What's new

Will the real "Old Spice" please stand up

Wow..what an interesting thread. Read all 12 pages of it.

I remember, some years back a friend came from the States, and he carried over his OS AS. I quite liked the smell, probably since I was so tuned into the OS here; I kept his bottle. Old Spice was/is practically the only after shave, till the economy opened up (maybe Blue Stratos but that was expensive), used for commercial and individual consumption. To be honest "we" would gift men, Old Spice after shave on special occasions, and would go out of the way to find the spray version -called- an atomizer here, for some reason...! Then the Gillette brand came in, and dynamics started to change. Many households would use OS as a minor disinfectant too...!

Had a question: Old Spice has quite a high "burn" rate. Meaning: when applied, it usually sets the face on fire. How much variation was there in the different versions. Primarily the American and Indian versions. I cannot remember, to be sure, since I used the American version once..!

My biggest laugh about OS is the wife made me give my collection to my Father when we got married 20 years ago cause I could not smell like her brothers or Dad. About 5 or 6 years ago I heard about FD or Dollar General Spice on a Cheap Drugstore Thread here. I got a bottle and started wearing it and the wife loved it on me. Sadly my Father has used up all that Old Spice I had collected back from 1976-1990. I had a real stash cause I got the AS/ Col gift sets from both Grandparents and from my Aunts and Uncles plus I got 10 sets when I graduated from HS in 1984. Dad is a OS / AV Ice Blue daily wearer.

It does not list tallow in the ingredients. Just a palm based stearic acid. It whips up a real good smooth lather with a strong scent of the old OS.

I know this was a sticky, but it seems to have come unpinned. Thought this bump might be useful to some of the members asking about Indian Old Spice and others, like the variety from Germany and Canada. I hope no one minds my bumping this...

August, should you mind, please let me know.

I used Old Spice Original today, and I'm very glad that I did. While it may have been Clubman Friday, I was needing some Old Spice to see me through the rest of the long day. :wink2:

I know this was a sticky, but it seems to have come unpinned. Thought this bump might be useful to some of the members asking about Indian Old Spice and others, like the variety from Germany and Canada. I hope no one minds my bumping this...

August, should you mind, please let me know.

Of course not. Back on top.

I think the Family Dollar Store version smells more like I remember than the P&G variety. Longevity seems weak with both, though. But it's hard for me to tell after 27 years of smoking and losing most of my sense of smell.

I think the Family Dollar Store version smells more like I remember than the P&G variety. Longevity seems weak with both, though. But it's hard for me to tell after 27 years of smoking and losing most of my sense of smell.

My experience is that the P&G OS Classic lasts throughout the day--certainly longer than any other AS I own. I wonder how its longevity compares to the Shulton for those who've tried both.

My experience is that the P&G OS Classic lasts throughout the day--certainly longer than any other AS I own. I wonder how its longevity compares to the Shulton for those who've tried both.

I have both and neither AS lasts very long but the P&G cologne seems to. But it's hard to tell since I seem to "get used to it" and the fragrance disappears.

I've several versions of Old Spice spanning the early 60s to the present.
Although the new P&G smells ok your nose immediately knows (hey! How about that?!)
the difference between that and vintage. So I bought Indian OS and once sniffed
i was taken back to that 'Dad Aroma' ....it smells exactly how I remember.
Well, in my minds nose anyway.

OK, so my two bottles of 100 ml Shulton Old Spice Original arrived from India shortly before Christmas. As I've been nursing a cold, I hadn't applied the Shulton until today due to olfactory shutdown. I'm smelling again, so here's my assessment of the difference between the Indian and P&G. Although I'm 48, I don't have a good baseline for comparison with the vintage as neither I nor my dad or grandfather used it, so I'll restrict my comments to the dual comparison.

I like both, as do my wife and youngest son. I'm finding I do prefer the Shulton, however, in terms of scent, as also do my wife and son. It seems to have a bit more depth and complexity than the P&G, somehow more natural. I find it to have more of a woodsiness to it, and a bit more spice, while the P&G seems a bit more powdery. The P&G, on the other hand, definitely has more projection, silage, and longevity to my nose, which I consider to be a strength. I'll have to see if the Shulton stays with me throughout the day.

As stated, I like both, and think they might play nicely mixed together on occasion. I see myself using the P&G more as a workaday AS, and using the Shulton as something a bit more refined for a casual evening out. I would have no problem reapplying the Shulton after lunch, but I might be a bit reluctant to do the same, at least at full strength, with the P&G. All in all, I'm happy to have both in my rotation.

OK, so my two bottles of 100 ml Shulton Old Spice Original arrived from India shortly before Christmas. As I've been nursing a cold, I hadn't applied the Shulton until today due to olfactory shutdown. I'm smelling again, so here's my assessment of the difference between the Indian and P&G. Although I'm 48, I don't have a good baseline for comparison with the vintage as neither I nor my dad or grandfather used it, so I'll restrict my comments to the dual comparison.

I like both, as do my wife and youngest son. I'm finding I do prefer the Shulton, however, in terms of scent, as also do my wife and son. It seems to have a bit more depth and complexity than the P&G, somehow more natural. I find it to have more of a woodsiness to it, and a bit more spice, while the P&G seems a bit more powdery. The P&G, on the other hand, definitely has more projection, silage, and longevity to my nose, which I consider to be a strength. I'll have to see if the Shulton stays with me throughout the day.

As stated, I like both, and think they might play nicely mixed together on occasion. I see myself using the P&G more as a workaday AS, and using the Shulton as something a bit more refined for a casual evening out. I would have no problem reapplying the Shulton after lunch, but I might be a bit reluctant to do the same, at least at full strength, with the P&G. All in all, I'm happy to have both in my rotation.

Thanks for the review.

Really Eh, the P&G has the longevity!?

Well, after putting in a full day with the Shulton, I noted the next morning as I hopped in the shower that I could still smell the vanilla base. With that revelation, I have to revise my previous statement and give the longevity award to the Shulton Old Spice. Regardless, I have to disagree, at least in my case, with other opinions averring that either Old Spice scent is fleeting. Both last throughout the day. Further, the Shulton drastically metamorphosizes throughout the day, while the Classic is completely linear.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm from Europe, and I've been using Old Spice since 1998, so I guess I'm that p&g generation.:)
I don't know much about american versions of the Old Spice,in plastic bottles, and I can't remember the old Shulton OS's that my dad, grandpa and ucle used, but right now I do have two versions, made by P&B in Germany.They are both in a glass bottle, Old Spice Original, one is 250ml and the other is 100ml.The smaller one is from October(10/2014) so it's fresh, and the bigger one is much older.
They have different ingredients
250ml
Alcohol denat., Aqua, Propylene Glycol, Parfum, Benzyl Alcohol, Limonene, Linalool, Eugenol, Benzyl Benzonate, Citronellol, Geraniol, Cinnamyl Alcohol, Citral, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Evernia Furfuracea Extract, Evernia Prunastri Extract, Hexyl Cinnamal, Hydroxycitronellal

100ml
Alcohol denat., Aqua, Propylene Glycol, Parfum, Benzyl Alcohol, Limonene, Eugenol, Linalool, Citronellol, Geraniol, Benzyl Benzonate, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Cinnamyl Alcohol, Citral.

At first they are similar, but there is a difference in aroma.Newer one is a bit more vanillish but the older one is a little stronger.Yet, the both of them smell great and they last very long, but after some time, older one gets that vanilla thing going on, that the newer one had at the begining, and gets a bit softer.
When you smell the bottles, older one has this strong citron flavor, behind vanilla.

The European OS has gone through different reformulations in the past ten years, it seems.
But it is hard to find info on the EU OS here, since most B&B members only know the American and the Shelton versions.

If the formula changed in late 2014, I have not tried that yet. But I di know that the 2013 version is different from the 2010 version.

Someone here confirmed that the 2013 version smells like the American OS Classic. Maybe the latest EU adaptation is because of changing EU rules?

Top Bottom