What's new

Alcohol in after shave causing acne?

Is it possible?

It's interesting because all the acne Websites tell you not use an alcohol based after shave because it dries out your skin, but I've found that when I use Aqua Velva, my skin becomes extremely oily about two hours after applying it.

This is interesting indeed. Most times, alcohol merely acts as a carrier. Most of the alcohol evaporates as soon as it touches your skin. That burning sensation you get from AV is a by-product this action on your freshly shaven face. It could mean that whatever else is in the AV is triggering the skin to produce more sebum. What else is in AV, anyway?

In addition to SD Alcohol 40-B, we have Water, Glycerine, Fragrance, Menthol, Benzophenone 1, Ext. Violet 2, Blue 1.

I think I have freakish skin. It doesn't seem to completely absorb anything. There's always a bit of product that I can feel on the surface of my skin.

As I mentioned above, by mid day, my skin looks tremendously oily whereas if I don't apply any products, it's ok.

Might be the menthol. It removes the oil on the skin. In some cases, this causes your face to want to produce more oil than neccesary to make up for it. You might want to compliment the AV with a moisturizer just to tell your skin that it's fully moisturized, and it doesn't need any more oil.

I'm starting to think that alcohol a/s give me breakouts - no real explanation for it but I'm really thinking they give me problems.
I'm going to cut out all the alcohol a/s for a month or so, see what happens then try some of them again for a couple days to compare.

I have found that most alcohol based A/S don't agree with my face. I started to use thayers witch hazel have have had zero irritation. I am also trying a few samples of Booster and going to see how they work. I used the Boosters once and it was ok. I need to try them out more to be 100% sure.

The big conflict for me is that the alcohol based after shaves are the only thing that will stop me from getting razor burn when I do a three pass shave with the last pass being against the grain. I've found that balms and Thayers, as well, don't give me enough defense.

Of course, if the after shave is giving me acne, it's not worth it. I'd rather have a beard than pimples.

I don't think that alcohol makes you break out per se. Like other have said above, it will tend to dry out your skin and that can make present acne more irritating. Also, (if you're using them) topical acne medicines tend to dry out your skin quite a bit in the first place, so most dermatologist recommend staying away from products with alcohol because it will further dry out your skin.

In terms of alcohol making you more oily, it does seem reasonable. The alcohol will dry out your skin, and in response to the lack of moisture your skin will produce more oil.

I also think something like Thayer's Witch Hazel would be a good substitute for alcohol based aftershaves.

I have found that most alcohol based A/S don't agree with my face. I started to use thayers witch hazel have have had zero irritation. I am also trying a few samples of Booster and going to see how they work. I used the Boosters once and it was ok. I need to try them out more to be 100% sure.

I have some Booster too and they don't seem to be too bad - if you read the label, alcohol is the 2nd ingredient and most/many other alcohol a/s list it as the first or main ingredient. I think the Booster stuff tends to be on the more mild side of alcohol splashes. Especially the Polar Ice w/ the glycerin.

ymmv though

I have some Booster too and they don't seem to be too bad - if you read the label, alcohol is the 2nd ingredient and most/many other alcohol a/s list it as the first or main ingredient. I think the Booster stuff tends to be on the more mild side of alcohol splashes. Especially the Polar Ice w/ the glycerin.

ymmv though

I was wondering if you would list the ingredients of the aftershave. I'm looking to try Booster's but I'd like to know what else is in it before I purchase.

I don't have the bottles in front of me, but I believe they goe like this:

Polar Ice: water, alcohol, fragrance, menthol, glycerin, coloring
Aquarius: water, alcohol, fragrance, coloring

very simple products

In terms of alcohol making you more oily, it does seem reasonable. The alcohol will dry out your skin, and in response to the lack of moisture your skin will produce more oil.

This is exactly what's happening. The alcohol is stripping your skin. In order to compensate for the loss of the natural oils, your sebaceous glands kick into overdrive & start cranking out oil.

I guess I sort of knew this, I just didn't expect it to be as out of control as it is. It's weird because when I first apply the Aqua Velva, my face doesn't look particularly dry. Maybe it's dryer than it appears. I've decided that I'm gonna have to find another after shave.

The big conflict for me is that the alcohol based after shaves are the only thing that will stop me from getting razor burn when I do a three pass shave with the last pass being against the grain. I've found that balms and Thayers, as well, don't give me enough defense.

Of course, if the after shave is giving me acne, it's not worth it. I'd rather have a beard than pimples.

You could try a balm that has some alcohol in it, if alcohol stop you from getting razor burn. I think some of the Nivea and Clinique balms may have a bit of alcohol in them. Or possibly try an aftershave that has a bit less alcohol, but a bit more than the alcohol content than regular Thayer's (their superhazel formula has 20% alcohol).

I believe that alcohol based after shaves work best for people with oily skin, for the simple reason that the drying effect of alcohol causes the skin to produce more oil if the skin is stripped of too much oil. When someone with dry skin uses alcohol based products, it will probably lead to excessive oil production which causes clogged pores and acne.

I have oily skin, and alcohol based after shaves work better for me than alcohol-free splashes/balms/what-have-you; it strips just enough of the oil in my skin to leave me fresh and smooth feeling.

Is it possible?

It's interesting because all the acne Websites tell you not use an alcohol based after shave because it dries out your skin, but I've found that when I use Aqua Velva, my skin becomes extremely oily about two hours after applying it.

ALL AS's I've used, splash or balm, leave a film on my face. I just stopped trying to find one I liked years ago. Once I quit cold turkey, I found I did not need them to feel comfortable and/or moisturized. The only post I use is baby powder once in a while.

I don't have the bottles in front of me, but I believe they goe like this:

Polar Ice: water, alcohol, fragrance, menthol, glycerin, coloring
Aquarius: water, alcohol, fragrance, coloring

very simple products

All the Booster products have some glycerine - this is directly from the source.

I'm not sure why they don't all say this - I have the Aquarius and I can tell it has glycerine.

Another good product is Musgo Real AS splash - lots of good stuff, including glycerine - very nice on the skin and a classic scent to boot.

Top Bottom