What's new

Big Mama or Big Daddy

Question for those that have used them and especially to those that have used both. Which one would you buy Big Mama (2.5") or the Big Daddy (3") ? If you could give your reasons why as well I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Just in case, I'm refering to the strops from starshaving.

Big Daddy. The 3" strop isn't so large that it takes up half the bathroom, but it large enough that most razors fit without having to use the x stroke. Overall, the quality IMHO of the Star Shaving strop is very nice, so I guess whichever you choose will be a good decision.

I bought the Big Daddy. He's correct. I can lay the entire blade across and not use x-strokes. Even a fool could strop on this thing. I figure it saves a few passes too, because all the blade is in contact, all the time.

I'm still a noob though....

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I bought the Big Daddy. He's correct. I can lay the entire blade across and not use x-strokes. Even a fool could strop on this thing. I figure it saves a few passes too, because all the blade is in contact, all the time.

I'm still a noob though....

Regardless of how wide your strop is, I would encourage you to learn to strop with at least a little x-stroke in there. It will ensure all of the blade is stropped, and will help when you encounter a warped blade or a cupped strop.:smile:

I'm a fan of 3" strops. I don't nick them as bad as the 2.5" ones I have. Agreed on the little X-stroke for the 3, but I find it is easier to control than on the 2.5.

This will be my second strop. I have finished nicking my poor man's strop and would like to get one that is a little longer and wider. I've heard good things about the starshaving strops. My concern, I guess, is cupping on the 3". Some here have said they don't have a problem with cupping on their Big Daddys. Just double checking that and whether it's worth it to spend a bit more on a 3".

I have other purchases lined up on my wish-list but this is first. Just trying to limit the chances of regret.

I appreciate all the advice gentlemen.

Last edited:
I have only heard good things about their 3 inch strop. Most likely that'll be my next strop when I buy one in the next few weeks.

Just pulled the trigger on the "Big Daddy" in chestnut. Thanks for the help fellas.

@noah: When it comes I'll give my thoughts on it in my journal. Maybe it will help you make your decision.

i have a big daddy......... it is top notch... and starshavings customer service is top notch also...... they ship fast and they take care of problems fast....

I have only the "big mamma," and I really enjoy it. Wider is probably better though! Like 8/8+ razors, bigger seems to be better!

-Matt-

I bought a TM OldTimer 2.5 inch. And I am noob. I bought a 2.5" based on seeing TM himself say he preferred it. I am up to speed and I think past the opps I ruined it phase. The thing I see that is different between the TM and most others is how the leather attaches at each end. With Tony's strops the strop part of the leather does not loop through the rings. The engineer in me says this is a superior design. YMMV.

i have a big daddy......... it is top notch... and starshavings customer service is top notch also...... they ship fast and they take care of problems fast....

Good to know. I've been wanting ot add one of these to the arsenal, but how many strops does one person need?

Good to know. I've been wanting ot add one of these to the arsenal, but how many strops does one person need?

dunno... i actually have 2 big daddys... a latigo made by trick420... *(i did have another travel strop from star shaving but i PIF'd it to a newbie) and a canvas with diamond paste and spray.. 4 or 5 seatbelts with crox/ceox/alox/diamonds/or a mixture of them all...... then i have ~3 or 4 travel strops i have made.. and i have some more latigo over there in that cardboard box.....

you only NEED 1.... but it sure is nice to have a choice....

Regardless of how wide your strop is, I would encourage you to learn to strop with at least a little x-stroke in there. It will ensure all of the blade is stropped, and will help when you encounter a warped blade or a cupped strop.:smile:

I agree with Kentos. I started out on a 3" strop and my only other one is 3". They're great but since I never really needed to learn an x-stroke I'll be in a bad place if I ever get into a position where I need to use a smaller strop.

I think my poor man's strop is 2" wide. So I have had to learn to x-stroke. I am sure I still will (good advice as always Kentos). Now just the wait......and the saving up for the next purchase !

+1 for the big daddy. That's what my wife n kids call me, and what I had engraved on the scales for one of my Gold Monkey razors.. I'll post the whole kit and kaboodle in the newbie forum, I guess here in a bit. Star shaving has provided 2 of my brushes and my strop, and has been great with service!

Top Bottom