What's new

How many of you just go against the grain right from the start?

I must admit that I often do this, especially when shaving every day of the week before work. I actually find it more efficient. I know its not exactly what you're supposed to do, but it can work well.

Does anyone else here do this sometimes?:biggrin1:

I used to shave that way before I found this site. I only did one pass. I hadn't come across the multiple pass stubble reduction idea before this site. I remember it being much more efficient, but not as gentle or smooth.

There's no way I would ever be able to do that, in fact, there's some places where I never should on my neck... I find a sort of "Gillette Slide" upwards on my neck usually works even better than if I'd go ATG there.

Nope, sorry. If I did that the Red Cross would never keep up with the requests for their finest vintage.

A guy I used to work for did this with a Mach 3. He would put a hot towel on his face for a minute and then put on some cream and off the stubble went. He never had razor burn or irritation in the entire time I worked for him. I was impressed and pretty envious, too.

I LIVE ATG...but never shave that way. Sometimes I'll ATG right from the get go S-N down around the ol' Adam's Apple, but that's just to preserve my beautiful singing voice. Like most of us, I like to mow it all down WTG, re-prep (or better put...CONTINUE to prep) and very smoothly and gently attack ATG, or from whatever little corners fit my handsome face.

I wait until the third or so pass and then make sure I go lightly with plenty of cream. I don't feel I have a good shave if I don't throw things into reverse.

I wait until the third or so pass and then make sure I go lightly with plenty of cream. I don't feel I have a good shave if I don't throw things into reverse.

Same here. I used to go ATG with a cheap disposable before I found this sight. Now I know why I used to have shaving with a passion.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
For me, it would be an invitation to irritation.

Gradual reduction, baby.

I tried that once with my first straight, a DD Styledge. Not what I would call a steller moment in shaving. That razor is so light, a 3/8, that it bounced a couple times almost giving me a few extra chins. No blood but plenty of OUCH!!!

Used to do this yonks ago, when I first used a straight. I only shaved every other day at most, it worked fine. But I didn't shave for ages and then when I did, it tore my face up, every time I did. So I looked on the internet for tips, and found sites like this one. I not only learned to shave myself much better, but to make it much more enjoyable, so now I shave every day.

when i was a kid i use to do that with my sensor, i would end up with some serious turkey neck, but with time, i learned the first with, then cross, then against, well, actually the across the grain didnt come till i started watching some of those shaving guides on youtube, if the guy who makes them is a member, well, thank you, thank you very much,

I go ATG on my head for the first pass,with a slant bar. No problems at all, zero nicks and/ or irritation. BBS every time. Hot shower, Erasmic shave stick with JM Fraser, and no after care.

I wish my face was that easy.

Ouch. Even the thought of it causes razor burn. Even an Across TG on the first pass can be trouble if I'm tackling a more than 24 hour growth.

Jim

There is no way I can contemplate shaving ATG whether it be a first time or a last time. I would mean disaster.:a15: :a15:

Top Bottom