What's new

The Formula 1 2012 thread

Great race. Plenty of incident and interesting to see how the various strategies played out. I had to go out straight after the result so I missed the post race interviews, but I imagine Nico was quite happy(!)

Take away that Rosberg won by 20 seconds and look at the battle from 2 - 14. How amazing! The last 15 - 20 laps were very exciting, but the entire race was great.

I've never been a fan of the China race, but this one was full of excitement.
Nico drove like a champ.
The tires proved to be a tricky thing to manage. It goes to show you how much more F1 is than just driving.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I understand that course has the hardest braking of any race- 6G! That'll shake you up.

The battle behind the leader was one of the best I can recall. I don't think Jensen was going to catch Nico no matter what.

Just saw this and thought it was pretty interesting.

ESPNF1 said:
(Commenting about the team choosing between exhaust setups) Red Bull advisor Dr Helmut Marko told Servus TV on Tuesday: "We will go on with the Mark Webber car." As for why Webber feels more comfortable in the updated car, Marko added: "Mark is less sensitive to the [car's] behaviour. He just needs four wheels, but it's different for Vettel."

I don't know how to take that quote exactly. Part of me want's to view it as a slight dig to Seb as a diver since he, apparently, needs a car that suits him perfectly were as Webber will be solid in whatever car he drives. That could explain the reason Seb so fantastic last season and almost always beat Webber. The RB7 just fit Seb.

BBC said:
According to chief technical officer Adrian Newey... The two designs have a different aerodynamic philosophy.

The older one uses the exhausts to improve the airflow through the "coke-bottle" area at the rear of the car. The newer one aims to direct the gases at the area where the floor meets the rear tyre, to "seal" the diffuser.

Both improve downforce, but to different degrees, in different ways and with different effects.

"There were some characteristics about the upgraded car that weren't particularly suited to (Vettel's) style of driving, which is to carry a lot of speed into the corner," said Horner.

Last edited:
Here's something to discuss while we wait for Bahrain.
What car (colours, design, &c.) do you like the best?
Never mind the teams, just the cars.

The aesthetics or the technology. Let's open it up to anything.

I'm not sure at this point. The question just popped into my head.
I'll go have a look.

I understand that course has the hardest braking of any race- 6G! That'll shake you up.

The battle behind the leader was one of the best I can recall. I don't think Jensen was going to catch Nico no matter what.

I agree. He might have got it down to 4 or 5 seconds but that's probably it. I don't think it would have been close enough to force Nico to use up his tyres like they have in the previous races.

Here's something to discuss while we wait for Bahrain.
What car (colours, design, &c.) do you like the best?
Never mind the teams, just the cars.

The aesthetics or the technology. Let's open it up to anything.

I'm not sure at this point. The question just popped into my head.
I'll go have a look.

Design-wise, this year, it's got to be McLaren - the stepped noses just look awful, and I think the only other car running a low nose is the Marussia, which fails the "fast is beautiful" test.

For best livery, I'm torn - I really like the clean silver looks of the McLaren and Mercedes cars, but the black and gold on the Lotus is stunning. From head-on, when you can't really see the stepped nose, it's the best looking car, period. Then you see it from a few degrees off-angle and it looks all awkward again. Honorable mention to the Williams livery, which looks pretty handsome this year (especially with a yellow helmet in the cockpit...).

The Lotus cars catch my eye. They are sexy with that black and gold.
Scuderia has the classic red, always looks sharp out there.
RBR has always looked hideous to me.

I'm going to have to say Lotus looks the best out there

The McLaren is hands down the best looking car. That red monstrosity from Maranello is the ugliest thing ever to wear the name Ferrari.

On a side note, Ouch's new title has me concerned.

I agree. He might have got it down to 4 or 5 seconds but that's probably it. I don't think it would have been close enough to force Nico to use up his tyres like they have in the previous races.

I think, that if he had not lost 6 seconds during his pitstop and he would have been able to catch up as he did right before the pitstop, he would have had a chance.

But I like it very much if this championship doens't have one or two drivers that get so many points that the last 6 races don't really matter anymore. It's great to have many drivers that can win a Grand Prix. And luckily teh next one is already this weekend!

Anyone tried watching the live timing during the race?

Anyone tried watching the live timing during the race?

I did last weekend and it was excellent! Had the laptop on the coffee table with timing & scoring while I watched the race. It was really cool being able to see the field's time change through out the race. It was fun playing out scenarios in your head watching the lap deltas when people were about to pit. I will definitely be doing for every race.

Glad you liked it Brad!

I also think it was fun during qualifying. Due to the delay of the pictures from China, you could see the time they achieved while they still had to pass the line on the pictures. It's really real-time and the same info the Formula One teams have too.

ouch

What am I, the first one awake?

If I had told you at the beginning of the season that the first four races would be won be four different teams, you would have said I was mad.

Last edited:

ouch

What am I, the first one awake?

If I had told you at the beginning of the season that the first four races would be won be four different teams, you would have said I was mad.

Brilliant, Ouch!

Now if you only had the guts to predict a Lotus victory in race #5.

ouch

Top Bottom