What's new

Correct method of adjusting Gillette Slim / Fatboy

I'm not familiar with the correct operation and thought I would ask.

Is the correct method of changing the adjustment (number) to first loosen the TTO doors to release pressure on the blade; or is it to change the dial while the blade is under pressure in order to view the resulting blade gap?

TIA,

kents

The Gillette adjustables are designed to be adjusted with the blade doors slightly loose. You don't need to loosen much; just undo the last 1/4 turn that you need to lock it down, adjust, then re-tighten. You should still be able to view the resulting blade gap that way.

The Gillette adjustables are designed to be adjusted with the blade doors slightly loose. You don't need to loosen much; just undo the last 1/4 turn that you need to lock it down, adjust, then re-tighten. You should still be able to view the resulting blade gap that way.

Good advice. Just make sure that it is not tight.

The original instructions that came with the razors didn't mention anything about unlocking the razor to change settings, so it seems like they were designed to work just fine that way. That said, these things are 60+ years old, there's no need to put extra stress on the mechanisms if there's a simple way to avoid it.

That said, these things are 60+ years old, there's no need to put extra stress on the mechanisms if there's a simple way to avoid it.

That was the logic I have been using to try and ensure that I didn't put too much pressure on what I figure is an old part.

Edit: Sounds a bit like me now that I think of it. :001_tt2:

Last edited:
The original instructions that came with the razors didn't mention anything about unlocking the razor to change settings, so it seems like they were designed to work just fine that way.

Despite that, on my Slim, the so-called quarter turn lock varies depending on what number is set. I cannot believe it is safe to tighten then adjust.

On checking ... if you set it to 1 and tighten to just before it becomes hard to turn, then try moving the adjuster up toward 9, you will find the lock has partially tightened.

Further check ... the tightening knob's final position is the same, no matter what the setting. So I think it's just a matter of causing unnecessary stress/wear to parts.

Top Bottom