What's new

Gem OCMM

I was lucky enough to win 2 Gems in PIF's recently. Today I took the OCMM for it's first spin. All I can say is WOW! I loved the feedback from it. It was a little tough to hold it as flat as is needed, I'm used to a Long Comb NEW. I got a DFS, almost a BBS shave. I credit the little stubble to the trouble I had building lather on my first run in a scuttle. It seemed to pull a little more than my NEW with Gillette Rubie's, but there was no burn afterwards. One little weeper, again, I'm gonna blame the lather. All in all, fine shaver, fine shave, and I look forward to many more.
Johnnie

The Gem OCMM is a bit more aggressive than the NEW, I think. If you like the OCMM you would also like the Clog-Pruf, 1912, Damaskeene, and maybe the G-Bar. The entire GEM family is hard to beat, though they vary from aggressive to mild.

The Gem OCMM is a bit more aggressive than the NEW, I think. If you like the OCMM you would also like the Clog-Pruf, 1912, Damaskeene, and maybe the G-Bar. The entire GEM family is hard to beat, though they vary from aggressive to mild.
The other Gem I was PIF'ed is a Clog-Pruf. Gonna give it a spin next. Then its back to my OC's for March.
Johnnie

Shave #2 with this work of art. Two and a half passes. WTG, ATG, XTG on my jaw line. BBS. No irritation. The kind of shave you get once a month or so. The shaving gods showed mercy on me. I don't think it will replace my NEW, but it's definitely taken a place in my rotation.
Johnnie

Congrats!! The MMOC is an effective whisker whacker. Try lifting the head slightly from your face, lying the razor flat on your face doesn't really work all that well. YMMV.

I just won one the other day on ebay,only 5 bucks and it was very clean.I'm waiting for some Ted Pella blades so I can give it a spin.Walgreens in my area doesn't carry se blades,bummer.

Ok, third shave with the OCMM. I can't say enough good about this razor. It WILL bite you, but it will also leave you BBS most of the time, and give a DFS the rest of the time. I'm going to put it up, reluctantly, and try the Clog Pruf for a few turns, before the kick off of OC March. This Gem has earned a permenant place in my rotation. I recommend picking up the next one you find at a flea market.
Johnnie

I see constant discussion about DE blade choices. I also have recently acquired a Clog-proof Micromatic Gem, but haven't got blades for it yet. One of the local chains marked their SE blades down to sell them off, and the empty bins haven't been cleared of the mark-down tags. Another chain stopped carrying SE quite some while ago.

I used a Star, I am almost certain, as the first of several family hand-me-downs I had in my early teens, when my whiskers were still soft, blonde fuzz that just grew back relatively fast (I had to shave about once a week to satisfy the coach who was tasked with enforcing that part of the HS dress code). Two of the three disappeared after about 1958, when I started shaving nearly every day. I looked for a Gem or Ever Ready similar to my best recollection of what I used then, only found this Micromatic.

j bradley im glad to see you enjoying the razor.it looks like your getting hooked on them like i did.your really going to like the clog prufe too.

Congrats!! The MMOC is an effective whisker whacker. Try lifting the head slightly from your face, lying the razor flat on your face doesn't really work all that well. YMMV.

Yep, like you said Sledge, but MMDSV (my mileage does surely vary). I started out with the recommended light pressure (c'mon, we all know no pressure isn't in the cards unless you shave with only one downward pass) and the recommended angle. Rather later I followed Gem's emphatic recommendations and kept the head flat on my face, applying enough pressure to bring the skin and hair into contact with the blade. Huge difference in blade longevity and no burn at all.

I don't mean to harp on this, but give it a try. You do have to be very mindful about keeping the angle low, but with the design of these razors that's pretty easy.

Johnnie, very good to hear your appreciation of these "gems". I've been DE shaving more and more of late and really liking the experience also.

One curious fact:
Before shaving with the low-angle, head flat on face technique, I found the differences in razors to be exactly that expressed by others...OCMM most "aggressive", Clog Pruf less so, Flying Wing mildest. Now, using my current technique, essentially *no difference* at all between them. Nor between them and 1912 head. Now if I don't pay attention to keeping the head flat, the OCMM will surely let me know! More so than the wing. But if I don't screw up, absolutely no difference.

I think that's because the guard bar/comb geometry and blade exposure plays very little role the way I do it now.

Yep, like you said Sledge, but MMDSV (my mileage does surely vary). I started out with the recommended light pressure (c'mon, we all know no pressure isn't in the cards unless you shave with only one downward pass) and the recommended angle. Rather later I followed Gem's emphatic recommendations and kept the head flat on my face, applying enough pressure to bring the skin and hair into contact with the blade. Huge difference in blade longevity and no burn at all. I don't mean to harp on this, but give it a try. You do have to be very mindful about keeping the angle low, but with the design of these razors that's pretty easy. Johnnie, very good to hear your appreciation of these "gems". I've been DE shaving more and more of late and really liking the experience also. One curious fact: Before shaving with the low-angle, head flat on face technique, I found the differences in razors to be exactly that expressed by others...OCMM most "aggressive", Clog Pruf less so, Flying Wing mildest. Now, using my current technique, essentially *no difference* at all between them. Nor between them and 1912 head. Now if I don't pay attention to keeping the head flat, the OCMM will surely let me know! More so than the wing. But if I don't screw up, absolutely no difference. I think that's because the guard bar/comb geometry and blade exposure plays very little role the way I do it now.
Interesting observations Woodfluter. I tried the GEM suggestions for all three of the MM razors and it did not work for me. I had to slightly raise the head to give me the angle needed for a good shave. I find it amazing how a particular razor works differently for others. As long as we all get a great shave from our razors that's all that matters in the end.

Tried the Clog Pruf today, but really didn't give it a fair shot. I am participing in OC March, and thought "Why would I use a new blade for 2 shaves and then change to an OC?" Like a try dummy, I didn't think about putting it in the OCMM in 2 days! Even with the blade that I took out of the OCMM (See, total blonde moment!) I got a DFS. I'm not sure how many shaves these blades are good for, that was number 4 on this one. Like I said, DFS, no burn, a little pulling, but nothing horrendous. I'll put a new blade in it tomorrow, then move it to the OCMM for OC March.
Johnnie

When I used a ocmm with GEM SS blades, I got anywhere from 6-10 shaves before they began tugging me. I miss my ocmm

You guys make me feel very glad I pulled the trigger on a GEM OCMM. Now, I just have to wait for it to get here.

I think the OCMM and Clog-pruf razors have the best balance and heft out of the entire line of GEMs. Also, they don't mess around when it comes to getting the job done.

Top Bottom