What's new

DIY Straight Razor Storage

Can someone please point me to a link (or display a pic) to a good DIY straight razor storage solution? I have 7 and counting. I remembering there being something along the lines of a cigar box holder but can't find it in a search here.

Many thanks.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Thanks. Since moving to Kamisori my favorite 7 folders are in a 7 slot box, and the rest are in a pelican case. The legos have been retired.

Wasn't there a plastic box someone found at Walmart that they made into a 7 day set holder? I can't seem to find the thread...

I got a Cuban cigar box from a tobacconist in town and shellac'd it.
Then my wife bought home some closed cell foam from work.
All I need to do is cut out the shapes of the razors.
Looks really cool I think.
photos to come

Legion

Staff member
I know of a tobacconist who keeps all the boxes from the Cuban cigars and will sell them for a few buck. The only problem is that the massive Australian health warning sticker (complete with gory photos) is impossible to get of, and usually covers some of the cool looking Cuban labels.

For individual blade storage I use travel tooth brush holders but I am getting too many straights for this to be practical now :(

proxy.php

I can tell you what is not a good storage solution. Leaving just over a dozen razors in toothbrush holders in a canvas carry bag but forgotten about and left un-oiled in the hallway and ignored for 6 or 7 years. :eek:(
The worst of it was, I had a few pretty good razors in that bag - couple of Bismarks, two Dbl Ducks and a Puma along with others. Can you spell R-U-S-T! The one that broke my heart was the mint condition Puma with all the original Gold on the blade. The blade was completely covered in rust. Fortunately, as bad as it looked it was only surface rust so it did clean up, but I now have a shiny silver blade without the original gold wash. Oh well - guess its just a user now.

Normally I keep all my good collectible razors together but somehow a few of them ended up in this bag that I had no idea existed.

My advice from this experience: Regardless how or where you store your razors, keep some oil or such on them and ALWAYS KNOW WHERE YOUR CHILDREN ARE!

I know of a tobacconist who keeps all the boxes from the Cuban cigars and will sell them for a few buck. The only problem is that the massive Australian health warning sticker (complete with gory photos) is impossible to get of, and usually covers some of the cool looking Cuban labels.

looks like i will have to go look for some cigar boxes sent over from indonesia. AFAIK they dont have the disgusting health photos/warnings.

$DSC_0406.jpgFinished box with roughly 15 layers of shellac.
$DSC_0407.jpgInternal view with Otto Busch World Traveller (perfect for me) for size scale
$DSC_0405.jpgA new box ready to be adjusted. Considering just using clear varnish on this one leaving the stickers.
I get these for €2.50 from a tobacconist in town who then donates the money to a local homeless charity

My other hobby is collecting fountain pens, and I've remodeled quite a number of nice cigar boxes into fountain pen storage. Although some don't have the length for straights (fountain pens rarely exceed six inches long), I think they work quite well for straights as well.

If you are interested, visit my blog and see some of the boxes I've done.

BamaPen

I used the deeper half of cigar molds. Here's a shot with most of the blades removed. A little crushed velvet and they fit beautifully.
proxy.php

Attachments

• $4384396155_b941135028_b.jpg
    $4384396155_b941135028_b.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 218
i use a coleman pick-nik tableware holder that swmbo said i could have after she stored the tableware in the camper.

Attachments

• $DSCN0652.jpg
    $DSCN0652.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 236
A "French-fitted" case I made from Walnut for a single razor. Bottom inside is brown felt lined. Obviously, you could have multiple cut-outs if you wanted. Especially if you know anyone with a CNC router! I had to make a little 'support block' underneath the closed razor so it sits level in the case. It's just visible in this pic.

Attachments

• $hess 44 001.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
Top Bottom