What's new

Shaving Cream Vs Soap

Creams are better for newbies. Soaps give a better shave but creating a perfect lather is more difficult. My go to is MWF soap closely followed by TOBS Sandalwood cream.
You should search the forum though as different products work well for different people, YMMV etc.

No soaps are actually better for newbies.....that way they learn how to lather. Soaps are also better for the guys who like to play with lather :001_tt2:

Once you KNOW HOW to shave, creams are more convenient, especially for us face latherers.....we concentrate on the shave, not on making meringue:001_tt1:

Once you have the mix down I find them =. That said, my vote goes to creams for two reasons. 1. The whole face lather thing and 2. call me crazy, but i find the scents on creams stronger - and I like that.

Oh and what some think is a con - that creams don't last as long, I find a pro. Get to move onto the next one! Seriously, these things (both creams and soaps) last forever! Short of sharing or PIFFing...

After reading all posts in both my threads, I would have to conclude it must be personal choice. Albeit some different pro's for both: Ease of making lather, how long product lasts, strength of scent, etc. I guess I'm going to have to try a whole bunch of stuff before forming my own opinion. Heading to Boston's North End on Friday. Will have to make a sojourn to Colonial Drug and Leavitt and Peirce and pick some stuff up. Thanks for the input.

Creams are a little easier just starting out, and a number of popular products come only in soap or cream ( TOBS Avocado & MWF Soap for example. ) Personally I tend to like soft soaps best, just to confuse matters more ;> `

I use TOBS , Proaso, and Zirh Cream, but the other day i tried a nice RazorRock Lemon Cream and i was impressed how fast it lathered up and how slick it was on my face, Very Nice Razor Rock :eek:) and it was only $9.99 and im sure i can get over a year use from it shaving everyday, So far for me Both Soap and Cream Work Great, I just Feel The creams dont dry up as fast as soap does, either way you cant go wrong. :eek:)

There are a lot of creams that are downright awesome! Castle Forbes, for instance, uses natural fragrances and is a quality cream. The problem with soaps there are not that many that are stellar thus the problem with picking a soap that will compete with a cream. I am still using a Penn's old formulation and it is as good if not better than any cream that I have.

Take Care,
Richard

Last edited:
The main difference is that creams are water-dilluted soap that often comes packed with plenty of parabens to preserve the surfactans, emolients and the often rather poor quality fragrances added.

Au contraire, the main difference is that soaps are just creams with the water and the good stuff squeezed out. Thats why the fragrance is faint, they dry out faster, and make you waste your time playing with your brush and a bowl instead of shaving

Top Bottom