What's new

Will the real "Old Spice" please stand up

I just received my bottle of 1988-vintage Shulton Old Spice AS, and splashed some on today. It seems to be the OS I remember, but it seems to smell WAY different than the current product. I didn't think there would be that much difference, which makes me think that maybe the bottle of new stuff I have is bad.

After rediscovering the vintage stuff, I'll echo what others have said about the Vi-Jon stuff being pretty dang close. The only big difference is the intense alcohol note of the knock-off scent, which fades once it dries-down anyways. Now, all I need to do is hit up Patel Bros. over here for some of the Indian stuff.

I recently recieved a bottle of NOS Shulton. When compared to the new stuff, there is easily a difference. I really like em both, the Shulton is more Spice...the P&G is 'powdery'. Either are great, classic, masculine scent IMO.

Current OS as marketed by WCS

proxy.php

Interesting thread. I picked up some OS "Classic Cologne" last week and its not what I remembered it smelling like. That was all my father used when I was growing up and I used it for about 20 years before I got away from it (too many other AS and colognes as Christmas presents to use up). To me it has a fainter/milder smell than I remember and it doesn't seem to last as long. I called OS and talked with a customer service rep and after a few minutes on hold, she told me that they haven't changed the formula, only the bottle and the way to dispense it. I'll have to see if I can find some vintage stock on line.

OK!! Here is my 2 cents worth!! I distinctively remember the Old Spice smell my grand father and my father had on and that was different to the P & G scent that's now available.

This evening I stopped by the Indian store here in Sydney and picked up a bottle of the Shulton Old Spice and BINGO!!! I was back in 1973. The Indian version is the real deal and I am going to go back and buy every bottle in sight.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
After a long wait I finally received my Old Spice Shulton aftershave made in India. I bought a while back the regular Old Spice made by Procter and Gamble. While the P&G old spice is okay, I mean, it's not spectacular but it's very usable, I like it, the Indian version is a different product. Less of a baby powder scent and "spicier". This is, of course, the first impression but it's a nice product. I don't think it's worth twice the price...

Nicely done Sir! I would like to raise another point. I have been using Old Spice deodorant Original Round Stick formula for over 30 years. It works for me and is cheap and readily available. The deodorant smells the same to me as it always has. Perhaps a scientific experiment testing the deodorant in comparison to the A/S offerings could yield some proof or add "fodder" to the Old Spice controversy.

To me. The P&G Old Spice Classic body wash is more "Old Spice" than the P&G aftershave. As recommended here, I mix the P&G OS aftershave with the Vi-Jon about half and half. I like that mixture better than either on their own.

Yeah, I'm not picky about whether the formula changed, which is better, etc.
Does what I can get my hands on smell good? That's what matters to me, and I think the Old Spice I can get my hands on does smell good.

(I do have a full vintage bottle, though, and I keep it locked away until the mood strikes me)

I picked up a bottle of the VI-Jon this morning. I am going to mix it 50/50 with the P&G. I'll also probably cut it a little with witch hazel for a lighter scent. I'm ok with the P&G by itself also.

I did my own, quick, unscientific scent test today. On the inside of one wrist I put P&G OS, the other wrist I put Vi-Jon and on the back of one hand I put P&G / Vi-Jon mix.

Results

I wasn't fond of the Vi-Jon on its own....too "sweet"

I like the P&G it gets better the longer you have it on

I liked the mix of the two..smelled almost the same as P&G I little more intense and lasted longer than either by themselves

Conclusion I'm good with the P&G and the mix of the two

Because of this thread, I ordered some Old Spice original (my local Old Spice is marked Made in Canada) and I have a bottle of the original Old Spice, the Shulton formula made in India (not the vintage stuff). I will report back but I already started with the regular (Canadian made) Old Spice and it's actually nice, better than I thought.

One of the funny thing that they wrote on the box

The Canuck version is theme as the US P&G version no?

I stopped into a small market recently and lo and behold, there was a bottle of Old Spice, vintage 1993 Shulton, made by Proctor & Gamble sitting in the shelf! I might add it was still in the box! It was priced at $7.99, and I knew it had been there forever, so I told the guy I'd take it off his hands if he gave me a discount. $5 later, I'm a proud new owner! I haven't tried it yet but my sniffer says it's slightly different from the modern formula. They both smell like Old Spice, though, IMHO.

I stopped into a small market recently and lo and behold, there was a bottle of Old Spice, vintage 1993 Shulton, made by Proctor & Gamble sitting in the shelf! I might add it was still in the box! It was priced at $7.99, and I knew it had been there forever, so I told the guy I'd take it off his hands if he gave me a discount. $5 later, I'm a proud new owner! I haven't tried it yet but my sniffer says it's slightly different from the modern formula. They both smell like Old Spice, though, IMHO.

Ugh.....unbelievable. I've got some on the way from WCS via the slow boat to China, but I keep my eyes out in every market I come across...great find!

Top Bottom