What's new

8/8 blade

I'm not a fan of blades over 6/8. I tried a couple of bigger blades and don't see any advantage at all.

I agree - they look cool. I understand that larger blades "feel" sharper for a longer time as well... I wouldn't know. I am loving 4/8's these days. But yeah they look cool and they can double as a meat cleaver to boot lol!

Yup... I love my big blades.
Got a Dovo 6/8, Seraphim Gold Dollar that is at least 6/8, maybe a bit bigger, and my favorite is my Wacker 15/16.

Hey - welcome to B&B! Good to have you here. Not many 3 posters who state I got a 8/8 that i just honed lol, so I didn't notice.

There is no advantage to an 8/8 per se.

Some guys like the weight and feel of a heftier blade. All things being equal, an 8/8 is heavier than a 5/8 or 6/8.

Smaller blades tend to be a little more nimble.

All things being equal, larger blades from certain vintage makers tend to be more desirable and cost significantly more than smaller sizes from the same maker

There is no advantage to an 8/8 per se.

Some guys like the weight and feel of a heftier blade. All things being equal, an 8/8 is heavier than a 5/8 or 6/8.

Smaller blades tend to be a little more nimble.

All things being equal, larger blades from certain vintage makers tend to be more desirable and cost significantly more than smaller sizes from the same maker

That's no joke!

i am fascinated by the larger blades.... all that i make/made are at least 8/8ths or larger ... including a 12/8ths chopper...

the smallest razor i use is my 11/16ths wolsty pipe razor...

well... thats not quite true i also have/use a KAI/feather type kamisori that i use with feather blades..... wicked sharp but only ~5/8ths.....

I love the 8/8 and thats mostly what I have anymore. They don't slow down for much and lather buildup on the blade is never a problem. I just like the added weight but then again I like big cars and trucks too.

I can't wait to get my 8/8 W&B back so I can use it for the first time. 6/8's is the biggest I have used to date. I am also honing my 8/8 Emeraude right now so I can't state an opinion on the size; but I look forward to trying them.

I have a hard(er) time with anything under 6/8, but I've found my sweet spot is 6/8-8/8 +/- a hair on both sides.

Me too. I used to love my 5/8ths but once I got into the larger blades it just seems to work for me much better and I get better shaves.

i am fascinated by the larger blades.... all that i make/made are at least 8/8ths or larger ... including a 12/8ths chopper...

the smallest razor i use is my 11/16ths wolsty pipe razor...

well... thats not quite true i also have/use a KAI/feather type kamisori that i use with feather blades..... wicked sharp but only ~5/8ths.....

Do you put any of these in the hobbyist forum?

Top Bottom