What's new

Will the real "Old Spice" please stand up

Can you take some photos of the bottle in the store, especially the wording on the back of the bottle and the box. It would be interesting to see if Shulton is mentioned anywhere if it's a glass bottle.

You know what? There's no mention of Shulton anywhere, however, I see no mention of the country of manufacture. All I see is that it's "distributed" by PG Cincinnati for the US and imported by PG Toronto for Canada. No mention of where the product is made (as opposed to my Canadian-made plastic bottle, which clearly states "made in Canada"). You can also see that the bottles were printed as bilingual for our province but the boxes weren't hence the french stickers added.

"I Can't Believe Its Not I Can't Believe Its Not Butter."
Lol I see what you are doing there :)

Vicar of Dibley ... "I can't believe that both I Can't Believe It's Not Butter and the stuff that I can't believe is not I Can't Believe It's Not Butter are both, in fact, not butter."

Lol

That's where I got that line! I'm impressed that anyone else remembered it. The Vicar was a terrific programme. Great ensemble cast, well written, even timely in its subject matter. And always funny as hell to boot.

That's where I got that line! I'm impressed that anyone else remembered it. The Vicar was a terrific programme. Great ensemble cast, well written, even timely in its subject matter. And always funny as hell to boot.
I totally agree. The I can't believe it's not butter sketch was from 1994. A timeless classic!!

Old Spice was an inexpensive aftershave. If P&G thought they weren't realising enough profit and saw that their options were either to raise the price 3 or 4 dollars or to destroy the recipe to use cheaper ingredients I can't believe they didn't do any market research that would show that they would take a bigger hit by wrecking the product than by jacking the price. Their target demographic is loyal longtime users and the families of longtime users who can't think of anything else to get the guy who like Old Spice for Christmas. Their new customers are either the sons of longtime users or they are guys introduced to Old Spice when their prepubescent daughters give it to them for Christmas because they can't think of anything else to get for Daddy and this Old Spice stuff smells nice.

I'm kinda shocked by the Flio America knockoff copycat. I'd never seen that before and assumed that all bottles like that were Vi-jon. I guess everyone should stick to Family Dollar and CVS when purchasing their knockoffs.

I'm kinda shocked by the Flio America knockoff copycat. I'd never seen that before and assumed that all bottles like that were Vi-jon. I guess everyone should stick to Family Dollar and CVS when purchasing their knockoffs.
Beware the Filo! The batch I encountered was pretty rough n tumble (bad).

attachment.php

Old Spice was an inexpensive aftershave. If P&G thought they weren't realising enough profit and saw that their options were either to raise the price 3 or 4 dollars or to destroy the recipe to use cheaper ingredients I can't believe they didn't do any market research that would show that they would take a bigger hit by wrecking the product than by jacking the price. Their target demographic is loyal longtime users and the families of longtime users who can't think of anything else to get the guy who like Old Spice for Christmas. Their new customers are either the sons of longtime users or they are guys introduced to Old Spice when their prepubescent daughters give it to them for Christmas because they can't think of anything else to get for Daddy and this Old Spice stuff smells nice.

Many of the great classic men's colognes from the 1980's and 1990's were purchased by EA Fragrances (Eve Arden Fragrances) and most aren't nearly as strong nor as complex as the original scents. They sell for quite a bit less than when first introduced, but many of the top, middle and bass notes of the fragrances aren't the same.

Many of the great classic men's colognes from the 1980's and 1990's were purchased by EA Fragrances (Eve Arden Fragrances) and most aren't nearly as strong nor as complex as the original scents. They sell for quite a bit less than when first introduced, but many of the top, middle and bass notes of the fragrances aren't the same.
Amen to that. I used kanon AS and cologne from the early 70s through the 80s. It was great stuff. Bought a $6 bottle of the EDT that is produced in West Palm Beach a couple years ago and was disgusted. The worst part for me is that I can smell that they are trying to fake the old Scannon kanon but they're missing the mark.

this arrived this morning with a few others but I thought it should go onto here seeing this is old spice
$20160304_114602.jpg$20160304_114546.jpg

the one to the right is a new product bought 4 months ago from Tesco where the one to the left is an old old one hehe

Last edited:
$IMG_1370 (Copy).JPG
I finished off this bottle of mid 90s Old Spice cologne today. I rarely used it during my cartridge and electric shaving days so it was moved around with my wife and I since at least 1994. I refilled the bottle in 2014 - it was around half empty then - with a newer Old Spice aftershave purchased at Kroger. I don't recall how different it smelled way back then. I will be decanting some Avon Spicy into the bottle soon.

View attachment 643136
I finished off this bottle of mid 90s Old Spice cologne today. I rarely used it during my cartridge and electric shaving days so it was moved around with my wife and I since at least 1994. I refilled the bottle in 2014 - it was around half empty then - with a newer Old Spice aftershave purchased at Kroger. I don't recall how different it smelled way back then. I will be decanting some Avon Spicy into the bottle soon.

Avon Spicy, now that is an excellent AS! One whiff of the Spicy takes me back...way back.

I have discovered that ViJon Spice and current Old Spice mixed together is a VERY pleasing combination and very close to the original stuff. It's like ViJon gets part of the formula right and Proctor and Gamble gets part of it right so when mixed together you have a very good aftershave.

I have discovered that ViJon Spice and current Old Spice mixed together is a VERY pleasing combination and very close to the original stuff. It's like ViJon gets part of the formula right and Proctor and Gamble gets part of it right so when mixed together you have a very good aftershave.

The only problem is that the scent of P&G Classic lasts maybe 30 minutes (my bottle anyway) and Vijon has even less fragrance oil, so when you mix them together in a 50/50 ratio, while the smell is stronger and more reminiscent of the Origingal OS aftershave, it's going to last for about 20 minutes. I think mixing the Classic AS with the Classic Cologne is a better option, or better yet, just get the OS Classic Cologne or the EdT.

this arrived this morning with a few others but I thought it should go onto here seeing this is old spice
View attachment 642181

the one to the right is a new product bought 4 months ago from Tesco where the one to the left is an old old one hehe

Does Tesco have the EdT that's made in the UK?

proxy.php

The Classic goes strong for about 6 hours on me, Indian Original about 8 hours.

The Classic Cologne or the Classic Aftershave? If it's the aftershave, you must have gotten a special batch.

There's a very good article about the Rubicon formulation of Original Old Spice from India on this blog. Check out my comment and then read the author's reply about the length of the scent:

http://frompyrgos.blogspot.com/2016...showComment=1456622615011#c357243859712961875

The Classic Cologne or the Classic Aftershave? If it's the aftershave, you must have gotten a special batch.

There's a very good article about the Rubicon formulation of Original Old Spice from India on this blog. Check out my comment and then read the author's reply about the length of the scent:

http://frompyrgos.blogspot.com/2016...showComment=1456622615011#c357243859712961875
The aftershave. I can only speak for my own skin and experience--Indian formulation easily goes all day on me. See my post about what I just picked up in India: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/484568-So-I-m-in-Hyderabad-India-at-a-conference

By the way, I absolutely disagree with the poster you link to. The Indian formulation has incredible depth and complexity, and I pick up all the notes, such as carnation, that you would expect. I like the Classic, but it is incredibly linear in comparison. I had the Classic on yesterday. I put it on at 6:30 and met up with my wife for lunch at 11:45 and got her opinion. She said she easily smells it from five feet. Did the same thing with the Original. At 4:30 p.m. after another 6:30 a.m. application, wife said she easily detects it from five feet away, and to her, the Original has "more of a spicy, flowery quality." Exactly.

Top Bottom