What's new

Explanation on how the Feather DE blade tricks you into believing its Scary Sharp.

+1. There are so many blades out there that it seems almost pointless to rail against one certain kind when you can spend your time figuring out which one works best for you and having some damn fine shaves!

In any case, if you do despise them so, I'd suggest sticking with what works for you. No sense in shaving with something you don't enjoy. There is such a vast ocean of blades out there that I'm sure you can find several that agree with your skin type and razor.

Feather is my most used blade. I get 5 shaves from a Feather most of the time. When I pitch a used Feather into my blade bank, it is still sharper than a fresh Derby, the blade I started with and still have plenty of. I have repeated this test several different times. I tried Astras and they were terrible for me.

I also use Gillette Yellows, Greens and Personna Med Preps. All amazing blades.

Conclusion: You can really only speak for yourself.

I think that Derby's are dull and yank my hairs similar to a cartridge razor. I also think that Feathers are sharp and for the record last 5+ shaves for me until they become as uncomfortable as a Derby. This has nothing to do with Feather's reputation and everything to do with the nature of the blades. Is it because sharper blades tug at hairs and dull ones remove them effortlessly? I don't think that's the reason personally, but I do agree with you that the AstraSP is a mighty fine blade. Just out of curiosity how much experience do you have with these three blades and what other blades have you tried?

I believe Feathers are sharper than others simply by the reduction of stubble on the first pass. However, they do cause spontaneous weepers in my EJ, enough so that I decided never to use them again.

But I tried one dialled down in my Gillette Slim recently and had no weepers so will use them up in that. The thing with shaving is it is a very slow learning curve in that you only shave once a day for a few minutes, so it takes weeks to try many combinations. And in that time your technique might improve so the first tests need to be repeated.

No wonder people end up with drastically different opinions, there's a lot of variables in play.

As a novice, I have found that Derbys are easier to work with and keep me from cutting my face off. Having stated that, I now have a little more experience to handle the feathers - somewhat. I find that skill is necessary to handle these suckers.

Okay, I have a relatively good control subject, since SO does not read forums/do shaving research/etc but just uses stuff I give him (I know, I know, this sounds weird!). Thus, he has no exposure to the commonly-held opinions about blades. So based on his mileage and no preconceived notions, he has experiences similar to many users on here: derbies are adequate but rough and often end up cutting more skin than hair, astras are smooth and sharp, and feathers (currently his favorite) are the sharpest of the bunch.

So my conclusion is that there's something about the blade itself and not just its marketing that makes it different from others, since he has never seen the marketing, has no idea what things cost, and hasn't observed any discussion of the blades.

I was really afraid when I tried a Feather for the first time after reading the gruesome stories, but to me it is the smoothest blade out there. I have tried at least 20 different blades, but none beats te Feather for me. Ok it only gives me two shaves, but it's the best two shaves in any of my razors.

Feathers are nice, but I don't really find them all that much sharper than many of the others.

Could be just a myth that has grown up around them. Or could it a very clever marketing ploy?

Feathers' Ninjaesque-super-sharpness myth originates from these American shaving boards, where people have the habit of taking things to extreme -- this blade is absolutely the sharpets, this other blade is now absolutely the best and the lates fad (Derby), no it's the Moscow-made blaes now, no it's this Personna blade now (Med) and all ought to praise it, etc. Perhaps the next fad is Bolzano, which is showing raise in acceptance and is exotic enough while being now also available in North American web stores.

My point is, these things tend to swell. And of course Mantic's vidoes have scared people away from Feathers, too.

I have not found Feathers to be any sharper than, say, Gillette Platinum Plus or current production Yellow 7 O'clocks. Both of the Gillettes shave much better, though, IMHO, and last significantly longer. The edge on the NOS Gillette, for example, seems to be simply so much better made that it is sharp without becoming rough -- and that won't render it any less efficient, just less-remarkable-feeling while retaining the ability to go ATG on three day's growth on the chin without pain. Yes, I have tried. Feather failed -- got stuck and drew blood. Maybe it is the 1960's and 70's R&D on blade coating and metallurgy, a result of actual competition for the bread-and-butter business with Wilkinson Sword and Personna, vs. a product that is a low-end, low-marging offering at Feather's product line.

I don't know. But Feathers need not be mystified or feared. It is just another blade that works well for some and not so well for others.

Feathers' Ninjaesque-super-sharpness myth originates from these American shaving boards, where people have the habit of taking things to extreme -- this blade is absolutely the sharpets, this other blade is now absolutely the best and the lates fad (Derby), no it's the Moscow-made blaes now, no it's this Personna blade now (Med) and all ought to praise it, etc. Perhaps the next fad is Bolzano, which is showing raise in acceptance and is exotic enough while being now also available in North American web stores.

My point is, these things tend to swell. And of course Mantic's vidoes have scared people away from Feathers, too.

I have not found Feathers to be any sharper than, say, Gillette Platinum Plus or current production Yellow 7 O'clocks. Both of the Gillettes shave much better, though, IMHO, and last significantly longer. The edge on the NOS Gillette, for example, seems to be simply so much better made that it is sharp without becoming rough -- and that won't render it any less efficient, just less-remarkable-feeling while retaining the ability to go ATG on three day's growth on the chin without pain. Yes, I have tried. Feather failed -- got stuck and drew blood. Maybe it is the 1960's and 70's R&D on blade coating and metallurgy, a result of actual competition for the bread-and-butter business with Wilkinson Sword and Personna, vs. a product that is a low-end, low-marging offering at Feather's product line.

I don't know. But Feathers need not be mystified or feared. It is just another blade that works well for some and not so well for others.

It is not just the "American" boards my friend. Don't believe me, take a look at some popular European boards as well.

just using the blades makes me believe they are sharper than the average blade... i don't need to see pictures... i can feel it.

All I know is Feather blades are sharp and they can last for up to 12 shaves (1 pass) for me.
Derby's don't do that.
Astra's don't do that.
Personna Med Prep don't do that.
Sharks... well you get the picture.

My conclusion is that Feather blades work the best of what I've tried (and I've tried more than I've indicated).
No hype here, just solid results.

I do a three pass shave. Derby does fine, three shaves. Shark, great - 2 shaves. Astra - great, 3 shaves. Laser - Don't get one near my face - crap for me. Dorco - 1 shave. Feather, 1 shave .

It all comes down to YMMV. I don't know and don't care what blade is 'sharper'. I just know what gives me a great shave and what I can use for a back-up blade if I run out. I currently have 90 shark blades left, a heap of Astra, and a handful of various others. Feather? They don't work for me so why buy them?

I will revisit each blade when I get a different razor, because this might just change the quality of the shave.

Regards,

Paul

The reason some people believe that Feathers are sharp is because, in the right razor...when it works, it is almost an effortless shave. More than any other blade? That I cannot say. But there is something in the manufacture of the blade that causes irritation and/or nicks to some people.

Consider this; the blade edge is tapered to an extraordinary extent, thereby making it sharp. But, if that sharp edge were not straight or even or perhaps even jagged, what results could be a sharp blade that causes nicks/irritation. Of course it is just a guess.

The reason some people believe that Feathers are sharp is because, in the right razor...when it works, it is almost an effortless shave. More than any other blade? That I cannot say. But there is something in the manufacture of the blade that causes irritation and/or nicks to some people.

Consider this; the blade edge is tapered to an extraordinary extent, thereby making it sharp. But, if that sharp edge were not straight or even or perhaps even jagged, what results could be a sharp blade that causes nicks/irritation. Of course it is just a guess.

I also find they cause spontaneous, on-contact weepers for the first shave or two. My gut feeling is that they have rough spots, caused either by coatings or bits of wire edge.

The Feather's metal is honed flat, but has a bulky coating that easily breaks.

This really makes sense to me. An uneven coating at/beyond the edge would explain why the first shave breaks skin for no apparent reason. As soon as the coating wears off it reveals a good edge, giving good shaves.

Thanks, SiBurning, for the ingenious micrographs and analysis.

Last edited:
Here is why I judge the Feather to be the sharpest: The other brands (only about 8-9 different brands) I have tried work well in my Fatboy when I set it at #7, but the Feather works well at #5. I have also found that the Feather adds spark to less aggressive razors such as the Tech Ball end and the SSs so that I enjoy shaving with those razors more when they are loaded with Feathers. That's why I buy Feathers and that is why I consider them the sharpest. I also noticed this month that the Feather outperformed the SI (Super Iridium) when I hung in there for 16 shaves on the SI and just could not stand it any more. The guys on the Feathers were much more content with their shaves.

But every face and beard is different so I am not discounting your personal experiences or those of others by any means. I am about to try a Derby and a Persona Lab for the first time (by virtue of a blade swap thread)-- currently my favorite blades are Persona Israeli (aka Crystals) and Feathers--- but I am very anxious to see how the lowly Derby performs! Some guys on this forum seem to really like them!

Top Bottom