What's new

Walmart Wilkies

I've used them for several years. Or whatever blade Walmart sold. They changed recently I think. Or maybe they just changed the package. Anyway, I have always got a SAS from them. Sometimes better, seldom worse. I had no idea there was anything else or any difference in blades until I started coming here.
Johnnie

I may try them again later. I'm still in my first month of this. But at $1.75 for the pack, I just threw those out. I'll get my sampler and see what else I can find that works for me.

I have to agree with the folks saying that the Walmart black case Wilkinson's are crap. Yesterday I used a new Wilkinson with an Old type. I have used a long comb NEW and an Old with Astra SPs, red Personnas and Feathers over the last couple weeks. Those blades and razors gave me fine shaves.

The Wilkinson ripped my face up. I had bad razor burn on my cheeks and neck that I could feel all day long. At first I thought I might have had an allergic reaction to the T&H 1805 cream I used (despite using it twice before without issue), but today I used VDH soap which I know I'm not allergic to. I started a first pass WTG and it was pulling very bad. I swapped out the Wilkie for a new red Personna and finished up the shave without issues.

This is definitely my worst blade so far! Derby's don't work too well for me either, but the Wilkie was MUCH worse.

Yeah but if you've found *the* blade, why switch? Even if you save 2/3 of the cost of the Feathers, what's your annual savings? But I'm getting sucked into the Feather black hole and recently ordered a hundred to add to my stash of Astra and Personna Lab blades.

But back to German Wilkinsons. If they weren't from Walmart I bet people would love them.

I disagree, I want to like them because they are so easily attainable.

I suppose that is why we noobs are told to try as many blades as we can to find the one that works for them. I tried the Wilkinson Sword from Walmart after the Derbys and I found that they work well for me. But, I am looking for a "not too sharp" blade that is consistent throughout the week and that was what I got from the Wilkinson. I almost decided to stop my search but told myself that wouldn't be right since it was only my second blade. I liked the Derbys too, except for the first and second shave when the blade seems to be sharper and I'm more prone to making an error which results in bleeding.

I hope you find that blade that works well for you, and find it quickly. Good luck.

I will have to agree with most people here and say that the Wilkies Swords are decent blade. I am new to DE shaving and having fun trying different blades. The Walmart Wilkinson Swords gave me a decent shave when I tried one when I had just started DE shaving. I still have the rest of the pack to revisit and will get back to them. I am having too much fun trying different blades trying to figure out which ones work best. I think everyone should do this. Yes you may love your blade that you shave with every day and can't be bothered to try other blades. But what happens if you can no longer obtain them because they get pulled off the market?? You are stuck watching the F/S/T and ebay stocking up on your favorite blades.

I like the Wilks, I only restarted to DE shave recently. I started with a very inexpensive kit, $30 tops and this included TTO DE razor, boar brush, 3 pucks of VDH and 3 packs of the Wilks. My first shave left me with several weepers and plenty of irritation. Thankfully I persisted (technique is everything) and I now I get a DFS with the blades and toss after 3 uses (I get irritation on the 4th shave). I've won a couple of blade PIFs and have several blades to try and will post my findings on them soon. I will certainly use the Wilkys as my benchmark and continue to use them until I find "The One"

They were my first blade and I still keep them around. There are better blades out there but for price and availibility, they're good blades.

As always, YMMV.
I used a pack of them when WM first switched over from Personna, and they were pretty good. Not great, but pretty good. Certainly good enough.
However, different blades have different "personalities," which can be influenced by choice of razor, one's technique, and the way God made one's face.
I'd say if they work for you, cool. If they don't, don't waste time or mental/emotional energy hating them; just use a different brand.

Pax, y'all! :001_cool:

I keep the Wally Wilkinson Sword blades in mind for the day when I'll need to pick up blades after traveling, and I have a few left from a pack, but they're not my favorite. I recently tried one in my R41 and didn't like it in that razor, though it seemed to be much more workable in my other razors.

The Astra SPs are my go-to blades.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Working fine for me, I'm not sure where your burn is coming from but you didn't mention what razor you are using. Consistent prep and technique have shown me that many different blades work just fine for me and I'm also using Gillette razors that I'm quite familiar with such as milder TTO Aristocrats and Super Speeds.

As always, YMMV.
I used a pack of them when WM first switched over from Personna, and they were pretty good. Not great, but pretty good. Certainly good enough.
However, different blades have different "personalities," which can be influenced by choice of razor, one's technique, and the way God made one's face.
I'd say if they work for you, cool. If they don't, don't waste time or mental/emotional energy hating them; just use a different brand.

Pax, y'all! :001_cool:
I used an Old type and got bad results. Previously I had used a Wilkinson Sword in my Merkur HD and it was just ok. I'm not trying to convince anyone that they're crap, just agreeing with other posters who have had bad experiences with them. It's great it they work for you guys, but I'm staying away. I have a 100 blade sampler to go through and there are many brands I like much better already. Astra SPs and Feathers are my go to blades.

Im sticking with the Personnas.I get them from my local Sally Beauty Supply for $2.19 with my club card.
I may try the Wilkes,but so far the Personnas are working for me.

I've resisted trying these, but for $1.75 I'm going to give them a try after seeing they get decent reviews overall.

As others have said, after more than one year de shaving now, my technique and prep allow me to use pretty much any blade with good results.

You'll find posts saying "_______ sucks" for every brand of blade, razor, soap, cream, post shave product, brush, etc. The only way to *know* anything is to try them yourself. That's why the suggestion of sample packs for blades and samplers for soaps and creams is so often made. With regards to the German Wilkinsons, you will either hate them, feel meh about them, or love them. And it will have only cost you a couple bucks to know for yourself.

These blades are being sold by Walmart. Did you expect top shelf? I've tried them and they're OK. They don't match up to my top shelf blades but they will work in a pinch. Someone once said, "you get what you pay for".

Somebody around me must like them cause the slot is emptied most of the time at the Wal-Mart near me. I have seen it stocked on a few occasions.

Top Bottom