What's new

Will the real "Old Spice" please stand up

I apologize for bumping this to the top with nothing to add, I am reading this thread and am afraid of losing it on my phone when i need to find it easily.

My journey began like many of you...buying the P&G plastic bottle and working my way from there. I currently am bidding on the bay for vintage bottles to compare the scents. Looking forward to joining the Shulton Old Spice club!

$image.jpg
Look what my grandfather just gave me

Nice thank you mate.

So how do you like it and how does it compare to Special Reserve? I'm not even sure why there's a debate about Special Reserve. I think it's great although it took me a few applications to fully appreciate it. I think those who aren't crazy about it don't like stronger scents with longevity.

I'm having a bit more of a struggle with Lilac Vegetal. Thoe first few sniffs of the fingers in the first hour are a little problematic, but once it dries down, it's a nice, pleasant scent. I think most older barber shops smell more like The Veg than they do original Clubman.

If there's any writing on the back of the bottle of Burley, would you be so kind as to post a photo of that, too? Would it be so difficult for Proctor & Gamble to take a look at the formula and issue it as a novelty item in a glass bottle during the holidays? There's no imagination in that company. They won't even distribute the India OS Musk or Lime here. If they advertised a holiday gift box sold through their website of all these aftershaves, once word got around there would be a pretty nice sized advance order.

I should add that this doesn't smell like special reserve, it's just that type of scent. It's in the same vein as SR, Avon Oland, and English Leather.

I don't care for SR myself. There's just some note in it that attacks my nose. But diluted down when mixed up in Bootleggers El Dorado, it's fantastic.

Shaveathon said:
If there's any writing on the back of the bottle of Burley, would you be so kind as to post a photo of that, too?
Here's the back of my bottle
proxy.php

Well this is the best place I think to post this -
Just found at a local shop an unopened bottle of...
$IMAG1314.jpg$IMAG1315.jpg$IMAG1316.jpg

I have used OS forever but always assumed it was just the PG but I remember this Box. I will judge later tonight if I decide to open it...:001_cool:

Why oh why did it have to be Proctor & Gamble that purchased Old Spice from Shulton?
proxy.php
proxy.php

Attachments

• $1001.gif
    $1001.gif
    492.8 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Excuse my ignorance: So which Old Spice aftershave from India best matches the vintage Shulton version?

The 2 bottles of OS I have directly from India look like the red bottle on the left of this picture :

proxy.php

The bottles I have are most definitely different from the stuff I've picked up Stateside. More spicy and true to the original OS scent. Not perfect, but much closer.

I stand by the idea that a mix of the current P&G offering with a ViJon clone is the best and most cost effective way to replicate the Shulton profile.

Don't have the bottle on hand, but about 90% sure it says P&G on the bottle now. I have an old bottle that says Shulton but the more recent one I received now say P&G.

Actually I ended up buying a lot of 3 vintage Shulton A/S bottles off the bay, all around 3/4 full. They arrive on Saturday 10/15. Should be very interesting.

Thanks but who makes them? Rubicon? Shulton?
This is one of the many bottles that I picked up in India in March. Manufactured by Rubicon, marketed by Procter & Gamble. Smells magnificent; definitely different then the Old Spice Classic in the US.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Top Bottom