Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Will the real "Old Spice" please stand up

1. Default

This is some interesting stuff! My father used to use this (I distinctly remember the Old Spice bottle and the grey stopper on top). I'll have to drop by a few Indian markets and see if they carry it, otherwise I know what I'll be purchasing in a few months!...

Thanks OP.

Cambridgeshire, UK, CONUS shipping address

I have in my possession 4 of the major players of Old Spice aftershave lotion as well as vintage Old Spice Cologne (a stronger scent of the original, not part of this test).
    From left to right:
    1. Old Spice "Original" (from India), plastic bottle (Shulton)
    2. Old Spice "Classic" (from USA), plastic bottle (P&G)
    3. Old Spice "Original" (from Germany), glass bottle (P&G)
    4. Old Spice '70s vintage (from USA), glass bottle (Shulton, NJ)

Test 1: I had a sniff direct from each bottle.
    Result 1: To my nose, the closest to the vintage original was the OS from India.

Test 2: I put a drop of each onto a square of tissue and let sit for 5 minutes then did another sniff test.
    Result 2: To me and my 2 daughters, the closest to the vintage original was the OS from India.

Test 3: Let the tissues sit for an hour then did another sniff test.
    Result 3: To me and my 2 daughters and SWMBO, the closest to the vintage original was the OS from India. My eldest daughter went so far as to say that the EU & US versions "smelled fake".

Test 4: Let the tissues sit for 3 hours (longevity test) then did another sniff test.
    Result 4:
    1. Old Spice "Original": Scent still noticeable
    2. Old Spice "Classic": Scent nearly faded completely
    3. Old Spice "Original": Scent still vibrant (scent had shifted slightly, harsher)
    4. Old Spice '70s vintage: Scent still noticeable

So, to my family, it looks like the OS from Shulton/India is the best match for the vintage stuff. I'll bring the stash to work and repeat the tests with the ladies and gents in the office.
    Every pizza is a 'personal pizza' if you try hard enough and believe in yourself.

I just discovered this topic and admittedly I have not read every post yet. But my initial impression is that the gas chromatography performed by the OP (coincidentally in WV as I am) is an excellent test to settle this apparent dispute.

My father wore this, partly due to the fact my mother loved it. Ironically, she worked in the fragrance lab at P&G in the 1940s. Had she been there when P&G bought Shulton I think she would have voted to maintain the original formula.
    Dave belongs to *Order of the Kent* & *Alliance of Merkur*

4. Default

Just finished reading the entire thread and found it very interesting. I thought it would say what what the OS was so it could be duplicated at home, like making your own shaving soap. But it wasn't to be. I have no idea what the spices are in OS, but have always liked the fragrance and have using it since 1973 when I first became a Dad. Always figured that was a "Dad Smell" as my Dad wore it until he switched to Bay Rum. Never did like Bay Rum.
    This thread inspired me to look in the bathrooms to see What OS bottles I had. In one I had a small glass bottle made in Canada and a large glass bottle of OS with a white stopper from OH. In the other a bottle of Pure Sport. Don't know where the one from Canada came from but the smell is weaker than the large bottle.

This is a great study. From what I saw on west coast shaving the Indian bottle of Old Spice is 50ml which I converted on the internet to be around 1.7oz. Is the bottle that small or is it around the 4 to 6oz of the vintage bottles
    The Stirllng Syndicate Brotherhood of the Boar Order of Gillette Adjustables

Quote Originally Posted by tronsistor View Post
    This is a great study. From what I saw on west coast shaving the Indian bottle of Old Spice is 50ml which I converted on the internet to be around 1.7oz. Is the bottle that small or is it around the 4 to 6oz of the vintage bottles
    Nope, it's really that small.

WCS also sells a 150ml bottle (pump spray)
    WTG?? WTG????? THIS IS SPARTA!!!!!

Default Shulton Old spice India No more

Just picked up Oldspice shaving cream and AS in India. It is now marketed by P&G and not by Shulton. Interestingly it is manufactured by the same company (that supplied to Shulton). I am attaching photos. The first photo is Shulton Oldspice ( Photo taken from Badger and Blade - Shameless Dime Store Aftershave page 3) and the second and third Photos are of Oldspice AS is Picked up today. Theses are from P&G. At first look the Manufacturer looks different but on closer look it is the same factory - Rubicon Formulation M163 Walhuj Aurungabad.

It is the same story with Shaving Cream. For the shaving cream the supplier is from Himachal Pradesh India

Now the big question about the smell. It smell nice and reminds me of the oldspice AS i used 4 years back. . Does it smell same as the original/vintage ????
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OldSpiceIndianFormula_zpsce0a6e0d.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	432306Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0058.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	432307
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0059.jpg  

Cambridgeshire, UK, CONUS shipping address

Well that is NOT cool. :(
    Guess I should stock up before P&G screws up this last source.
    Every pizza is a 'personal pizza' if you try hard enough and believe in yourself.

Images

I am sticking with Ivy Club Spice from Family Dollar!
    I'm a ole Minister who loves the Ole South. I am an Arko Acolyte.

Quote Originally Posted by Deltaboy View Post
    I am sticking with Ivy Club Spice from Family Dollar!
    I just bought a bottle of this for $2 at Family Dollar and I like it but mine does not say Ivy Club. The CVS here wanted $5.99 for what appeared to be the same product.
    Last edited by Musikmann; 04-17-2014 at 04:13 AM.
    Dave belongs to *Order of the Kent* & *Alliance of Merkur*