What's new

Will the real "Old Spice" please stand up

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Personally, I prefer paying a bit more so that I don't have to deal with any unknowns. I order from one of our superb vendors here and feel confident I won't have to wait a long time, or deal with any potential shipping or packaging difficulties.
The peace of mind that I'll get what I paid for, and that I'll get it intact and quickly is worth the slight extra cost to me.

Personally, I prefer paying a bit more so that I don't have to deal with any unknowns. I order from one of our superb vendors here and feel confident I won't have to wait a long time, or deal with any potential shipping or packaging difficulties. The peace of mind that I'll get what I paid for, and that I'll get it intact and quickly is worth the slight extra cost to me.

I'd like to ditto this comment. West Coast Shaving seems like a great vendor. I just placed my first order to round out my Proraso collection and immediately received confirmation with order number, tracking number plus a re-cap of my order. I should have added some Indian Old Spice but forgot; that would have gotten me very close to free shipping and I'm sure I could have something else to round it up.

Yep, I ordered some Old Spice cream from west coast shaving earlier this week. I'm glad to hear that I got the "right" one. I've been shaving with some glycerine soap that smells like OS, but i'm looking forward to the real thing.. and in a cream.

Yep here too!

Got 2 tubes of the Old Spice cream and 2 bottles of the Old Spice A/S from West Coast Shaving.

Best authentic stuff there is out there folks!

Love the smell and I can tell a significant difference from the Old Spice new P&G stuff. I have a really sensitive nose though so YMMV.
:thumbup1:

I just placed an order for this. I'm taking it that this is the true formula from days gone by that we all knew and loved; not the reformulated aftershave that we do not recognize, correct? I miss my truly original scent of Old Spice that my father used to wear...

When it says original Shulton formula, from what year are we talking? Is it the scent I remember from the 80's growing up, or was the 80's version even different from this scent? Is this the version from the 40's and 50's? I'm very interested to see what you fine gentlemen have to say on this!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/27152998029...s=gh1g=I271529980299.N19.S2.M-4.R1.TR1.R1.TR1

Had the wrong link at first... :blushing:

Last edited:
Penknight,

Proctor & Gamble bought Old Spice in 1990 so certainly prior to that. I have never heard whether or not OS went through reformulations while Shulton still owned it.

My father wore it frequently and my mother loved it, that might have been the reason.

Penknight,

Proctor & Gamble bought Old Spice in 1990 so certainly prior to that. I have never heard whether or not OS went through reformulations while Shulton still owned it.

My father wore it frequently and my mother loved it, that might have been the reason.

Thank you. I wasn't sure if they had reformulated either. Badger and Blade is an incredible resource for information, and I always enjoy learning more about products that I've known for years, yet know next to nothing about.

Coming from India, with the box as shown, that should be the same Old Spice Original that West Coast Shaving sells, correct? Which means that it should be the same Old Spice that my father used since it's from India, right?

Thank you. I wasn't sure if they had reformulated either. Badger and Blade is an incredible resource for information, and I always enjoy learning more about products that I've known for years, yet know next to nothing about.

Coming from India, with the box as shown, that should be the same Old Spice Original that West Coast Shaving sells, correct? Which means that it should be the same Old Spice that my father used since it's from India, right?

I would bet money that the Indian-made Old Spice is the same as what your and my father used to wear. But mt father lived until 1995 so he might have worn some of the newer stuff too. My mother gave me all of my late father's colognes and aftershaves and I just might have some made prior to the P&G takeover but I doubt it. If I find some I'll let the members here know.

Yes, it just costs half as much if you order it from India directly.

Yes, it just costs half as much if you order it from India directly.

Thank you, Bobcat! I always appreciate your insights! :001_smile

I just now purchased a bottle of the Vi-Jon Spice Aftershave. Do you believe it closer to the original Old Spice we all know and love, or is it closer to the new stuff? I personally haven't had a chance to test it yet. That will come later this evening...

...I just now purchased a bottle of the Vi-Jon Spice Aftershave. Do you believe it closer to the original Old Spice we all know and love, or is it closer to the new stuff?...

I bought what Dollar General had and paid all of $2.00 + tax for a Vi-Jon bottle. CVS seems to sell the same product in an identical bottle (different label of course) but they want $5.99 + tax. I have tried and like it but I don't detect a vast difference between that and the P&G version. Better, but IMO not earth shattering.

One thing I just noticed is you'd better check the bottle capacities. Checking around there are 50, 100 and 150 ml sizes of the aftershave.

All Shulton today.

FYI-The Vi-Jon that is marketed in the various Dollar and Drug stores is based on the original Shulton formula. It does not have castor oil and is not as conditioning, but for $1.75?

All PM's answered.

proxy.php

All Shulton today.

FYI-The Vi-Jon that is marketed in the various Dollar and Drug stores is based on the original Shulton formula. It does not have castor oil and is not as conditioning, but for $1.75?...

I bought the Dollar General version (Vi-Jon) and it was only $2.00 + tax for 7 oz.

Top Bottom