What's new

Bloc Osma Alum - Good/Bad Reactions?

I'd like to try out an Alum Bloc

I've read some reviews about the Bloc Osma Alum, most of which were positive,
but some of which noted that bad skin reactions were a result of using it. This seems
odd to me as I've read that cheapo ammonium alum will give one a chemical burn
but a potassium alum shouldn't.

How could something so minimal (ingredient-wise) cause a chemical burn? Are these
reviews perhaps misrepresenting the product - maybe the burn was related to something
else?

$13 sounds kind of pricey for such a small item - I'd like to be sure I don't get burned
in more ways than one here. ;)

Thanks for the guidance as per usual fellas - I have been directing less and less of my
health/grooming question to SWMBO since I've found you. :thumbsup:

I'm not sure how large a city Halifax is, but if you have some sort of foreign supermarket, you may find alum blocks there for considerably less cash. Here in Zürich, one of the Turkish stores has a few simple shave items (alum blocks included).

I just purchased my first alum block. The brand is shavex and it csme with q case for $12 shipped from amazon.

I use it after every shave. It works as an astringent, like witch hazel. No burn for me, just a pleasant "tingle". Although it may be pricey, it will last for a good while, longer than a year, unless you get fumble fingers and drop it. It will fracture and break. Ask me how I know ...

Rick

I've always thought the Bloc Osma product was overpriced. QED and The Shave Den offer alum blocks for $4-$5.

Check your health food store deoderant section. You can get a good size block of potassium alum for about $4.00 in a plastic case. It is sold as a deoderant but is exactly the same stuff sold for shaving. Stay away from the ammonium alum.

I had some Bloc Osma (until I dropped it & it shattered). It would sting a little at first, but didn't cause any lasting irritation.

Most people seem to use potash alum, but some members here have said they use ammonium alum as well. Ammonium alum may sting more and may make your face more red..... but you will not get a chemical burn from it. If that were true, you would also get a chemical burn using it under your arms. I agree however that anything over $10 is too much to spend on alum no matter how long it lasts. The cheap ones last just as long. Razorock sells one for $6 with a case and built in handle so you will be less likely to drop it.

I paid $9 for my Bloc Osma. If one is getting a major sting or irritation, it's because they screwed up their shave more than likely. Potassium Alum is sold as a deodorant and it's the rare person who will have an allergic reaction. I use alum or witch hazel, sometimes both with alum first and rinsed off. As my tagline points out, in alum there is truth. It gives you sensory feedback as to how good a job you did on your shave as well as having astringent and, possibly, soothing properties.

Bloc Osma is great. before trying it I used a .49 cents alum block from an indian market, It made my face very very red and irritated. But after switching to Bloc Osma, problem solved. Great stuff.

Well, gee, Toddy, if we could get get them at our local pharmacies or Indian groceries we would. Not all of us have that option.
I highly recommend you Do NOT, I repeat do NOT get your alum at the indian markets for cheap. The ingredients used in the cheap alums are very very harsh for your skin. I don't recall exactly but the cheap ones are made of sodium something, and the expensive ones are made of potassium something.... anyone can compare the ingredients? I used to have the exact comparison...

I have used both a "Thai deodorant stone" (no idea which alum formula it is) and the RazoRock stick, both feel pretty similar on my face...which is to say alum will tell you just how much you over-did that last touch-up pass ;) It stings a bit upon first application for me after most shaves, but the sting dies down after a few seconds and I feel like the net is slightly less of an abraded feeling later in the day. Definitely worth trying out, but I'd spend less at first, until you have decided if it needs to be part of your daily regimen.

The RazoRock is about half the total size of most "deodorant" stones, but should last for years; my Thai stone is at least two years old and is less than half gone, oh yeah, and it's a great deodorant too!

I've got the osma block. Unless I get stupid with my shave it's just a light tingle. It does seal any weapers, and I rub it on pimples when they come up and it dries them up in a couple days. I got mine before I knew what else was out there.

I bought my Osma block for $9 and last order I did with QED I was able to purchase one of their house brands for $4. It is not as smooth initially, but becomes like glass after a few uses.

My Alum is nearing end of life, Is the Bloc Osma potassium alum? Seems like people are favorable to the Osma product. My current block is a cheap Turkish product that is low end, and I'm looking to do better on the next go-round.

-- John Gehman

I use it every day and always have a spare. But it'll last you for well over a year. You don't want a bigger bar - this one gets into all those spots you want.

I use it for two reasons - here's why it's priceless to me:

One, I rub my hands on it before shaving which makes the likelihood of me dropping my (straight) razor nil + I can pull on my wet skin better too (something you should do when using a st8).

Two, rubbing it over my face after every shave has given me the ability to know exactly where I am using too much pressure (where it stings - u have used too much pressure - otherwise you don't feel a thing) and kills the burn before the aftershave.

One other nice little touch is that if you forget to buy that underarm deodorant you meant to get to - it works for that to!

Last edited:
Top Bottom