What's new

Will the real "Old Spice" please stand up

This is some interesting stuff! My father used to use this (I distinctly remember the Old Spice bottle and the grey stopper on top). I'll have to drop by a few Indian markets and see if they carry it, otherwise I know what I'll be purchasing in a few months!...

Thanks OP.

proxy.php

I have in my possession 4 of the major players of Old Spice aftershave lotion as well as vintage Old Spice Cologne (a stronger scent of the original, not part of this test).
From left to right:
1. Old Spice "Original" (from India), plastic bottle (Shulton)
2. Old Spice "Classic" (from USA), plastic bottle (P&G)
3. Old Spice "Original" (from Germany), glass bottle (P&G)
4. Old Spice '70s vintage (from USA), glass bottle (Shulton, NJ)

Test 1: I had a sniff direct from each bottle.
Result 1: To my nose, the closest to the vintage original was the OS from India.

Test 2: I put a drop of each onto a square of tissue and let sit for 5 minutes then did another sniff test.
Result 2: To me and my 2 daughters, the closest to the vintage original was the OS from India.

Test 3: Let the tissues sit for an hour then did another sniff test.
Result 3: To me and my 2 daughters and SWMBO, the closest to the vintage original was the OS from India. My eldest daughter went so far as to say that the EU & US versions "smelled fake".

Test 4: Let the tissues sit for 3 hours (longevity test) then did another sniff test.
Result 4:
1. Old Spice "Original": Scent still noticeable
2. Old Spice "Classic": Scent nearly faded completely
3. Old Spice "Original": Scent still vibrant (scent had shifted slightly, harsher)
4. Old Spice '70s vintage: Scent still noticeable

So, to my family, it looks like the OS from Shulton/India is the best match for the vintage stuff. I'll bring the stash to work and repeat the tests with the ladies and gents in the office.

I just discovered this topic and admittedly I have not read every post yet. But my initial impression is that the gas chromatography performed by the OP (coincidentally in WV as I am) is an excellent test to settle this apparent dispute.

My father wore this, partly due to the fact my mother loved it. Ironically, she worked in the fragrance lab at P&G in the 1940s. Had she been there when P&G bought Shulton I think she would have voted to maintain the original formula.

Just finished reading the entire thread and found it very interesting. I thought it would say what what the OS was so it could be duplicated at home, like making your own shaving soap. But it wasn't to be. I have no idea what the spices are in OS, but have always liked the fragrance and have using it since 1973 when I first became a Dad. Always figured that was a "Dad Smell" as my Dad wore it until he switched to Bay Rum. Never did like Bay Rum.
This thread inspired me to look in the bathrooms to see What OS bottles I had. In one I had a small glass bottle made in Canada and a large glass bottle of OS with a white stopper from OH. In the other a bottle of Pure Sport. Don't know where the one from Canada came from but the smell is weaker than the large bottle.

This is a great study. From what I saw on west coast shaving the Indian bottle of Old Spice is 50ml which I converted on the internet to be around 1.7oz. Is the bottle that small or is it around the 4 to 6oz of the vintage bottles

This is a great study. From what I saw on west coast shaving the Indian bottle of Old Spice is 50ml which I converted on the internet to be around 1.7oz. Is the bottle that small or is it around the 4 to 6oz of the vintage bottles

Nope, it's really that small.

Just picked up Oldspice shaving cream and AS in India. It is now marketed by P&G and not by Shulton. Interestingly it is manufactured by the same company (that supplied to Shulton). I am attaching photos. The first photo is Shulton Oldspice ( Photo taken from Badger and Blade - Shameless Dime Store Aftershave page 3) and the second and third Photos are of Oldspice AS is Picked up today. Theses are from P&G. At first look the Manufacturer looks different but on closer look it is the same factory - Rubicon Formulation M163 Walhuj Aurungabad.

It is the same story with Shaving Cream. For the shaving cream the supplier is from Himachal Pradesh India

Now the big question :sneaky2: about the smell. It smell nice and reminds me of the oldspice AS i used 4 years back. :001_unsur . Does it smell same as the original/vintage ????

$OldSpiceIndianFormula_zpsce0a6e0d.jpg$DSC_0058.jpg

Attachments

• $DSC_0059.jpg
    $DSC_0059.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 280
I am sticking with Ivy Club Spice from Family Dollar!

I just bought a bottle of this for $2 at Family Dollar and I like it but mine does not say Ivy Club. The CVS here wanted $5.99 for what appeared to be the same product.

Last edited:
Picked up the OS ship glass decanter on the bay about a week ago for $8 and it was actually 3/4 full with the vintage Shulton stuff! What a great surprise, smells just like I remember, and now have to ration it out :)

I just bought a bottle of this for $2 at Family Dollar and I like it but mine does not say Ivy Club. The CVS here wanted $5.99 for what appeared to be the same product.
Yes it sold under another name like Classic Spice or such. But it made in the same place and CVS is usually a rip off when it comes to price except when I score some old stock Williams for 50 cents a puck a few years back.

Yes it sold under another name like Classic Spice or such. But it made in the same place and CVS is usually a rip off when it comes to price except when I score some old stock Williams for 50 cents a puck a few years back.

Thanks for the reply. For what it's worth my Family Dollar bottle is called Family Dollar "spice aftershave" using italics and bold just like that. And it is stamped "Vi-Jon" in raised print on the bottom.

Not being a fan of Old Spice at all, I would like to comment on the indian manufacturing. I have spent last year in Delhi and I can see that major brands don't make the traditional products but rather market them. Same as Godrej shaving puck which is not made by Godrej (a huge manufacturing conglomerate) but by a factory for whom the only reason to exist is that they make this product for Godrej. Same with Old Spice - it is still made by the same factory and chances that PG will start messing up with its production are next to none. PG owns the trademark, so they took over the marketing. The approach in India - if it works don't touch it. Sometimes it is too traditional...

I just refuse to pay the India OLD SPICE Prices plus the wife hates Old Spice cause it smells like Dad and her brothers so for what ever reason she thinks ViJon Spice in it's dollar store clothing is great.

I just refuse to pay the India OLD SPICE Prices plus the wife hates Old Spice cause it smells like Dad and her brothers so for what ever reason she thinks ViJon Spice in it's dollar store clothing is great.

As long as you're not in a rush to get it, you can easily pick it up for around $3 with free shipping from India on the bay, it just takes quite a bit to finally arrive here in the states. Now swmbo's opinion...that may be a little more difficult to sway :lol:

So for clarification before I make a purchase from West Coast Shaving... Is their Old Spice from India, and if so, does it smell the way it used to back in the day, or can someone be kind enough to give me a link to the real stuff from a trusted vendor? Thank you!

Top Bottom