What's new

Heresy coming - brace yourselves

Anyone else ever get tired of sampling different stuff after a while and feel like it would be better just to decide on one or two main scents?

Yep. I have one or two main scents for each season and type of occasion. That's what you meant, right? :wink2:

Anyone else ever get tired of sampling different stuff after a while and feel like it would be better just to decide on one or two main scents?

I feel that way, until I don't feel that way any more & start looking for more stuff.

Absolutely. Then something comes along that I really want to try and there I go again. My biggest gripe (with myself) is that I feel obligated to work through a pack of samples when I'm really wanting to wear that classic something or other I just bought (because the samples was SO GOOD!) - and the spiral continues!

This hobby does have some good aspects.

ahem...

- I talk to my wife less because I spend more time reading your rants
- I'm positively one step closer to my ideal scent with every purchase of fragrance I don't even like so much
- I smell like wrestlers armpit (her honest opinion), or like eighties, or like mortar, or pickles?
- I've conquered the fear of fragrance industry disappearance (now I'm hoping for it)
- I'm not spending my money on something trivial and unnecessary.

I said not long ago that I would likely not purchase a full bottle because I was having so much fun with the samples.
However, sometimes I find that I'm going in too many directions at once.

Maybe that means I'm ready for a full bottle soon?

Sampling? Only when I've tried 30 or so of the same scent from different makers, but definitely not trying completely new scents. But I certainly never get tired of having a variety of products to choose from.

I know exactly what you mean. One of my New Year's resolutions was to wear the fragrances that I know I love more often. It has, unfortunately, gone the way of most of my resolutions. I'm not sure if I'm capable of getting down to two or three scents (I probably have more than fourty full bottles already), but I have thought of getting down to 10-12 and be assured that I would be wearing something that I consider excellent each day. My debate is between a fragrance that I find interesting ang one that I think smells great. They are definitely not the same thing.

Mike

Yes! I am beginning to sample myself to death! Worse, after getting the samples, I still end up undecided and want still more samples! Shortly I am going to settle on just a few fragrances (five or six) and live with that. And think my final decisions will include a large dose of economy, i.e. which ones can I readily get at discounters.

I do find myself missing the days when I had one scent that I reached for reliably, and never deviated from, and always felt comfortable wearing, and just knew it was mine. The simple signature, the workhorse, the companion scent.

The process of exploring other fragrances and collecting them hasn't been regrettable in the least. But I'm winding it down. I've worn over 300 scents at this point and very few of them moved me into the realm of needing to continue smelling them. A few became favorites, and out of those I now only have and keep about 15. Soon it will be just 10 or so, and from those I'll be keeping an eye on narrowing it down to a spare 3 or 4 at most.

I'd definitely be happy with that many. One everyday scent. One special occasion scent. One weekend scent. And maybe one oddball to keep my imagination alive.

Do fragrances expire or will my stash still be in good condition in about 200 years when they are finished?

I know your pain OP, although my solution was radical.

I don't buy samples anymore, I just buy second hand stuff from B/S/T of stuff I think I will like. Lots of 75% or more bottles arrive and most stay.....

Top Bottom