What's new

Horse hair brush

I bought one from Bestshave.net. It is the large one. It is a bit softer than the boar brush, but IMO it works about the same. The smell of the brush when it is new is a bit rough. I soaked in borax solution and washed it with shampoo and it was less pronounced. It took about 4 shaves to get rid of the smell.

I've been using a Turk #6 from BestShave for almost a year now. It's my favorite out of a collection of 10 brushes. They do come with a fairly harsh smell when new, lathered mine with shampoo a few times and saturated it with cheap aftershave, end of problem.

I like mine so much I sent for 2 more because every time I find something I like it's taken off the market.

I have one from bestshaving.net also and 2 via long all are very good brushes. The Via longs are both much softer then the bestshaving brush. All get regular use and are preferred over my more expensive brushes. The smell on the via longs was less then on the bestshaving but all went away pretty quick.

The jury is still out for horse hair brushes as far as I am concerned. I have used 3 Vie Long brushes fairly regularly and have just binned one of them. With me....the knots seem to tangle at the base and become very dense.

I have several Vie-Long horse hair brushes....any of the 23mm knot versions will be a good way to start.The Vie-Long is the finest horse brush made...The 23mm knots have enough horse hairs to whip up soaps or creams.Don't expect them to be dense like a chubby,but they are dense enough to get the job done.The pro barber brushes in "extra" quality are also very nice,but this economy brush takes a while to master,as only the tips are used with a minimum of pressure.

Had my first shave with a horse hair brush today using my new Vie-Long 13061.

On the positive side this brush can make lather with little or no work.
The built quality is impressive.

On the negative, it is a stinker right out of the box.:blink:

I have a Vie-Long 13061 horse hair. They are very nice brushes. Soft and luxurious.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the 13061 is excellent. Good with both soaps and creams. Bullgoose is also expecting a number of new Vie-Long brushes, some of which are horse, and blends of horse and badger. I plan to expand my family of Vie-Long horse brushes, while still using boars and badgers, too.

I have a Vie Long Horse hair, can't remember the number. I must say it's my least favorite brush. It's scritchy and uncomfortable, and does not make the best lather. I used some time to try to break it in. It got better, but it still is my least loved brush.

A Vie-Long 13061 is a great brush for both soap and creams. I face lather with it and it does have some scritch, but I find that it is getting softer all the time. The giftsandcare.com site has what appears to be the full line of Vie-Long brushes.

When I break Sabbatical; I intend to pick up another Vie-Long brush, either a 13052 or a 14832. Unless that beehive exclusive from bullgoose gets me......

I have a Vie-Long 13061 horse hair. They are very nice brushes. Soft and luxurious.

full

Hey, that's my order! I'm expecting that exact same brush and a Satin Futur from Bullgoose. That brush always looks better in people's pictures than it does the product picture itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, that's my order! I'm expecting that exact same brush and a Satin Futur from Bullgoose. That brush always looks better in people's pictures than it does the product picture itself.

It's kind of hard to tell with it under all that lather but it is a very nice brush.

On your Futur, watch out... they can bite you if you are not paying attention.

Not to scare you but you might want to read some old posts about it.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/266069?p=3690449#post3690449

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...eeded-by-new-Futur-user?p=3614156#post3614156

Last edited:
I've got a horse/ badger, but not vie long. Been wanting to try just horse. My mix holds a bucket of water~! Does the Vie longs act this way or horse in general?

FYI : For those who have been waiting on the #6 brush from bestshave, it looks like they're back in stock. Get `em while they're hot.

Mark

Turtle, thanks a lot for those links! I've been reading reviews (sometimes mixed because of the uneven gap thing) but picked up some great additional info from those.

I don't want to hijack the horse hair brush thread but you can grab one of those old posts and bring it back to life if you want to ask questions about your Futur so you will be ready for it when it arrives.

Turtle, thanks a lot for those links! I've been reading reviews (sometimes mixed because of the uneven gap thing) but picked up some great additional info from those.

Top Bottom