What's new

Moisturizing to prevent ingrown hairs?

I've heard that using a moisturizer can help prevent ingrown hairs. Any truth to this? I'd think that a moisturizer would clog pores and cause ingrowns.

If you’re worried about clogging pores, look for a moisturizer that is specifically labeled as non-comedogenic.

I can't speak to the ingrown hair issue, but in general I find that using a moisturizer at night really improves my morning shave.

By far the most important step for preventing ingrowns, in my experience, is exfoliating with a loofah or some other mildly abrasive device. Usually the hair starts off growing very slightly underneath the skin, then curls downward and starts to dig deep, and THAT's when the huge red-and-black horror bump begins. But if you loofah your problem area daily (don't go crazy with it) and use a salicylic acid soap, you'll end up rubbing the hair free from the skin while it's still barely beneath the surface. Of course, ingrowns that start off deep under the skin are still gonna be there. But exfoliation has been the key for me.

After you exfoliate, it's crucial that you moisturize. But the exfoliation is the more important step, I think.

By far the most important step for preventing ingrowns, in my experience, is exfoliating with a loofah or some other mildly abrasive device. Usually the hair starts off growing very slightly underneath the skin, then curls downward and starts to dig deep, and THAT's when the huge red-and-black horror bump begins. But if you loofah your problem area daily (don't go crazy with it) and use a salicylic acid soap, you'll end up rubbing the hair free from the skin while it's still barely beneath the surface. Of course, ingrowns that start off deep under the skin are still gonna be there. But exfoliation has been the key for me.

After you exfoliate, it's crucial that you moisturize. But the exfoliation is the more important step, I think.
How do you do that with the loofah? I don't even know what it looks like.

just grab one of these

proxy.php

or these

proxy.php

at your local any-store or online. before, or after, or during whatever soap/cleansing treatment you use for your area of concern (wherever your ingrowns tend to occur), scrub somewhat gently with this. i typically make 10 passes over the entire area, applying light pressure.

Yes moisturizing can help prevent ingrown hairs. Too much exfoliation can lead to dry skin and more ingrowns.

Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. Keep your keratinocytes happy, healthy and well hydrated. They reward you with softer, smoother skin that heals faster and better.

Not sure on this one either. I've had problems with ingrowns and keep hearing about having the skin moisturized and exfoliated to allow the hairs to get out easier.

Top Bottom