What's new

The Formula 1 2012 thread

So according to Speed's coverage, Hammy tweeted something along the lines of how Jenson was running a new rear wing this weekend and they did not put it on his own Car. I guess he was inferring that was the reason for the difference in qualifying positions and was a little peeved. It has since been deleted so I unfortunately can't post it here. A little reminiscent of a couple years ago (last year?) when RBR gave Seb the new front wing of Webber's car when he wrecked his in practice.

I liked how Kamui was shocked he's the first Japanese driver on the front row. Cool bit of history.

What a whacky qualy. Stupid dumb rain. I wanted to see "the Device".
I really have no idea what's going to happen tomorrow what with the tires being a total crapshoot.

Congrats to Jensen.

Now I see that Pastor has been taken down to 6th. Puts Kimi right behind Jensen. Alonzo right behind Kimi. I think that makes it more interesting. Could be a real fight the first lap.

Last edited:
aaaaaand we're back!
Goodness that was too long a break.

I'm interested in Kobayashi sitting up there in 2nd position.
Of course, I'll still be rooting for Kimi.

So according to Speed's coverage, Hammy tweeted something along the lines of how Jenson was running a new rear wing this weekend and they did not put it on his own Car. I guess he was inferring that was the reason for the difference in qualifying positions and was a little peeved. It has since been deleted so I unfortunately can't post it here. A little reminiscent of a couple years ago (last year?) when RBR gave Seb the new front wing of Webber's car when he wrecked his in practice.

Appears he had the option and they decided to run the old one.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Session is on, so no spoilers, please.

As an aside, if anyone thinks that Button lost something during the first half of the season, I recommend watching his hot lap for this race's qualifying. Absolutely thrilling.

ouch

And done.

There's going to be a lot to sort out, starting with the big first turn incident.

[/spoilermode]

ouch

Button
Vettel
Raikkonen

Great job by Hulkenberg for 4th, ahead of Massa and Weber.

Grosjean, Hasmilton, and Alonso all knocked out in huge first turn incident.

Wow. Great start to the second half of the season. Nice to see Jenson get it back after a rough last few months. Bad wreck in turn 1. Not sure why Grosjean felt the need to go that far across the track. I don't think he had anyone to his outside that was pinching him down. While I think there should be some penalties a one-race ban and 50,000 euros is pretty tough.

What are everyones thoughts on Pastor jumping the start? From the replays they showed it looked as if he did it perfectly even though it was an accident by his own admission. Charlie Whiting seemed to disapprove but I think it was clean. Looks like the stewards gave him two separate five spot grid penalties next week at Monza. One of the jumped start, one for contact with Timo. I realize he has the money of the Venezuelan government behind him but something has to give. I don't see how he can seemingly get into an incident every weekend and keep his ride.

Last edited:

ouch

What are everyones thoughts on Pastor jumping the start? From the replays they showed it looked as if he did it perfectly even though it was an accident by his own admission. Charlie Whiting seemed to disapprove but I think it was clean.

At first look, I thought he jumped because it seemed impossible for him to gain such a lead. After replaying it 50 times frame by frame, I couldn't see him jump, so I thought he just made an NHRA-worthy holeshot. Whiting was probably shaking his head when the sensors designed to detect pre-race motion lit, thinking "Not Maldonado again!"

My wife made me laugh by instantly saying "Hamilton's fault" at the first turn.

Last edited:
I watched some online video (can't remember where I found it) that showed a different angle than Speed offered and it was easier to see that he did jump.

ouch

I'm sure he did. Watching from home, it was hard to make it out through the cloud of smoke coming from Kamui's car. :biggrin1:

Poor guy. After such a great qualifying, it was sad to see him have such troubles. He'll get a win some day.

Quite an enjoyable race to watch. Even though I think Grosjean's penalty is fair, his move was not really different to what Vettel did to Button in Suzuka last year. It just seems to make a big difference if the victim anticipates or not.

What also strikes me as odd about the ruling is that according to the statement of the stewards, it was worse because it affected title contenders. I do not understand how this could affect the penalty. All drivers should be equal in their rights on the track and backmarkers are just as likely to get injured as title contenders.

Great race from Button and a well deserved win.

Vettel might have driven one of his own best races (after a less than perfect qualli) he did give his teammate something to think about.

Kimi provided the most entertainment. It's a pity he could not keep up after the safety car, maybe he had trouble keeping the tyres warm. I can imagine this happens to a car which is gentle to it's tyres. His pass on Schumacher was a true masterpiece.

Looking forward to Monza!

Any speculations who will sit in the second Lotus?

Quite an enjoyable race to watch. Even though I think Grosjean's penalty is fair, his move was not really different to what Vettel did to Button in Suzuka last year. It just seems to make a big difference if the victim anticipates or not.

What also strikes me as odd about the ruling is that according to the statement of the stewards, it was worse because it affected title contenders. I do not understand how this could affect the penalty. All drivers should be equal in their rights on the track and backmarkers are just as likely to get injured as title contenders.

Great race from Button and a well deserved win.

Vettel might have driven one of his own best races (after a less than perfect qualli) he did give his teammate something to think about.

Kimi provided the most entertainment. It's a pity he could not keep up after the safety car, maybe he had trouble keeping the tyres warm. I can imagine this happens to a car which is gentle to it's tyres. His pass on Schumacher was a true masterpiece.

Looking forward to Monza!

Any speculations who will sit in the second Lotus?

The reason that is looked at more seriously is because Grosjean is a member of a team with another driver, Räikkönen, who is in title contention. There could be more at play then just driver error/foolish move. If that were the case then this would be a very serious offense and thus it is worse.

ouch

I don't exactly think that Roman said "Let me bounce off Hammy and go flying into Alonso". Things happen so quickly at the first turn that I doubt the drivers are aware of who's who.

I think the sickest move of the day was Michael's cutting in front of Vettel at the entrance to the pits. :scared:

Has anyone seen a picture of the telemetry data that Hamilton released on twitter to show the difference between his car and Button's?

I really like Hamilton but that sounds like a bonehead move to me.

Has anyone seen a picture of the telemetry data that Hamilton released on twitter to show the difference between his car and Button's?

I really like Hamilton but that sounds like a bonehead move to me.

$15862.jpg

Interesting quote from Whitmarsh about the pictures being tweeted. "In reality it wasn't great because we don't share data with the world, the the actual data in there is not going to be of any great use to our competitors I would say. I don't think there is actually any technical damage done. It was a genuine mistake on his part. The engineers don't like to see that because we spend our lives trying to keep things secret. It's more what it represents than what was [in the image]."

Last edited:

ouch

Hamilton is one of the most talented drivers in the world, but he really has to tone down the complaints. There seem to be two types of drivers- the ones who can only succeed when everything is perfectly to their liking, and those who can make do under less than ideal circumstances. Fernando's performance this year clearly places him in the latter category, and I think Vettel (always presumed to be the 'touchier' of the two Red Bull drivers) did a lot to show he can compete in a car that doesn't have last year's huge advantage. Kimi also had a terrific drive with some marvelous passes despite struggling with the car for most of the race. I see why he has so many fans.

Best news of all? Practice in two days.

Top Bottom