What's new

Will the real "Old Spice" please stand up

I need to get a hold of the Indian version, to see how it smells.

Thanks for conducting the experiment. I think you'll like the Indian version, I sure do. I ordered mine from WCS because I didn't want to take a chance on shipping from India and wait for weeks just to save a few bucks. The eBay deals from India might be worth it if you're ordered a boat load of it.

5 hours went by, and the OS started to fade, but still a different, and better smell.
7 hours gone by, and both are starting to fade, but the OS is still a little stronger and better.
10 hours and both faded to very little scent left.

I can't believe the Family Dollar stuff lasts that long for you. Doesn't even last an hour for me.

My theory is that when the aftershave is on your face, and you constantly smell it, you nose gets desensitized to the scent. You might not smell it, but others can.

I agree with that But I judge longevity by rubbing my hand against my cheek, and smelling my hand. If there is still scent left on my face, I can always smell it when I do that.

But wouldn't you sense of smell be compromised by constantly being exposed to the scent, on the face? Put some on your arm, like I did, then see how long the scent lasts. Or, just get your wife to smell you neck and face, to see if the scent is lingering.

I put the Family Dollar on my arm and could barely smell it after an hour, but then again I have alot of allergies. Allergies however, never stopped me from smelling Grey Flannel, Catalyst, Armani for Men, and Paul Sebastian many hours after application, but those were colognes.

This is one of the BEST B+B THREADS EVER!!! Read start to finish.

I have been using OS off and on since I started shaving in the late 1960s. I was wondering about the my nose as the recent OS I bought at the drugstore was not what I remembered. YOU GUYS rock. My recollection is correct. My nose works just fine!!

Should I buy some of the India Old Spice, or would it be a waste of money??

I was actually more impressed with the imported 50 ml bottle of Old Spice Musk from India that Walmart sent me for free. The Original Old Spice from India is still superior to the US version in my opinion. I don't understand why P&G won't import these scents. Maybe they're afraid of the New Coke vs. Old Coke fiasco of years ago, but it did get the Coca Cola company some amazing publicity.

I was put to the great smelling challenge this week after some flea market treasure hunting and finding two vintage Old Spice bottles. I can honestly say the new OS is different. Vintage old spice is everything I remember old spice is. The new is not. FD reminded me more of vintage avon spicy than old spice. But that's just my nose's two scents worth.

I was put to the great smelling challenge this week after some flea market treasure hunting and finding two vintage Old Spice bottles. I can honestly say the new OS is different. Vintage old spice is everything I remember old spice is. The new is not. FD reminded me more of vintage avon spicy than old spice. But that's just my nose's two scents worth.

I'm glad you found some. Goood stuff.

I immediately found, upon comparing the P&G version, Indian version and vintage Shulton is that, even though the P&G is ok, the Indian and Shulton smell identical. One whiff of the Indian OS transported me back to my childhood and watching my dad shave whilst singing 'Everybody Loves Somebody'.....

Shulton had some great ideas in marketing which lasted through the beginning of P&G's takeover. Take a look at this site which has great photos of Old Spice collectibles. Check the travel sets, too:

http://www.oldspicecollectibles.com/Bottles/novelty bottles.html

A few days ago I was browsing in a local store and saw an Old Spice Father's Day gift set that P&G put together which included the Classic aftershave stuff, a bottle of body wash and a deodorant, which I quickly passed up without a second thought (I actually like the Old Spice body wash).

Now if P&G had any imagination, this is what I would have called a nice limited edition holiday or Father's Day gift set. Throw in the Original Old Spice from India along the with musk and the lime, and an announcement on the leading shaving forums could have resulting in selling the entire inventory with just online orders on the P&G website! The inserted small photos are OS Fresh Scent and what looks like the atomizer version of OS Lagoon.

View attachment 581104

Attachments

• $oldspice_variety.jpg
    $oldspice_variety.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Top Bottom