What's new

Acquisitions for March 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wanted to share my rarest of razors -- or so it is for me. The nickel plated cased Toggle. Amazing design, fantastic build quality, pristine condition, rarely seen.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I have a gold-plated Toggle, but this one blows that one away...

Wanted to share my rarest of razors -- or so it is for me. The nickel plated cased Toggle. Amazing design, fantastic build quality, pristine condition, rarely seen.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I have a gold-plated Toggle, but this one blows that one away...

Very nice Jake - as usual!

Just been to Gran Canaria with my wife for a week in the sun.
All this is just readily available on the supermarket shelf.
Round about €1.25 for a tube of cream.
Only problem is I couldn't find the La Toja sticks but I'm off to Madrid in 6 weeks so I'm sure I can wait.
Also received some scale blanks and a finished set of Desert Ironwood scales from another B&B member this morning.

View attachment 232232
Very jealous. I know shipping is worse to your corner of the world than to the US, so that is a tremendous haul! I regret not getting more Spanish products when I was in Barcelona and L'Escala last summer. Get as many sticks as you can find!

my haul for the month. this month was a big haul for my wallet as well lol.

Attachments

• $IMG_1120.jpg
    $IMG_1120.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 174
  • $IMG_1121.jpg
    $IMG_1121.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Hiatus ended:

Shave soap/cream
*RazoRock Fresco
*Castle Forbes Lavender

Aftershaves
*RazoRock After Shave Wax
*Booster's Mosswood

Look what you guys started. Last week I wouldn't give a straight razor a second look, today they jumped off the shelves at me in the antique shop.

What initially caught my eye was this guy, with the faux bamboo scales. One side is broken, but the blade looked so nice, I picked it up. Also, she gave it to me for 1/2 price :) Blade is 5/8". It's marked Magnetic on the blade, and Worcester Razor Co. on the tang.

View attachment 225117

Right next to it was this guy, in a Brandt Razor box. I didn't want it to get lonely, and the box was so nice I grabbed him too. No marking on the blade, the tang is also marked Worcester Razor Co. Blade is 3/4" at the toe (making it a 6/8 blade, yes?)

View attachment 225118

Then I hit one more shop that was full of hand planes, clamps, micrometers and other cool tools. When I asked the guy if he dealt in straight razors he said no, and followed with, "You're probably not looking for a safety razor." Sure, I'll take a look. Turns out it was a Müller & Schmitt travel razor kit that looks to be in pretty darn good shape. Looking at the alum and blades, I don't think it was ever used.

View attachment 225116 View attachment 225115

So how'd I do for my first foray? Can anyone help me date these guys and pin down exactly what I've found?

Thanks!

-Joe

OT note: Hope it's ok that I started this thread, there being no March one yet. I'm still new here :)

This kit is outstanding! Manufacturers took great pains to give a guy everything he needs.....

what steps or process did you use to clean it?

I do many razor restores for collecting & selling. My method is too first put in a pot of almost boiling water to help loosen up crud. I do this for 10 minutes. Then put into plastic container with scrubbing bubbles. After a couple minutes I use a toothbrush to clean. The into an ultrasonic cleaner for about 3-5 minutes. Sometimes, this is all that is needed to get a great looking razor.

After that I disinfect for 10 minutes (optional). I then polish the razor with Maas and/or Flitz metal polish. The next step is often omitted by many users but it is necessary. AFTER polishing, I put back into the ultrasonic cleaner for about 2 minutes to eliminate any polish medium that remains. This step will still keep the shine. I used to be a jeweler and you ALWAYS put jewelry into an ultrasonic cleaner after polishing.

Here's a couple more photos of before/afters.

Attachments

• $Gillette SS Red Tip 1955 A2 (before)5.jpg
    $Gillette SS Red Tip 1955 A2 (before)5.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 103
  • $Gillette SS Red Tip 1955 A2 (after)6.jpg
    $Gillette SS Red Tip 1955 A2 (after)6.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 103
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom