What's new

Buffalo Trace...White Dog

Hey All,

Has anyone had a chance to try Buffalo Trace White Dog?? Their version of legal moonshine, any Pro's or Con's?

Can't find it in Oklahoma, so when I go to Vegas in between gambling I'll be on the lookout for this and Very Old Barton-Bottled in Bond.

Thanks!!
Cohiba

proxy.php

Very Old Barton/Bottled in Bond
proxy.php

I have tried it. I have a small bottle that I picked up at Bevmo. I have never tried moonshine, so I don't have anything to compare it to. I am glad that I tried it and it is interesting to realize how much flavor the barrel adds to the spirit. To me, it was very similar to sipping a shot of vodka (although a bit harsher because of the higher alcohol content). Now that I have tasted it I can't say I a much of a fan.

A few of my friends reached a general consensus that Georgia Moon[shine] tastes like concentrated corn juice and fire while White Dog Mash #1 tastes like spicy corn juice and fire. (The White Dog has a much more balanced flavor, but it still packs a MEAN punch.) I think this difference probably has more to do with the fact that "white dog" is a term for whiskey that's meant to be put into barrels whereas "moonshine" is just meant to get you drunk. If you feel like searching around, you can find out which mash (#1, Rye, Wheat, etc) gets aged into which bourbon. Now this has almost none of the distinctive bourbon characteristics that you'd look for in a whiskey, but if what you're looking for is something different to try just once, White Dog may be what you're after. I thought it was pretty neat to try since I'm from the land of bourbon, but I plan to stick to the aged product for 99% of my whiskey needs. On the other hand, I doubt my fellow tasters would ever willingly touch the stuff again. Oh, and there are (suprisingly?) moonshine and white dog cocktails out there on the net.

Just a head's up, Buffalo Trace is doing some interesting things these days. If you're a fan of both bourbon and Bailey's, the Bourbon Cream is worth looking into. I know that there are White Dog Rye Mash and White Dog Wheat Mash out there somewhere. I also spied some experimental bottles of whiskey, one containing rice and the other containing oats, but $60/375mL is way out of my budget. If one of you guys is lucky enough to have tasted any of those bottles, I'd love to hear your opinions.

I would certainly be interested in trying it. As I recall though from the last time I looked at it it's more expensive than the aged stuff. I often wonder how much of the mashbill you can really taste in the raw stuff and how much comes out after maturing in oak. In fact, it would be fascinating to take a "tour" of a particular bourbon from still to finished product. Something like 2 oz samples of white dog, 1 yr old, 3 yr old, and 5 yr old from the same recipe.

I would certainly be interested in trying it. As I recall though from the last time I looked at it it's more expensive than the aged stuff. I often wonder how much of the mashbill you can really taste in the raw stuff and how much comes out after maturing in oak. In fact, it would be fascinating to take a "tour" of a particular bourbon from still to finished product. Something like 2 oz samples of white dog, 1 yr old, 3 yr old, and 5 yr old from the same recipe.

As close as you'll come at present is to take the bourbons made with the same mash. Of course there are some differences between the bottles other than age, but you can find a list of some of the mash/bourbon pairs here and here. And just so you don't have to go looking at these links, the list is:

• Mash #1: Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, George T. Stagg
  • Wheated Mash: WL Weller, Pappy Van Winkle
  • Rye Mash: Sazerac 6, 18, Van Winkle 13, Thomas Handy

Of course there are other white dogs out there that you can find them and match with their mature versions.

Top Bottom