What's new

Nikon D800, D800E, and D4 at Camera & Photography Plus in Yokohama

A couple of weekends ago I had the incredible opportunity to visit one of the industries major trade shows, CP+, in Yokohama, Japan.

As a Navy media person, it even counts as job related!

One of our main goals for going was to play with Nikon's 3 new cameras, the D4, D800, and D800E. I got a chance (after a 90 minute wait) to play with all three, and I just have one thing to say....

If you're planning on buying a flagship-line camera in the next year, buy the D800. This camera will do everything and does an amazing job at it too. As I see more previews and reviews come out I'm even more sure of my hands-on impression. Especially nice is the way the D800 now handles video. (MUCH better than prior Nikon VDSLRs)

If anyone has any specific questions I'd be happy to offers some hands-on opinion of it, and I've also got english & japanese copies of the product brochures if anyone would like a scan.

Anyone planning on purchasing one of these? What are you thinking of using it for?

I recently had the opportunity to play with a prototype D4 and was quite impressed. There were a couple of things which disturbed me about the camera (including the new Memory Card System), but to me it is a much better fit than the D800. Luckily, I am still very happy with my D700- I can't imagine wanting to carry a tripod everywhere and updating my glass collection in order to be able to resolve well enough to justify that D800 update.

Regarding the video, Does it do 1080 24p? Is the Audio adjustable? Can it be used FULLY manually? How does it compare to the 5dmk2 or 7d on video? I have been a Nikon fan for YEARS but it has seemed to me that they were actively ignoring the video "needs" in the last few years. It would be very nice to be able to put my nikkor lenses to use on a nikon body.

Legion

Staff member
Regarding the video, Does it do 1080 24p? Is the Audio adjustable? Can it be used FULLY manually? How does it compare to the 5dmk2 or 7d on video? I have been a Nikon fan for YEARS but it has seemed to me that they were actively ignoring the video "needs" in the last few years. It would be very nice to be able to put my nikkor lenses to use on a nikon body.

From what I've read, yes to all those questions.

This video was shot with one. It's ability to catch such a wide gamut and scene luminance range is quite impressive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes, 1080p 24p. Yes, adjustable audio in camera. Yes, FULLY manual, during recording. (Aperature, Shutter, ISO, and White balance all adjustable on the fly during my test. I'm sure everything else is but I didn't think to test anything else.)

I think it blows the Mk2 and the 7D out of the water for video.

I wouldn't say they ignored the video users, but, they certainly were having trouble developing it. Luckily, this is what they needed-- a 5d MK3 killer. Not just MK2

Top Bottom