What's new

brown brogue question?

Is it possible to alter the colour of dark brown brogues by applying a lighter shoe polish such as light/mid tan or burgundy? Any one tried this with successful results?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The darker the "new light" colour the better your chances. Give them a good washing with saddle soap, and then have at them with a cream polish (not wax). Cream is more pigmented and tends to soak in more than wax. You will likely get a modest colour change, nothing dramatic.

The darker the "new light" colour the better your chances. Give them a good washing with saddle soap, and then have at them with a cream polish (not wax). Cream is more pigmented and tends to soak in more than wax. You will likely get a modest colour change, nothing dramatic.

Thanks, I'm just looking for a subtle colour change from dark brown to a kind of off burgundy so I'll see how a few coats of burgundy kiwi shoe polish impacts on the original colour.

Oddly the result was not quite what I expected. After a good few coats of Kiwi burgundy shoe polish they have a vintage cognac look to them.....I like it.

Top Bottom