one the handle so that there are no silly stickers to worry about. I like that.

This is certainly a brush that will remain in my rotation.

Last edited:
It looks like a wonderful brush! I do have a question...How big is the bloom when wet? I am considering a BK4 even though I prefer bigger brushes because I am afraid the bloom will be too large much like my Vulfix 40. I would much prefer the knot size of the BK8 though. Once again, great looking Kent...Congrats!

Fantastic brush! I love it and find that it will destroy any soap or cream you put to it.
I had aBK12 and I can tell you that it is silly big.
it makes enough lather for you and 5 friends.

I ended up with a BK4 not long ago. feelunique.com had them for $80 shipped to the states and the size was where I like a brush. I've read the BK8 has more backbone but the 4 has performed admirably for me. Lovely brushes!

I've been eyeing up a BLK4 as I like the black handle, but for the cost savings of buying a BK4 (ivory handle) from feelunique I think I can get over the color! But, the price difference is so much, it really throws up warning signs. How was the purchase experience with feelunique? Is it an "off quality" or "outlet" version of the brush in any way? Based on your post I would think not, but something just doesn't add up..............

Another convert to the world of luxurious shaving

Welcome aboard

As far as a BK12. Everyone needs a two handed shaving brush in their rotation and that one certainly fits the bill

Been thinking about buying a Kent for a long time but have not decided to go for BK8 or BK12. Hopefully I will pull the trigger this spring.

But, the price difference is so much, it really throws up warning signs. How was the purchase experience with feelunique? Is it an "off quality" or "outlet" version of the brush in any way? Based on your post I would think not, but something just doesn't add up..............

A picture is worth 10,000 words. The brush was perfect, factory packaged with red display case, and it arrived at my door in five days.

What doesn't add up is market price control. I've always been a bit troubled by this in the shaving market. Simpsons prices are rigidly controlled and uniform throughout the world. The same seems to be true for Vulfix brushes, though they are much more reasonable than their cousins. Muhle also strictly controls their US pricing but seem unable to do so in Europe where they are much cheaper. Now I've learned that Kent is the same.

Some difference can be chalked up to exchange rate, but not 40%.

Having worked for many years in a low-profit industry (consumer photographic equipment), I'm deeply sympathetic to dealers and their need to make a reasonable profit, but I still strenuously object to a manufacturer's ability to control pricing. I think it's wrong.

It looks like a wonderful brush! I do have a question...How big is the bloom when wet? I am considering a BK4 even though I prefer bigger brushes because I am afraid the bloom will be too large much like my Vulfix 40. I would much prefer the knot size of the BK8 though. Once again, great looking Kent...Congrats!

Below is my BK8 with a Chubby 3 to give you a sense of the relative blooms. I love the Kent but like the Chubby, it feels large on your face. I use mine to whip up creams in my scuttle/bowl and I'm not sure I'd use "backbone" and "Kent BK8" in the same sentence. It gives a wonderfully luxuriously soft face-feel that is quite unlike other high-end brushes. It also has one of the best designed and most elegant handles of all time. I've been wanting to pick up a BK4 and may do so soon. The OP is right about pricing, I believe due to the distribution deal the brushes are much more expensive from US vendors than from those in the UK (also true of Muhle razors). If you buy from Kent directly make sure you price it in GBPs.

$IMG_1508.jpg

I'm not sure I'd use "backbone" and "Kent BK8" in the same sentence.

Three days ago I face lathered with my BK8 and Cella. I was too lazy to walk to my office (already had washed my face and was stripped to the waist) ....SO... Of the 4 brush choices that were sitting out, the BK8 seemed to be the lesser of the evils waiting their turn (other brushes that were out that day were H6, Polo12, or a custom supersilvertip, none of which are what I would call face lathering brushes).

I would not say it was like any of my "preferred" face brushes but I was pleasantly surprised that it loaded the Cella nicely and worked up a very acceptable lather. I did have to re-load for my 3rd lather but it retained enough for 2 in a row.

I don't think I will use it again as a face lathering brush and next time I will remember to bring a brush in with me so that I am not faced with having to "get by with what is at hand"

Never thought I would say that the BK8 could be used to face lather but I guess I just ate my words on that one :lol:

Thanks for that Mark. It does appear to have relatively reasonable bloom, IE usable to me. Now, decisions, decisions....

Below is my BK8 with a Chubby 3 to give you a sense of the relative blooms. I love the Kent but like the Chubby, it feels large on your face. I use mine to whip up creams in my scuttle/bowl and I'm not sure I'd use "backbone" and "Kent BK8" in the same sentence. It gives a wonderfully luxuriously soft face-feel that is quite unlike other high-end brushes. It also has one of the best designed and most elegant handles of all time. I've been wanting to pick up a BK4 and may do so soon. The OP is right about pricing, I believe due to the distribution deal the brushes are much more expensive from US vendors than from those in the UK (also true of Muhle razors). If you buy from Kent directly make sure you price it in GBPs.

View attachment 225560

Based on my experience with feelunique.com, no worries. First quality brush. The price is less because Feel Unique is in GB and Kents sell for less there. Actually, the way to view it is that the brush is way overpriced in the US.

Based on my experience with feelunique.com, no worries. First quality brush. The price is less because Feel Unique is in GB and Kents sell for less there. Actually, the way to view it is that the brush is way overpriced in the US.

On their site they price it at £72.30 which equals $114.74. They price it in dollars at $123.63. They include shipping but it's not clear to me if the up-charge in dollars is for shipping to the US. US vendors get ~$200 for the BK8.

On their site they price it at £72.30 which equals $114.74. They price it in dollars at $123.63. They include shipping but it's not clear to me if the up-charge in dollars is for shipping to the US. US vendors get ~$200 for the BK8.

That's for the BK8, I was quoting what I spent for the BK4. Still, a great deal compared to our stateside prices in any event.

Unless that brush is shipped free, it's quite a bit more from your link than feelunique.com and it looks like they get about $23 to ship to the States.

Top Bottom