What's new

Will the real "Old Spice" please stand up

Musikmann, just a few questions:

1) What does the Whitewater smell like?
2) Is Shulton or P&G listed on the bottle or are both listed?
3) What country produces it?

1. Hard to describe but slightly fruity
2. Both are listed but only a copyright symbol followed by 1999 Shulton, Inc.
3. Made in USA. Dist. by Proctor & Gamble

1. Hard to describe but slightly fruity
2. Both are listed but only a copyright symbol followed by 1999 Shulton, Inc.
3. Made in USA. Dist. by Proctor & Gamble

Thanks for the info. I'm not a fan of the flowery or fruity scents (well, maybe an orange type musk), but I would have bought it just to place on the shelf!

Thanks for the info. I'm not a fan of the flowery or fruity scents (well, maybe an orange type musk), but I would have bought it just to place on the shelf!

You're welcome. I like it and don't regret buying that but I don't find myself reaching for it very often. BTW the cologne is a spray or atomizer bottle.

AWESOME POST!! This explains why my recollection of Shulton's 60s product is different from what is is the shops today. MANY THANKS.

I usually mix vi-jon spice and P&G OS cologne half and half. I then decant it into a vintage OS bottle. Not quite the same as Shulton OS, but pretty close.

Curious. P&G makes old spice in India since 2012. I just posted the story on another thread. What's accepted now is that many ebay sellers from India stating Shulton are actually selling the new P&G versions. You should know this. http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=461432

By "new P&G versions", do you mean the Rubicon licensed Original Old Spice which supposedly is still the old Shulton formula, or the Classic Old Spice formula from the USA?

I usually mix vi-jon spice and P&G OS cologne half and half. I then decant it into a vintage OS bottle. Not quite the same as Shulton OS, but pretty close.

Would you know if the USA manufactured Classic Old Spice Cologne is stronger with a spicier scent than the Classic Old Spice Aftershave?

I tried the Rubicon Original Old Spice Aftershave from India (which I received gratis from Walmart), and it didn't seem to have the strong scent or burn that an old bottle of mid nineties P&G Shulton Old Spice had when spashing on after a shave. The Rubicon version's scent also didn't seem to last as long. The reason could be that my old P&G Shulton bottle was cologne and not the aftershave.

Has anyone compared the MCPL/Shulton manufactured Original Old Spice Aftershave from India to the Rubicon version?

As I wrote on another Old Spice thread, I really like the Old Spice Musk from India. It's a real, clean scent that lasts for quite awhile.

By "new P&G versions", do you mean the Rubicon licensed Original Old Spice which supposedly is still the old Shulton formula, or the Classic Old Spice formula from the USA?

Specific to India, prior to 2012 MCPL used to make the Shulton formula and stamp the bottle with "Shulton". Post 2012 with the P&G takeover, we now see Rubicon. I find these two scents somewhat different. So I am not sure if MCPL the older license holder passed on the Shulton formula. In all probability, P&G hired Rubicon and gave them a formula to work with.

Shaveathon,
It seems stronger to me. I'm really not a cologne guy. In the past, I mixed P&G AS with the Vi-Jon spice. Then one day I accidentally grabbed P&G cologne instead. I didn't realize my mistake until I got home, but decided to go ahead and try it. I found that by mixing with the cologne, the Vi-Jon (which in its own the scent lasts maybe an hour, and with the AS was lasting about 3 hours) was lasting 4+hours. Like I said it's not the same scent as vintage Shulton, but to me it's fairly close. Old Spice, New Spice, Vi-Jon Spice, Avon Spice, I love them all.

Last edited:
Since this seems to be THE thread about Old Spice here on B&B, with the most experienced opinions, I thought I'd mention that I just started a new thread regarding all the European versions made in the UK and Germany. I'm not sure if Rubicon is making those, but if anyone has tried both the Indian and European versions, it would interesting to know their opinions. Take a look at the collage below. I have a little more detail in the thread:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...ade-in-the-UK-or-Germany-(with-photo-collage)

Collage - (click to enlarge):

Shaveathon,
It seems stronger to me. I'm really not a cologne guy. In the past, I mixed P&G AS with the Vi-Jon spice. Then one day I accidentally grabbed P&G cologne instead. I didn't realize my mistake until I got home, but decided to go ahead and try it. I found that by mixing with the cologne, the Vi-Jon (which in its own the scent lasts maybe an hour, and with the AS was lasting about 3 hours) was lasting 4+hours. Like I said it's not the same scent as vintage Shulton, but to me it's fairly close. Old Spice, New Spice, Vi-Jon Spice, Avon Spice, I love them all.

What was the mixing formula that you used for Vijon and the Old Spice Cologne together? For the aftershave, I've seen some say 50/50 or mix 2 oz. of the Classic Old Spice with 4 oz. of the Vijon in a separate decanter (1 to 2 ratio of Classic to Vijon).

I wasn't impressed with their take on the old spice scent(Stirling Spice) in bath soaps and shave soap. Not even close. I won't be buying the Aftershave because of this. I really like Avons take on Old Spice(Avon Spicy).

Yes it sold under another name like Classic Spice or such. But it made in the same place and CVS is usually a rip off when it comes to price except when I score some old stock Williams for 50 cents a puck a few years back.
I know this over a year later, but my CVS sells its Old Spice Clone for $7.99 a bottle.

Top Bottom