What's new

Acquisitions Monday May 29 - Sunday June 4

Today yielded some nice prizes:
- Thayers Lemon from Rainbow Natural Foods - If you are in Ottawa and want Thayers W/H this is the place to go.
- Baxter of California A/S Balm (as per Scotto's suggestion in my Best Bargain Balm thread)

I picked up the Baxters at the MenEssential store, which is located less than 10Km from my place. It is not a beautiful store, but it has some great stuff. And samples! I left with the following samples:
- Anthony Logistics Pre-Shave Oil
- Anthony Logistics Shave Gel
- Anthony Sport Bar of Soap
- Anthony Sport Face Scrub
- Anthony Sport Lightweight Face Lotion
- MenScience Advanced Shave Formula
- T&H 1805 Shave Cream
With all of those samples I left ME feeling like it was Halloween or something.

After a very long wait, T&H finally made good on a replacement for my little ebony super badger which had been shedding like a madman:

IMG_2241_2_1.JPG

IMG_2242_1_1.JPG

It will be good to get her in the rotation again.

Scotto said:
After a very long wait, T&H finally made good on a replacement for my little ebony super badger which had been shedding like a madman:

IMG_2241_2_1.JPG

IMG_2242_1_1.JPG

It will be good to get her in the rotation again.

From Ashford.com?

Stopped by a little cigar shop this afternoon (for a pack of smokes) and noticed that they sell AOS gear. Since I haven't had any experience with AOS I thought that I should give them a try. Picked up AOS Lemon Cream and AOS Alum Block. I don't know if it was just the store that I was in, but the products seem a shade on the expensive side... is AOS worth the money, or is my cash better spent on other things?

NMMB said:
Stopped by a little cigar shop this afternoon (for a pack of smokes) and noticed that they sell AOS gear. Since I haven't had any experience with AOS I thought that I should give them a try. Picked up AOS Lemon Cream and AOS Alum Block. I don't know if it was just the store that I was in, but the products seem a shade on the expensive side... is AOS worth the money, or is my cash better spent on other things?

I read some where some wise man at B&B wrote they are overpriced most AOS is crap but some of their cream is quite ok to shave . that is now what I have in my mind overpriced for most items but a good quality lather...

AOS shave creams are actually very good. Some gents here would disagree but that is only my opinion. As far as their other products, yes they are overpriced.

Got some goodies from the fine folks at Baudelaire Soaps:
IMG_2244_1_1.JPG

Green Tea shave cream
Verlaine aftershave (have the green tea already and love it)
Verlaine cologne (have the green tea already and love it)
green tea and seaweed exfoliating bar
Freebie of Apricot bath salts

So,

I think the general view is that AOS creams are expensive but good ("very good", Austin; "Great stuff", Scotto) while the other stuff is OK but does not represent the best bang-for-your-buck, so to speak. I'll have to give the AOS cream a try tomorrow and see what I think (I expect the Lemon will be nice and refreshing, especially since it has been very warm and humid here for a few days...). Once again, thank you for your opinions.

NMMB said:
So,

I think the general view is that AOS creams are expensive but good ("very good", Austin; "Great stuff", Scotto) while the other stuff is OK but does not represent the best bang-for-your-buck, so to speak. I'll have to give the AOS cream a try tomorrow and see what I think (I expect the Lemon will be nice and refreshing, especially since it has been very warm and humid here for a few days...). Once again, thank you for your opinions.

You can also get samples at Nordstroms.

roughrider said:
You can also get samples at Nordstroms.

Well... not without driving for hundreds of Km's. To the best of my knowledge there are only 2 places in Ottawa (my present hometown) where I can get AOS; the cigar shop where I picked it up today and Holt Renfrew.

Still, I guess that I can't complain too much since ME is only a short drive away.

Salter Vetiver Shaving Cream (Ah! The smokiness of it!)
Geo. F. Trumper Astor Cologne
full

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday, no shaving equipment, but:

-Jack Wolfskin trekking pants
-Jack Wolfskin trekking shoes "Proceed men"

But today, shaving stuff:

-1x10 APOLLO blades No.10 (pictures will follow)
-1x10 APOLLO blades N0.15 ( ditto )
-Trumper's Limes skin food

Regards

Thomas

Ron, any chance of getting a review of the Vetiver cream? Is it high quality? Gentle on the skin or potentially like a welding torch flame for more sensitive skin?

water said:
Ron, any chance of getting a review of the Vetiver cream? Is it high quality? Gentle on the skin or potentially like a welding torch flame for more sensitive skin?
My pleasure. I used it this morning. It is the vetiver lovers vetiver! No perfume this cream, real smokey vetiver. Salters house is not one to scrimp on quality or cut corners either. Excellent quality lather, lubricates without greasing.. Somewhat of a moisturizer after the shave too.

The Salter's Vetiver is an acquired taste, so to speak. I found it to be everything Ron says it to be but it really has, what could be called a vile aroma by some, myself included. Try to mooch a sample first, if you can.

slcsteve said:
The Salter's Vetiver is an acquired taste, so to speak. I found it to be everything Ron says it to be but it really has, what could be called a vile aroma by some, myself included. Try to mooch a sample first, if you can.
Ah, then you don't like the smell of vetiver. I love it! The smokier, the better. This is the REAL DEAL! It is hard to be leive that a grassy plant can smell so excitingly smokey..:001_wub:

Top Bottom