What's new

Keychain LED Flashlight

The things that I really like about the Photon Micro Lights, and what made me decide to stick with them, are the one-handed operation (pull it out of your pocket, give it a squeeze, and you have instantaneous light), and the small, but still useful size. I've got enough bulk in my pockets already, and although these little tubular style lights are pretty small, they're still a lot bulkier than the Photons.

Umm, 5 times the price and too big to fit on a keychain.

Yes it's costly but it's so much brighter, longer lasting, and directional and it fits fine on my keychain adding very little bulk... If you get to see one in person you'll see how useful it is

Yeah, I have always liked Photons (at least the models with actual switches). All of our electronics technicians at work use them. They are the smallest and lightest I have found while still being bright enough to do most work. I do really like the Energizer keychain light I just bought. It is slightly bigger and heavier than the Photon but nowhere near what the tubular models are. I wish there were some thing close to as light as a Photon and as small as possible that used an AAA battery though. Having to find just the right button cell to replace it is annoying.

I was happy with this cheapie from lowes

$2.59

Metal housing, bright enough for what I was using it for. I like the slide on/off switch. You need to disconnect the chain and attach directly to a ring. I lost mine when the chain broke.

I got the Photon X-Light Micro (cheap, $10.00) last year, and really feel like it was one of the best purchases of the year. I never carried a light before, but now I'll never be without a little light on my keychain. I hate carrying a bulky keychain, and this thing is barely noticeable. I think it has several bells and whistles, but I just use the basic on/off when needed. Seriously, you really can't appreciate one of these things until you say to yourself: "self, I wish I had a flashlight". It happens more often than you might think lol.

In that general price range and size there is nothing that beats a Photon - either the Freedom or the Microlight II. If you want a larger light the AAA options from Fenix are fine. If you want larger the CR2 and CR123 lights from Quark are OK choices although for me too large for a key ring. I carried an Arc AAA for a long time - but even that was larger than I liked and I carried a Photon II for ages (still have it and it is still on the original battery) that was trumped by a Liteflux LF2 for a long time - although the size again irritated me and I went back to a Photon II (the switch on the original one was getting dodgy but that was after 10 years of almost daily carry). The size, weight and reliability is pretty much in a league of their own.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
The things that I really like about the Photon Micro Lights, and what made me decide to stick with them, are the one-handed operation (pull it out of your pocket, give it a squeeze, and you have instantaneous light), and the small, but still useful size. I've got enough bulk in my pockets already, and although these little tubular style lights are pretty small, they're still a lot bulkier than the Photons.

I received a couple of these micro lights a couple of days ago. I am amazed at the amount of lite that one led can pump out. With its tiny size I don't even notice it on my key chain. I'm recommending these to friends and family.

The photon is a great little light imho. You don't really even feel it on the keychain. I've tried 2 other lights from Fenix. These both use AAA batteries. The 1st is the E05. I think it's a great little light for the size. Rated at 27 lumens with a 2hr 50 min runtime. I think it can be found for around $20. The other is the LD01. I currently have this on my set. It's got a max of 77 lumens and up to 27 h which is really good for 1 AAA battery. But I believe it's a little too long and heavy for my tastes.

I carry an E05. I don't actually have it on my keychain, just in my pocket but it's a great little light. My wife carries one as well in her purse.

Stage center- Japanese noodle shop in midtown Manhattan on a warm winter afternoon.

Jay- Did you guys get any new flashlights?

Scott and Jim frantically and enthusiastically dig out multiple flashlights

Jim shinning flashlight on shop wall "Oh look at this- its 320 lumens on one 123 battery"

Scott throwing his light up against the wall next to the first- "Crap that s the same flashlight I have- Why is yours brighter?"

Long conversation ensues about various merits of RCR123 VS primary123 batteries and the options of protected vs non protected batteries with varying testing of battery combinations and swapping of parts back and forth.

Japanese waitress approaches table with Bento boxes.
"Please play with your lights later, we are getting complaints from our customers".

Jay-
"You guys have it bad!"

Scott- "The black Cod is delicious!"

Jim- "More tea please"

Stage center- Japanese noodle shop in midtown Manhattan on a warm winter afternoon.

Jay- Did you guys get any new flashlights?

Scott and Jim frantically and enthusiastically dig out multiple flashlights

Jim shinning flashlight on shop wall "Oh look at this- its 320 lumens on one 123 battery"

Scott throwing his light up against the wall next to the first- "Crap that s the same flashlight I have- Why is yours brighter?"

Long conversation ensues about various merits of RCR123 VS primary123 batteries and the options of protected vs non protected batteries with varying testing of battery combinations and swapping of parts back and forth.

Japanese waitress approaches table with Bento boxes.
"Please play with your lights later, we are getting complaints from our customers".

Jay-
"You guys have it bad!"

Scott- "The black Cod is delicious!"

Jim- "More tea please"
:lol:

I have a Photon and they are handy. I also got a free APP for my Blackberry that turns the camera flash into a flashlight that is much brighter than the photon.

I keep a streamlight nano on my keyring, that thing is tiny! I think the wee flashlight is sadly overcompensated for by the massive JDR K&T pry-tool/bottle opener also on the keyring. I have a few of those photon mini's clipped onto a number of emergency car kits and backpacks, too. I like the nano for EDC, but find the photon to be nice, too.

On topic of little flashlights, the 4Sevens quark mini 123 is a sweet little pocket flashlight, but maybe a bit too bulky for my keyring. I've got a nice paracord lanyard on mine and just pocket carry it whenever I'm heading out somewhere dark. Probably the best flashlight I've ever owned.

I've had a photon on my keyring for years now. Very handy and so small I don't even notice that it's on my keyring. For what it is, that little bugger puts out a pretty good amount of light--I have even used it to preflight my aircraft when it's dark out on the ramp!

I went into my local Batteries Plus looking for a replacement battery for it, and the guy behind the counter gave me a choice: I could buy a new battery for about $3, or I could buy a new light (an exact copy, though not branded as "Photon" and not on a display card), complete with battery, for $1.00. I bought 10 of them, and gave them out to friends. Perhaps your local Batteries Plus might have the same light in stock, if you'd like to do the same.

Back in the day used to work for ASP and they marketed one of the first keychain LED lights to go alongside their tactical gear. They are handy little lights, I gave them to just about everybody I knew at the time.

I have had one of the little Photon micro lights for about six years now, still has the original battery so it's getting dim and needs replaceing.

I have this...

$b191_1.jpg

Never looked back at wanting a different tool in my pockets.

When I need a serious knife with me, I'll get my CRKT out.

But I use this multi-tool just about every day and the flashlight has been essential.

I should mention that I lost 2-3 of them throughout the years, so I went and got several spares, but I now only buy pants (jeans mostly) with the coin pocket, which this fits perfectly in.

PS. I have the same type of micro light, and it's pale in comparison to this one, plus it's detachable from the multi-tool if needed.

Similar easily found on ebay for a few dollars, but not sure if they all have the flashlight as being removable.

And I have to admit that I put mine on my sharpening stone wheel, and made it almost razor sharp.

Last edited:
I have just fallen into the flashlight world (candlepoweredforum) and ended up dropping 100 on a AA mini Titanium and a AA2 Quark, both from 4sevens.

I picked these because I got tired of having lights that constantly needed new batteries! AAs are probably the most readily available batteries, and the mini and quark both put out very very good light. The mini Ti is going to end up in my pocket and the AA2 is my "car light" that I keep in the car for roadside repairs (not my car, preventative maintenance - not reactive). From all the reviews, yes the mini is pricey at $35ish (before you go ti - thats $50ish) but the mini will last you at least 10 years (warranty from 4sevens) and the battery will be cheap.

I was going to go with the CR123 mini, but although the power output is higher the cell doesn't last as long as the AA. I rather have lower, more reliable light, and readily available power cells.

Top Bottom