What's new

Explanation on how the Feather DE blade tricks you into believing its Scary Sharp.

To be honest I find the feather to be the most expensive.. And that's about it, all other things being equal I would take the feathers but ascot he market is I would buy Derbys, I get a week from them without an issue

To give my point of view...

As I started off with Derby's, they pulled from the first moment I had used my first DE razor EJ DE89LBL.
Before I finished my shave, I replaced it with a Feather... Because the derby gave me the same feeling as with Mach Turbo after 3 shaves... pulling and tugging!

I have a coarse sturdy beard and I love the sharpness of a Feather. As nowadays I often use a Roedter 1909 (the most agressive DE razor out there, which is way more agressive than the R41 from 2011).

But 1 main thing i've learned is that pressure on the razor is the key to succes without having weepers and cuts.
If I use a mild razor, which I can use with derbys, astras feathers.. whatever, cuz razor blades are sharp!!! I need more shaves to get it as close as I want to...

With the Roedter 1909 combined with the Feather, I only need 2 shaves for BBS. But the Feather is so sharp that it cuts the hairs with less effort than other less sharp blades.
I can also use Derbys in the Roedter 1909... but i tugs and pulls more... but still gives me nice shaves.. but as i dont like tugging and pulling I rather have Feathers.

But also.. using mild razors you are used to give more pressure to your razor.. especially when you are used to using less sharp blades than Feathers...

Pressure is the key to succes is the main thing i've learned!

I started with a Derby. It was worse than a cartridge. The I tried a Feather and I found it sharp, but slightly rough. Then I tried a GSB and found my excellence.

And then I tried I Feather in a AS-D2. Now I found DE nirvana...

Okay, I alternate between Derbys and Astras. I use them in a wide variety of razors. I always get good results. On the other hand the Feather blades just felt harsh and somehow rough, I would think a "sharp" blade would be smooth. Still have 3 left. So I guess one man's trash......

What a thread. I pulled a feather out me pillow and it wasn't sharp enough to shave with. The blades are fine though. I'll give the OP this...The hype around Feather blades on Forums is a bit nuts, be it DE or SE blades. I was a bit disapointed when I first used my Feather Artist Club with a Pro blade. I mean the blades are sharp and great but I was somehow expecting more because of their reputation. The DE's are great as well but I still haven't had a cut with one. There's a consistent attitude on Forums that these blades are for the 'experienced' shaver, a step up, a big boys blade kinda thing. Absolute bonkers. They're just razor blades.

To say they're not sharp is absolute bonkers as well and I would struggle to say that's a YMMV thing. I appreciate they're not for everyone though.

IMHO, cleaving is a better word. Hair is cut mostly by splitting it, so a razor blade is similar to a axe or cleaver.
The very definition of shave is to cut hairs with a razor. I use a wood maul to split wood lengthwise, and an axe to cut wood crosswise. I cut my whiskers crosswise for the most part, I never tried spitting them lengthwise. Of course you may have another definition of what cut and split means. But then, we're just splitting hairs.:001_smile

This thread reminds me of people arguing over what is the best color.
Well there are the "Blue Labs", the Yellow Feathers, Gillette 7 O'clocks of various colors, Gillette Silver Blue Pink Purples or whatever, Personna "Reds", Royal Reds. Is Polsilver a color? Or platinum, as in platinum blonde? Chrome can refer to a color, I think. What other colors are there?

I'm color blind, I can't tell the difference between blades.

Last edited:
I tend to agree with you, mr. OP, but not totally. YMMV applies with blades probably more than with anything else. They act different in different razors, your face and technique plays an important role in making and impression over a blade.

Feathers are sharp as they don't stumble across hairs like Derby and many others do, but, they are also mild shavers, at least for me. I never cut myself with Feather, but Derby or Gillette Silver Blues gave me occasional nicks.
In my mind, what you are explaining, can be applied to Gillette 7 O'clock Sharp Edge blades, and not Feathers. As, i, personally, find those more sharper and unforgiving than Feathers. And we're in YMMV territory.

It's hard to appreciate the sharpness of a blade more than how you feel that blade on your face. If it's going easily through whiskers, it's sharped than the one that's having a hard time in doing so.

Indeed, i agree that there is a hype with "one does not use Feather in first shaves". And i think that it actually does not serve this blade right. I find Feathers great blades, but kinda expensive. Anyway, i find that anyone should give them a try, simply because they are so liked by many people. They might find their favorite blade much faster than they were expecting. As beginner, any blade can cut you. If the blade is dull enough so it won't cut you, it can't shave you either. The sharpness differences are kinda small, but you might be able to feel them.

Feather blades last 7 days in my ATT. But if I use my Wolfman OC they last a week.

Aliens. Thar's always my goto answer.

So in the Alien Triming Technology razor it's technology so advanced its indistinguishable from magic.

In the Wolfman razor, clearly supernatural, it's just outright magic.

See how easy it is?

I can explain nuclear physics, too. But that's a different thread.

This thread reminds me of people arguing over what is the best color.

This is so true. It is also the most YMMV topic to maybe ever be discussed here. I basically only shave with three ATT razors, an M an S and an H. After every shave, I take the razor apart, clean it and put it in the rack, because with the exception of my slant, it might be up to a week before I use my M or H head again. I use dice to keep track of how many shaves on a blade, but don't pay much attention to what blade is in the razor. I tend to use "sharper" blades in the H head, and shave with it when I have time for a slow meticulous shave. I tend to use "milder" blades in the M head and use it when I am in a rush, or shaving for the second time in a day. I can't tell you how many times I have used my H head on a blade's second use, gotten an amazing shave, and said to myself, "Now that's the reason I use Feathers", only to take it apart and find a Seven O Clock Black, or vice versa. The same thing happens to me with Voskhods or Astras on my M head. I look for blades that perform similarly under the same circumstances in the same razor. I have found a handful that do. I'm sure there are more. I can't help but chuckle a bit when people universally declare one brand "junk", be it Shark or Feather, or Astra when a quick trip to Amazon will show you hundreds upon hundreds of nearly identical user ratings.

Let's face it. For every blade that one person can't stand, there are ten people who swear by it. If this wasn't true, they wouldn't still exist. There are just too many brands that perform similarly, at a similar price. Enjoy your shaves.

Just shows a lot of people can be really wrong :tongue_sm

Oh, I know. Reading reviews of anything on Amazon, especially shaving products, can be a riot, but when Shark SS (a blade I simply cannot stand to use), have a huge following, and the same four and a half star rating as Feathers..... Somebody out there must like them.

I do know you were just hacking on me, btw.

So how does the fearsome Feather do it?

The Feather is the most expensive, highly regarded, and yet utterly worthless DE blade on the market today. (this is both hard and unfair)

I look forward to seeing if anyone can find any reason to believe that a Feather is Sharp as opposed to just plain face scaring Scary.

The Japanese have always been top tier blade makers with sharpness no one can match for.......centuries!!

Why should their razor blades be any different??

Your theory is wrong!

I use five brands of blades regularly, and I use them until they are truly dull as in will not cut whiskers down to the skin. The brands I use and the number of shaves per blade I get routinely are as follows;
1.) Feather 30-35 shaves before performance is below standard.
2.) Astra SP 20-25 shaves per blade
3.) Voskhod 20-25 shaves per blade
4.) PolSilver SI 20-25 shaves per blade
5.) Gillette Silver Blue 18-20 shaves per blade

I can and have used Derby blades to 10-12 shaves per blade, Personna Med Prep 18-20 shaves per blade, and I have tried ten or so other brands but have only used 3-5 blades of each of those so I can't reliably say what they will do.

When your technique and prep are consistent and adequate, any blade should be able to give a passable shave.
Learning how to shave while putting the least stress on the blade is the key to blade longevity. Proper care and storage makes a difference as well. Your theory is wrong because there are too many knowledgable shavers who will concur that the Feather is indeed the sharpest DE blade made.

Your comments reflect your own opinion and is based on only your experience with the blades mentioned.
it's ok to have and opinion, but it's not gentlemanly to insist that everyone agree with it, When absolute truth exists, opinion is meaningless. And this post is nearing that point quickly.

If you don't like Feather blades, don't buy them or use them, it is after all your face and your razor. But please don't try to convince someone who knows better that Feather blades do not deserve the title of sharpest. Because the weight of empirical evidence is vastly against your claims.

To each his or her own, YMMV!

I'm going on 30+ shaves on my current Feather blade - lost track of the precise count, but roughly two months of every other day shaves. Not doing anything special at all except almost all the shaves were done immediately after coming out of the shower, so things were well hydrated. Still working beautifully, close & smooth.

Top Bottom