Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Will the real "Old Spice" please stand up

hey folks: long-time shaver here; first started in 1969, when my housemaster at the Philadelphia orphanage i grew up in took a look at me one day, called me into his office, opened a drawer, and handed me a box containing a small ball-end Gillette, and said, 'Use it.' of course, i tore my face up, and boy howdy, in those days of Aqua Velva and Hai Karate, there was a sting!

i have to say that i was both surprised and disappointed to recently learn of the demise of Old Spice through Proctor and God's reformulation, so i had to find out for myself; just came back from Wally World, where i picked up a bottle of the 'Classic' aftershave (made in Canada), and...

it ain't Old Spice - dunno what it is, but that ain't it...

so i took the advice of other folks in this great thread, and swung by a Family Dollar and picked up a couple bottles of its Vijon-made 'Spice' - close, but not bad in this 'ol geezer's opinion... i then did, also as suggested here, a 50/50 mix of the two brands, and...

very, very close... not quite, but close enough for me... the wife unit likes it, and she remembers the original quite well

so there ya go, my $0.02 opinion - and kudos to the OP for the effort on the chromatograhpic analysis - very interesting!

willie
    on the sunny and warm Gulf of Mexico

I suggest you pick up a bottle of Old Spice Original aftershave from India. It is exactly as I remember my father using in the 80's when I was growing up, and is one I now use regularly. It is wonderful to have that around again!
    '46-'48 Aristocrats, '55-'56 Red Tips, '58-'59 Fatboys, '62 Slim, '74 Super Speed

Images

Do they still sell the Old Spice clone at Dollar General ?
    Las Vegas is the only place I know where money really talks. It says, Goodbye. - Sinatra

Quote Originally Posted by Maxime D. View Post
    Do they still sell the Old Spice clone at Dollar General ?
    When I was there a few months ago, it was in stock. I even picked up a bottle of it to compare against the new version by P&G, and preferred the one from the Family Dollar.

The best is still by far the version of Old Spice Original from India if you can get some of that. I still have four bottles of it stored away safely for when I use up my current bottle. ;-)
    Last edited by Penknight; 02-03-2015 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Had to correct the name of the store.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Penknight View Post
    When I was there a few months ago, it was in stock. I even picked up a bottle of it to compare against the new version by P&G, and preferred the one from the Family Dollar.

The best is still by far the version of Old Spice Original from India if you can get some of that. I still have four bottles of it stored away safely for when I use up my current bottle. ;-)
    Thanks for the info. I'm crossing the border, next monday, I'll pass by the dollar general and snag a few bottles. :D
    Las Vegas is the only place I know where money really talks. It says, Goodbye. - Sinatra

Quote Originally Posted by Maxime D. View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'm crossing the border, next monday, I'll pass by the dollar general and snag a few bottles. :D
    Just remember that there is a difference between Dollar General and Family Dollar. Family Dollar is where I found the best price for the Vi-Jon Spice. Meijer, Walgreens, CVS, and other places tend to have it, but marked up in price.

Please let me know where you pick yours up from next week, and good luck to you!
    '46-'48 Aristocrats, '55-'56 Red Tips, '58-'59 Fatboys, '62 Slim, '74 Super Speed

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314