What's new

Will the real "Old Spice" please stand up

proxy.php

OK I found it at the Family Dollar store for $2. Let's see how it stacks up to the modern Old Spice of today. As I said in another post I had bought a bottle of Old Spice original at Walmart and didnt like it at all. Tips here on B&B said to try this. So here I'll let you know how it compares.

I'll use it in the morning after my shave. Today I used Aqua Velva so dont want to mix the two. Sniffing the bottle it's definitely very close to the Old Spice I remember in the 60's-80's.

This morning by chance I was at the local Shoprite and strolled down the personal care aisle. I saw the Shoprite brand of Spice aftershave, picked it up, turned it upside down and saw the ViJon stamp on the bottle. It's the exact same bottle in the pic above but it has the Shoprite label. The price: $1.99 plus tax. Of course I purchased it. Couldn't pass it up for that price. Will try it later. Out of the bottle it has a strong scent. I like it.

This morning by chance I was at the local Shoprite and strolled down the personal care aisle. I saw the Shoprite brand of Spice aftershave, picked it up, turned it upside down and saw the ViJon stamp on the bottle. It's the exact same bottle in the pic above but it has the Shoprite label. The price: $1.99 plus tax. Of course I purchased it. Couldn't pass it up for that price. Will try it later. Out of the bottle it has a strong scent. I like it.

The ViJon stuff is fantastic. Mix 50/50 with the current P&G offering and you'll be pleasantly surprised too :thumbup1:

Tonight I shaved and used the ViJon OS. To my nose there are very, very subtle differences when compared to P&G OS. So subtle that the differences are negligible, IMO. I will say this: I will never spend $7 on P&G OS again. What's the point if you can purchase the ViJon for $2?

Very interesting thread, I enjoyed reading the headspace-gas chromatography results that opened the thread. As a second generation Chosen to wear the Veg, I don't believe I have any memories of Old Spice, but I am waiting on delivery of a vintage bottle of Shulton Old Spice after shave to go with my Old Spice shave mug and soap, so that'll be interesting.

If and when I ever use up the bottle, I suppose I could try the ViJon version, though the bottle reminds me too much of BBQ sauce, but I guess that's why it's so cheap.

Tonight I shaved and used the ViJon OS. To my nose there are very, very subtle differences when compared to P&G OS. So subtle that the differences are negligible, IMO. I will say this: I will never spend $7 on P&G OS again. What's the point if you can purchase the ViJon for $2?

Exactly! It's close enough that it's not worth paying WAY more for vintage OS on the bay for example. And it's definitely closer to the "original" OS of yesteryear (I barely recognize the new brand name OS as being OS at all). I just decant it into my 1980's vintage OS bottle and it works great.

According to various posters, the Vijon OS scent wears off very quickly and that's the reason some mix the US P&G version with it. What I don't understand is why more US retailers can't import the Indian version and why P&G just doesn't release both the "Original" and "Classic" versions in the US and see which one sells more. After all, they distribute both.

If enough shaving enthusiasts would email P&G (I already have) and ask them why they can't distribute the original formula in the US, perhaps they would listen. When emailing, avoid the usual customer service through the website and look for email addresses of their VP's and other top level execs, and cc: everyone. I try to find the merchandising VP's when I email.

Is there any way to have a sort of Groupon order discount for members of this forum who would like to order the Original version of Old Spice from India and have each bottle drop shipped from the vendor to each member who orders?

I tried to order from Amazon.in, but they can't ship the bottles to the US. The 150 ml aftershave atomizer bottle was very reasonably priced at 216 rupees which (as of this writing) converts to $3.38. At those prices, I'd order a few bottles and throw in a few of the Old Spice Musk, too plus a few tubes of Old Spice Shaving cream! :biggrin1:

Here's the link to the atomizer: www.amazon.in/Old-Spice-After-Shave-Lotion/dp/B00G4UEDVW/
and to all the products: http://www.amazon.in/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...er+shave&sprefix=old+spice+aftershave,aps,NaN

Note that all products are sold by a 3rd party reseller and fulfilled by Amazon India.

All the retailers listed in the "buy now" menu of the official Old Spice India website also don't ship to the US: http://www.oldspice.in/en-IN/home-page.aspx

Last edited:
There are a few Indian vendors selling on eBay too and from what I've read on B&B everyone eventually gets their order, you just have to be patient.

According to various posters, the Vijon OS scent wears off very quickly and that's the reason some mix the US P&G version with it. What I don't understand is why more US retailers can't import the Indian version and why P&G just doesn't release both the "Original" and "Classic" versions in the US and see which one sells more. After all, they distribute both.

If enough shaving enthusiasts would email P&G (I already have) and ask them why they can't distribute the original formula in the US, perhaps they would listen. When emailing, avoid the usual customer service through the website and look for email addresses of their VP's and other top level execs, and cc: everyone. I try to find the merchandising VP's when I email.

Is there any way to have a sort of Groupon order discount for members of this forum who would like to order the Original version of Old Spice from India and have each bottle drop shipped from the vendor to each member who orders?

I tried to order from Amazon.in, but they can't ship the bottles to the US. The 150 ml aftershave atomizer bottle was very reasonably priced at 216 rupees which (as of this writing) converts to $3.38. At those prices, I'd order a few bottles and throw in a few of the Old Spice Musk, too plus a few tubes of Old Spice Shaving cream! :biggrin1:

Here's the link to the atomizer: www.amazon.in/Old-Spice-After-Shave-Lotion/dp/B00G4UEDVW/
and to all the products: http://www.amazon.in/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...er+shave&sprefix=old+spice+aftershave,aps,NaN

Note that all products are sold by a 3rd party reseller and fulfilled by Amazon India.

All the retailers listed in the "buy now" menu of the official Old Spice India website also don't ship to the US: http://www.oldspice.in/en-IN/home-page.aspx

I agree, write in and shout for the original blend, not this impostor we have today in the US market.

I have not posted on this thread before, and just recently posted on the Aftershave forum. I find this an interesting topic.
I just recently opened a full bottle of Old Spice, circa 1956. I bought it, about 6 months ago, and just got around to trying it, because of the PIF another member has going. He was giving away vintage Old Spice. So, I decided to try mine. It smelled great. I do remember smelling the New Old Spice, in stores and thought it disgusting. I read this thread, and realized I had several Family Dollars in the area I work. So, I picked up some of their Old Spice knockoff.

I took some of the 1956 Old Spice and dabbed some on open arm. Then too the knockoff and grabbed some on the other.
The first several minutes showed a difference in smells. The Vintage smelled deeper, richer, with more complex, and woody notes. The knockoff was a lighter version of the Vintage.
40 minutes have passed now, and I can honestly say, that I can hardly tell the difference between the two, so negligible, that it doesn't matter. They started to smell similar, around 5 minute after the applications.

Conclusion: if you only care what your Old Spice smells like in the first 10 minutes, start hunting down vintage bottle with it contents inside. If you can wait 5-10 minutes, the Family Dollar knockoff smells the same, at $2.36.
I hope this helps some here.

Update. After three hours, of testing the 1956 Old Spice vs Family Dollar Knockoff, I have to say that there isn't a difference in smell.

Update. After three hours, of testing the 1956 Old Spice vs Family Dollar Knockoff, I have to say that there isn't a difference in smell.

Members here have written that the Vijon discount store scent doesn't last very long, so some pour the entire contents of the knockoff into a glass bottle and add about two ounces of P&G's "Classic" swill so that the smell lasts a little longer.

Last edited:
I know the knockoff one isn't as strong, at first, but it's scent lasted as long, only 3 hrs. I worked out and had to shower. I guess I could do an all day test, if anyone is interested.

I just picked up 3 bottles of Spice Aftershave for $2.19 each at the Family Dollar store and applied it. If it lasts 3 hours, that's pretty good. I applied some Clubman VIBR just before I left and the VIBR scent seemed to dissipate completely within the hour. I'm not sure if that's because the temperature was near 90° when I was walking around or not, but I was surprised I couldn't smell it so soon after application.

Why 3 bottles of the Vijon brand from Family Dollar? One is for mixing with 2 oz. of the P&G "Classic but not quite the old" Old Spice, another is for mixing the Bootlegger's Bay Rum if I can ever find Superior 70 and Master's, and the other is for actual solo use.

Update:

I don't know if I have super absorbent skin or my olfactory sense is going, but I could no longer smell the Family Dollar Spice Aftershave scent after about an hour.

Last edited:
Some after shaves last all day (8+ hours) and some last only until lunch hour. It is what it is.

But Dalton's analysis that after a few minutes Vijon smells like the 1956 version (Shulton) says alot. And for me, the difference between Vijon & P&G is negligible. So I'm just going to wear it w/o worrying about it. It doesn't matter to me anyway.

I just picked up 3 bottles of Spice Aftershave for $2.19 each at the Family Dollar store and applied it. If it lasts 3 hours, that's pretty good. I applied some Clubman VIBR just before I left and the VIBR scent seemed to dissipate completely within the hour. I'm not sure if that's because the temperature was near 90° when I was walking around or not, but I was surprised I couldn't smell it so soon after application.

Why 3 bottles of the Vijon brand from Family Dollar? One is for mixing with 2 oz. of the P&G "Classic but not quite the old" Old Spice, another is for mixing the Bootlegger's Bay Rum if I can ever find Superior 70 and Master's, and the other is for actual solo use.

Update:

I don't know if I have super absorbent skin or my olfactory sense is going, but I could no longer smell the Family Dollar Spice Aftershave scent after about an hour.

I guess my big nose helps. I will try to remember to do a long term test comparison tomorrow. I

Some after shaves last all day (8+ hours) and some last only until lunch hour. It is what it is.

I have a 95% full version of Ralph Lauren's Safari aftershave from the 1990's which I bought in a gift set (cologne & afterhave with a gym bag) at Macy's. Some are selling that aftershave for quite a bit on Ebay. The aftershave lasts quite a few hours and has a nice little burn to it.

I guess my big nose helps. I will try to remember to do a long term test comparison tomorrow. I

My schnoz isn't that small, either! I received a free glass bottle of the 50ml Old Spice Original along with the Musk yesterday (long story - will create a new thread today. Btw, the OS Musk is terrific!), and put a drop of the original OS and Vijon's brand on two separate paper towels. Initially, the difference was negligible with perhaps a bit more of a lime smell to the Vijon. Three hours later, the Old Spice still had a pleasant, powdery scent although not as strong, while the Vijon was barely detectable and had a sort of stale odor. The stale odor could have been the result of mixing with the paper towel, though.

Last edited:
Experiment in progress.
Applied an amount of 1956 Old Spice, on the left forearm, and the Family Dollar on the right. I use about the same as I would on my face.
As before, the OS had a deeper complex smell to it, and the knockoff was lighter smelling. Very similar, but not the same. The knockoff wasn't as musky, or as rich of a smell.
5 hours went by, and the OS started to fade, but still a different, and better smell.
7 hours gone by, and both are starting to fade, but the OS is still a little stronger and better.
10 hours and both faded to very little scent left.
So, conclusion: Find a vintage bottle with OS inside. It rocks. The knockoff is good, but a little different.
I need to get a hold of the Indian version, to see how it smells.

Last edited:
Top Bottom