What's new

Will the real "Old Spice" please stand up

Just received my first bottle of India OS from WCS last week. Upon closer examination, the label states that while it IS made in India, it is not manufactured by Shulton, but something called Rubicon Formulations, and marketed by P&G. Also not too jazzed that they're using pthalates as an alcohol denaturant.

Just received my first bottle of India OS from WCS last week. Upon closer examination, the label states that while it IS made in India, it is not manufactured by Shulton, but something called Rubicon Formulations, and marketed by P&G. Also not too jazzed that they're using pthalates as an alcohol denaturant.

What are phthalates? Thanks in advance.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
What are phthalates? Thanks in advance.

Some phthalates are used as solvents (dissolving agents) for other materials. They are used in hundreds of products, such as vinyl flooring, adhesives, detergents, lubricating oils, automotive plastics, plastic clothes (raincoats), and personal-care products (soaps, shampoos, hair sprays, and nail polishes).

Often used as a viscosity agent.

In the Fourth National Report on Human Exposure to Environmental Chemicals (Fourth Report), CDC scientists measured 13 phthalate metabolites in the urine of 2,636 or more participants aged six years and older who took part in the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) during 2003–2004. For several phthalate metabolites, results from the prior survey periods of 1999–2000 and 2001–2002 are also included in the Fourth Report. By measuring phthalate metabolites in urine, scientists can estimate the amount of phthalates that have entered people's bodies.

Finding a detectable amount of phthalate metabolites in urine does not imply that the levels of one or more will cause an adverse health effect.

http://www.cdc.gov/biomonitoring/phthalates_factsheet.html

Some groups have jumped on the phthalate bandwagon, much as was done with parabens.
Some groups have a vested interest in that they sponsor or sell directly "natural" alternatives, and others may be considered of the "chicken little" (just in case) variety as no direct link has been shown between adverse health effects and the use of substances containing phthalates.

Your own personal preferences aside, (use what you want, don't use what you don't wish to use) there is no scientific evidence that pthalates cause health issues.

Last edited:
Thanks for the deeper info. I had assumed that phthalate compounds were prima facie toxic. I'm not of the school that jumps on health scares or the propaganda and incomplete information espoused by natural product marketing.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Thanks for the deeper info. I had assumed that phthalate compounds were prima facie toxic. I'm not of the school that jumps on health scares or the propaganda and incomplete information espoused by natural product marketing.

Thanks. There's more than enough of those guys out there. I don't think they have bad intent, quite the opposite. I think they think they are doing a service by warning others. Just seems as if there are more and more sites catering to the fearful these days.

Tell me about it!! I was quite dismayed to discover that DAX removing shampoo (I am a user of petrolatum based pomades) cannot be shipped to California because cocamide DEA is a banned ingredient.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Tell me about it!! I was quite dismayed to discover that DAX removing shampoo (I am a user of petrolatum based pomades) cannot be shipped to California because cocamide DEA is a banned ingredient.

Yeah, California has really jumped on the panic bandwagon.

Phil

Thanks for the CDC link. I do want to point out another passage from the article:

"How Phthalates Affect People's Health
Human health effects from exposure to low levels of phthalates are unknown. Some types of phthalates have affected the reproductive system of laboratory animals. More research is needed to assess the human health effects of exposure to phthalates."

As you very reasonably stated, YMMV when it comes to such things. I'm of the school of thought that while I don't freak out over every possible toxic substance to the point of locking myself in my house, I do figure that if the effects of a given substance are unknown, but there is evidence of ill effects in animal studies, and the substance is absorbed by exposure to the point of appreciable detectability in urine, I'll avoid the substance to the extent that it is practical to do so. In other words, I live my life and accept reasonable risk but don't seek out unnecessary risk.

Just another opinion.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Phil

Thanks for the CDC link. I do want to point out another passage from the article:

"How Phthalates Affect People's Health
Human health effects from exposure to low levels of phthalates are unknown. Some types of phthalates have affected the reproductive system of laboratory animals. More research is needed to assess the human health effects of exposure to phthalates."

As you very reasonably stated, YMMV when it comes to such things. I'm of the school of thought that while I don't freak out over every possible toxic substance to the point of locking myself in my house, I do figure that if the effects of a given substance are unknown, but there is evidence of ill effects in animal studies, and the substance is absorbed by exposure to the point of appreciable detectability in urine, I'll avoid the substance to the extent that it is practical to do so. In other words, I live my life and accept reasonable risk but don't seek out unnecessary risk.

Just another opinion.

I appreciate your point and understand.
For me, the animal studies where they typically apply massive doses over a short period of time are less indicative of how the same compound would react in "normal" doses over a lifetime in a totally different species.
If you inject 3 ounces of mashed potatoes a day into a 13 ounce rat, I'm not surprised that there would be adverse affects. This is clearly over simplification, but you get my point.
For me, life is too short to worry about maybe's and could be's. If there is evidence that a substance is harmful to humans, I'll avoid it.

I finally received my shipment of Indian Old Spice Original. The first shipment was lost, but the guy on eBay remedied it without issue, including giving me free tracking and a rush on the replacement order.

Amazing! It's exactly as I remember it when I was young. Used it today along with the Old Spice Original shave cream from India, and my girlfriend told me that the hall and lavatory smelled wonderful!

How did you smell?
I smelled with my nose. ;-)

Amazing is how I smelled. I kept going in to the bathroom and opening the bottle, reliving fond memories of my father using it when I was young. My girlfriend even commented that the Indian version has more of a spicy scent to it than the Classic version being sold here in the States. If you want the real deal, then the one from India is the one to go with. And if you get the chance, pick up a tube or two of the Old Spice Original shave cream. It lathers up like a dream, and the scent is out of this world! Even my girlfriend's youngest daughter commented on how wonderful it smells. :)

I'm totally satisfied with the bottle, and shave cream, I ordered from WCS. When I need to replenish my supply I might give one of the eBay vendors in India a shot.

I'm totally satisfied with the bottle, and shave cream, I ordered from WCS. When I need to replenish my supply I might give one of the eBay vendors in India a shot.

I completely understand. I actually placed an order yesterday on eBay for 6 tubes of Old Spice Original shave cream that are 70 grams each for $24.99 with free shipping. It takes a while to get here, but I'm patient. I've only used my current tube twice, but it's 30 grams. I just wanted an idea of what it was like before committing to a larger purchase.

If anyone would like know which vendor I used, feel free to PM me. I'm always happy to help out members here. :)

Last edited:
I finally received my shipment of Indian Old Spice Original. The first shipment was lost, but the guy on eBay remedied it without issue, including giving me free tracking and a rush on the replacement order.

Amazing! It's exactly as I remember it when I was young. Used it today along with the Old Spice Original shave cream from India, and my girlfriend told me that the hall and lavatory smelled wonderful!
The original Shulton brand in India has been taken over by P&G in India too. Does your cream state Shulton made in Ponda, Goa or P&G?

Here is what mine says on the tube:

$Old_Spice 002.jpg

Top Bottom