What's new

Look Ma! No hands!

Hi All,
I've been lurking for a while and thought I'd check in with a success story :001_smile

Last Spring after my grandmother passed away I came across an old GEM Featherweight in one of the travel trunks stored in her garage. Although the thing was probably 60 years old it looked like it had never been touched. I had never shaved with anything except a cartridge razor, but it piqued my interest so I ran down to the drug store and found some blades for it. I lathered up with some cream from a can and had a REALLY CAREFUL SHAVE. It was kinda' exciting, but I came away with enough razor burn that it went in the drawer and I forgot about it for almost a year.

A month or so ago I ran across it again and decided to give it another try. This time I had a little more confidence and things were monumentally worse! Haha! I decided to hit the internet and figure out what I was doing wrong. I found the forum and started reading up.

I decided to take a break from the GEM and bought an Edwin Jagger DE89 (with the cool barley handle!). Since then I've been watching videos, working on making good lather and trying new blades, but I've been managing, at best, crappy shaves. I've lowered my expectations and taken days off for my face to heal but I've been starting to feel a little discouraged.

Then today I came home from work and the Mrs had taken the kids out for the evening. Since nobody was home I relaxed a little bit and with nothing better to do, decided to work on my lather. I wasn't sure how well I was doing with the lather so I slapped some on and tried a few strokes with the razor. I scrubbed up the lather a little more and tried again. I really concentrated on my angle and pressure and the grain of my beard. Suddenly it was 20 minutes later and I was sporting THE BEST SHAVE OF MY LIFE! I guess I just needed to take some time to relax and focus :001_smile

I immediately knew no one would truly appreciate hearing about my awesome shave except a nameless group of strangers on a shaving forum, so I dried off and grabbed the laptop to make my first post.

What a great thing, to find enjoyment in something that before was just another chore. Thanks to everybody for the great advice and a great forum!

Thats Great For You. Sounds like youll take your time for your future shaves and will enjoy them. From now on you ll look forward to shaving!!

Congratulations

You want to know the best part....YOUR SHAVES ARE GOING TO GET EVEN BETTER!
I can definetely relate to enjoying shaving and it no longer being a chore.. now it is a chore to stop my self from shaving twice a day

keep learning
keep trying new products
and keep being PATIENT

I immediately knew no one would truly appreciate hearing about my awesome shave except a nameless group of strangers on a shaving forum, so I dried off and grabbed the laptop to make my first post.
LOL!

well done augustday, the fun of DE shaving (for me anyways) is trying out all the different stuff that's out there and finding a combo that works for you. DE shaving is great because not only does it save you money but in most cases it provides a closer, non irritating shave, and I enjoy working up my own lather. It does take longer than using cartridge/disposables and canned goo, but the end result is so much better.

here's my favorite combo so far:
Razor: EJ DE86 (feathers are very good too, but pricey)
Blade: Astra SP
cream/soap: Arko Sticks or RazoRock xxx or Cella
aftershave: Nivea Sensitive AS balm

Haha that is awesome. SWMBO just doesn't understand. Congrats on a successful shave and welcome to B&B.

augustday;

Welcome to B&B. I believe it is the friendliest, and most helpful set of Forums I've ever been on. I truly enjoyed your post :thumbup1:.

Hi All,

Yup. SWMBO usually tends to roll her eyes! Here you have our shoulder....

[/QUOTE]What a great thing, to find enjoyment in something that before was just another chore. Thanks to everybody for the great advice and a great forum![/QUOTE]

That's what this is for!

Congratulations and a very warm welcome! Keep up the good shave!

Augustday:

Welcome to B&B. We are glad to have you with us. Congratulations on your successful shave and enjoy your future shaves.

Don.

Top Bottom