What's new

Very First EdT -- how to apply?

Grey Flannel eau de toilette, my first EdT -- smells good.

How should a man apply an EdT? This one comes with a sprayer. Spray the air and walk through the mist?

One does not want to reek of scent, but one wants the scent to be noticeable.

Also, I have a sample vial of Green Irish Tweed by Creed. The vial's stopper has an applicator. Is this a "pulse point" kind of scent?

Welcome to the Frag forum!

When applying a frag for the first time, I start with one spray to the chest and a half or quarter spray to each wrist. Once I figure out how strong a frag is, the next time I can add an extra spray or two as necessary.

The applicator wands...I hate those. I can never get the right amount applied. Try to load it up and hit your wrists and sides of your neck though. I find it requires a good 10 to 15 'dips' into the vial.

"I find it requires a good 10 to 15 'dips' into the vial."

Srsly? That seems like a lot of cologne.

What the heck, I'll give it a try. If people give me the stinkeye in the elevator I'll know I overboarded it.

As for the vials, I don't even bother with the little applicator wand. Just cover the opening with your wrist, turn over and kind of swirl it around in a circle against your skin. Flip it back over and rub your wrists together. The neck is a little trickier this way, and I rub it into my neck with my wrists. Depending on how heavy of a scent you're applying/how long it lingers, you may need to do this more than once (see: 10-15 dips with the applicator). Just play around with it until you find something that feels right.

"Just cover the opening with your wrist, turn over and kind of swirl it around in a circle against your skin."

Ah -- one of those things that makes sense once you hear about it. Thanks!

It's better initially to err on the side of wearing too little. You can always put more on later. (I personally think GIT is pretty strong.)

I bought several quality refillable atomizers which I like to use. They work great for sample vials which you can simply pour right in, but they also work great for refilling with your favorite bottled frags. I don't like most atomizers that come with full bottles because they tend to dispense too much frag and are harder to control.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qul79-znwmg

If you have to use an elevator I would strongly suggest not using Gray Flannel. The scent is fine in very small doses but you don't want to be "that guy". Stick with the GIT and a dab or 2 or the wrists and a dab on the chest. I put the vial up to my wrist and move up and down about and inch and then rub together. Gray Flannel is tough to wear in a corporate environment (using it is since you are using an elevator at work). I don't work in corporate so I wear whatever the hell I want to now:)

"If you do not want to reek, do not wear Grey Flannel."

You may be right. I like it, but Mrs Elliott is due home shortly and I shall ask her. I consider her opinion about this fragrance to be paramount. The ladies at the strip club expressed appreciation for the scent, but the demimonde cannot be trusted.

"If you do not want to reek, do not wear Grey Flannel."

You may be right. I like it, but Mrs Elliott is due home shortly and I shall ask her. I consider her opinion about this fragrance to be paramount. The ladies at the strip club expressed appreciation for the scent, but the demimonde cannot be trusted.

Seriously, a lot of guys love the scent. I'm obviously not one of them, however some things I do like others find repulsive. If you like it, wear it.

"Gray Flannel is tough to wear in a corporate environment (using it is since you are using an elevator at work). I don't work in corporate so I wear whatever the hell I want to now:)"

LOL -- I'm totally retired! I used the image of the office building elevator as an example. I am happy that I don't have to appease co-workers -- so I, too, can wear whatever I choose . . . but the idea applies: one does not want to offend others with one's scent.

So, is Grey Flannel considered to be an obnoxious fragrance?

--
Jack, who is kind of digging it. (Mrs Elliott is not yet home to provide her perspective.)

For application, I hold the bottle a couple of inches from my wrist and spray once. Lasts most of the day on me.

I don't think it's considered obnoxious by everyone. I bought it based on what I read alot of people saying on here. Turns out, I personally don't really care for it, but it's not really, really bad. I keep hoping I'll grow to like it. It's happened with a couple of other frags, so you never know.

"Gray Flannel is tough to wear in a corporate environment (using it is since you are using an elevator at work). I don't work in corporate so I wear whatever the hell I want to now:)"

LOL -- I'm totally retired! I used the image of the office building elevator as an example. I am happy that I don't have to appease co-workers -- so I, too, can wear whatever I choose . . . but the idea applies: one does not want to offend others with one's scent.

So, is Grey Flannel considered to be an obnoxious fragrance?

--
Jack, who is kind of digging it. (Mrs Elliott is not yet home to provide her perspective.)

Alright then! Heck then wear and enjoy it! Light though. I will say the dry down is very nice and it really does mellow out after an hour. Obnoxious.....not for most but many overused it in the past and gets a bad image. Kind of like the way rocked Lagerfeld and Aramis and they both repulse me and my dad today. You only live once....try it and if its not the wifes liking then kick it to the curb.

Jack, I just noticed that you live in Bend, OR. I used to live just up the road in Redmond, but that was over 30 years ago now and I am sure I wouldn't recognize the place anymore. I also frequently order online from www.livesuperfoods.com and was suprised to discover that they are located in Bend.

Grey Flannel is kind of an ephemeral lightweight, so just dump it over your head and let it drizzle down your personage as liberally as a bucket shower at summer camp.

Kidding.

I love Grey Flannel. Two sprays to the chest, one to the back of the neck, one to the stomach, then put your shirt on and go forth. It's strong but it doesn't have infinite longevity and you'll want to get at least seven hours out of it. The violet leaf keeps it from being torture to those around you who happen to hate it - violet leaf is prominent in Grey Flannel and ironically most people are either anosmic to it, or get olfactory fatigue from it after five minutes.

The violet leaf keeps it from being torture to those around you who happen to hate it - violet leaf is prominent in Grey Flannel and ironically most people are either anosmic to it, or get olfactory fatigue from it after five minutes.

The violet leaf is what makes me dislike it. when i spray it on I think wow such a rich true green scent...after 20 minutes its like i'm being beat over the head with violets and it doesn't go away for HOURS. I keep waiting for the oakmoss and sandalwood but all I smell is violet leaves...

Funny because I really love Gucci PH II and it has a prominent violet leaf note but that note fades after 10 minutes...

Top Bottom